Why can't devs put maximum effort into visuals for games?

LokiFire

What?

Witcher 3

Metro Last Light

Uncharted

The last of us

Far Cry 4

GTA V

Tomb Raider

The Order 1866

MGS V

Crysis

Mad Max

battlefield 4

Arkaham games

Star Citizen

etc etc-  there are tons of amazing looking games on the market

And you crossed those out because?

Mad Max looks amazing, i love going into the photo mode and panning around and making amazing screenshots 

TLOU + Uncharted has insane graphics - Uncharted 4 so far looks insanely good (considering its a shitty PS4)

Frostbite engine is impressive,and runs great

The arkahm games are amazingly well optimized (except for knight) and look really good!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

And you crossed those out because?

Mad Max looks amazing, i love going into the photo mode and panning around and making amazing screenshots 

TLOU + Uncharted has insane graphics - Uncharted 4 so far looks insanely good (considering its a shitty PS4)

Frostbite engine is impressive,and runs great

The arkahm games are amazingly well optimized (except for knight) and look really good!

I have TLOU... it's pretty bad compared to what PC can do, it ticks boxes on PS3 because well.. PS3.

And we are fighting opinions now so this will not go anywhere.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

I have TLOU... it's pretty bad compared to what PC can do, it ticks boxes on PS3 because well.. PS3.

Well yes, of course its bad to what PC can do, but you have to admit, for a console that came out over 10 years ago it looks insanely good! 

That means naughty dog put in maximum effort into visuals

Of course its opinion, but you presented it like a fact that no developers make good looking games, when im my opinon, plenty of modern AAA games look amazing, including some amazing indie games with impressive art styles

Since consoles are lead platforms, and since the average PC has a shit graphics card, there is no point making games like Metro Last light, when only 10% fo people can play it on max settings

When a game like Fallout 4 has great gameplay, functional graphics, and everyone can enjoy it even on a mediocre PC - it makes more sense

until the hardware catches up, and while consoles are still holding us back - its hard for a dev to put effort into visual when nobody will see them

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

For the time it release the TLOU was very impressive, it was on PS3 for gods sake something that was 7 years old at the time. Even the PS4 version is very striking visually. I don't know how you cannot cross out MGS:V and then cross out the TLOU... 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Well yes, of course its bad to what PC can do, but you have to admit, for a console that came out over 10 years ago it looks insanely good! 

That means naughty dog put in maximum effort into visuals

Of course its opinion, but you presented it like a fact that no developers make good looking games, when im my opinon, plenty of modern AAA games look amazing, including some amazing indie games with impressive art styles

Since consoles are lead platforms, and since the average PC has a shit graphics card, there is no point making games like Metro Last light, when only 10% fo people can play it on max settings

When a game like Fallout 4 has great gameplay, functional graphics, and everyone can enjoy it even on a mediocre PC - it makes more sense

until the hardware catches up, and while consoles are still holding us back - its hard for a dev to put effort into visual when nobody will see them

I thought this was the PC section, consoles get more love when it comes to exclusives, we had ours with Crysis but that game is actually trash thanks to the way it was coded.

Witcher has nice textures, it however has pretty bad lighting..

Yet again we need mods.

I don't see how this is any better. The video quality is really shitty, I will give you that.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I don't see how this is any better. The video quality is really shitty, I will give you that.

Witcher unfortunately is complete garbage with lighting it just uses god rays everywhere, Ass Creed  does a better job except that's one buggy ass game :(

I think lighting is very subjective most of the time, I think that exaggerated lighting mods for something like skyrim look better, are they realistic? no, not really but it all comes down to preference, if you can have a game that looks good to you through mods then great, but you don't play games for the visuals alone, I mean I played runescape for the longest time and I didn't really care about the visuals clearly. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Answering your question

Why can't devs put maximum effort into visuals for games?

Hardware is not powerful enough. Some games are already using full or almost full potential of flagship GPUs. And those games looks really well as guys mentioned above.
Lets imagine that there are game witch you can run only with SLI 980Ti or greater setups. And now lets imagine game's sales :)

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

I think lighting is very subjective most of the time, I think that exaggerated lighting mods for something like skyrim look better, are they realistic? no, not really but it all comes down to preference, if you can have a game that looks good to you through mods then great, but you don't play games for the visuals alone, I mean I played runescape for the longest time and I didn't really care about the visuals clearly. 

I play CSGO not for visuals... i know what you are saying, perhaps i went a bit far with my argument :/

Answering your question

Hardware is not powerful enough. Some games are already using full or almost full potential of flagship GPUs. And those games looks really well as guys mentioned above.

Lets imagine that there are game witch you can run only with SLI 980Ti or greater setups. And now lets imagine game's sales :)

exactly, they're companies after all, if the hardware isn't there to support the increased visual effects there is no point in developing them, you're developing nicer graphics for the sake of the 0.2% of the pc gaming market, I guess they could do it and lie to the consumers *cough* *cough* the division.   

I thought this was the PC section, consoles get more love when it comes to exclusives, we had ours with Crysis but that game is actually trash thanks to the way it was coded.

Sure but your question is still related, we cannot escape that there are not many exclusives since most deves are mutliplatform

But we do still have PC games designed to run and look amazing on top end beastly PCs

But yeah, since the target audience of beastly PCs is tiny, its silly for a game dev to make games for these people since nobody will buy it

speaking of good looking games I'm really looking for kingdom come deliverance. It looks rather sweet. 

speaking of good looking games I'm really looking for kingdom come deliverance. It looks rather sweet. 

Looks like Chivalry a bit

The answer to the original question—'why can't devs put maximum effort into visuals?'—is that there is a balancing act to be made between accessibility for the audience, budgetary constraints, time, and manpower. It's a game, not an art installation, and that's why "maximum" effort cannot be put into visuals.

I know that's a mind-numbingly obvious answer, but my point is that's about all there is to this discussion that isn't based in opinion.

Doom 3, while still a good looking game is not all that impressive to todays standards if you take away the mods.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

Surprised nobody has mentioned AC; Syndicate. It's one of the best looking games I've ever played and has some of the best lighting I've ever seen in a game, without mods. It's also fairly demanding. I can't run it at 1080p ultra on my 980 and maintain 60fps, even with a hefty OC on the card. I have to run it on the very high preset (which still looks amazing, IMO) to maintain 60. 

One thing holding back gaming visuals is the conslows (consoles). Limited hardware = limited visual fidelity/capability. That being said, I am surprised at how well games do look on the consoles. But that, of course, comes at the cost of significantly reduced frame rates.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Surprised nobody has mentioned AC; Syndicate. It's one of the best looking games I've ever played and has some of the best lighting I've ever seen in a game, without mods. It's also fairly demanding. I can't run it at 1080p ultra on my 980 and maintain 60fps, even with a hefty OC on the card. I have to run it on the very high preset (which still looks amazing, IMO) to maintain 60. 

It really is a good looking game in many areas, although it's a downgraded Unity (that game has glorious interiors).

144Hz goodness

It really is a good looking game in many areas, although it's a downgraded Unity (that game has glorious interiors).

I never played Unity, so I can't make the comparison, but I'll take your word for it. I remember seeing footage of Unity thinking it looked really good - a step closer to realism in game graphics. But it had so many problems, I didn't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole, lol.

In AC:Syndicate there are moments where my mind is telling me I'm looking at a real image. It's boarding that uncanny valley of environment. I believe the lighting plays a significant role in this. If you look at textures up close, yeah some of them aren't so great, but that's the thing; in real life you don't walk up to walls and stare at them 12 inches from your face. You take in your surroundings as a whole and very rarely is anything directly right "in your face".  

A lot of people praise Wicher 3 for it's graphics, but IMO it doesn't look real to me. It looks good, but not real. In that sense, I don't find the visual in TW3 all that impressive, tbh.

Star Wars: Battlefront is a great example of a game that looks really good with almost photo-realism, yet isn't hard to run on lower end hardware. Great visuals with good performance can be done, but it depends on how well the game engine is optimized and how much detail the devs want to cram into the game. There's a heck of a lot going on in AC:Syndicate at any given time, which puts an additional workload on the CPU and GPU.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Star Wars: Battlefront is a great example of a game that looks really good with almost photo-realism, yet isn't hard to run on lower end hardware. Great visuals with good performance can be done, but it depends on how well the game engine is optimized and how much detail the devs want to cram into the game. There's a heck of a lot going on in AC:Syndicate at any given time, which puts an additional workload on the CPU and GPU.

Until you realize that EA sucks at making games without freaking bugs EVERYWHERE @Iamdarkbowser

In AC:Syndicate there are moments where my mind is telling me I'm looking at a real image. It's boarding that uncanny valley of environment. I believe the lighting plays a significant role in this. If you look at textures up close, yeah some of them aren't so great, but that's the thing; in real life you don't walk up to walls and stare at them 12 inches from your face. You take in your surroundings as a whole and very rarely is anything directly right "in your face".  

A lot of people praise Wicher 3 for it's graphics, but IMO it doesn't look real to me. It looks good, but not real. In that sense, I don't find the visual in TW3 all that impressive, tbh.

I get what you are saying, the Witcher 3 looks good (it has superior character models imo), no doubt, but it doesn't look very real, its environments are very artistic but the lighting in Unity/Syndicate gives it a very smooth and realistic look. On the other hand I'd say it is easier to make a city photorealistic than it is to make a farmland photorealistic as plants, trees and grass need a lot more processing power.

"Optimized" is such a buzzword anyway, all of the games you mentioned run on very scalable engines (turning back the settings results in playable framerates even with lower end hardware), Battlefront is a very pretty game (arguably the most beautiful around) and DICE are masters at creating convincing visuals, but I wouldn't compare it with a gameworld as dense as TW3/Syndicate.

144Hz goodness

Until you realize that EA sucks at making games without freaking bugs EVERYWHERE @Iamdarkbowser

We're not talking about bugs though. We're talking about graphics/visuals and performance, specifically. ;)

I get what you are saying, the Witcher 3 looks good (it has superior character models imo), no doubt, but it doesn't look very real, its environments are very artistic but the lighting in Unity/Syndicate gives it a very smooth and realistic look. On the other hand I'd say it is easier to make a city photorealistic than it is to make a farmland photorealistic as plants, trees and grass need a lot more processing power.

"Optimized" is such a buzzword anyway, all of the games you mentioned run on very scalable engines (turning back the settings results in playable framerates even with lower end hardware), Battlefront is a very pretty game (arguably the most beautiful around) and DICE are masters at creating convincing visuals, but I wouldn't compare it with a gameworld as dense as TW3/Syndicate.

Yep, totally agree. 

As for creating/rendering realistic forests, grass, countryside etc. check out a game that's currently in development called Kindom Come: Deliverance. If you look for footage on youtube, make sure it's fairly recent footage as they've been making more improvements to the lighting/environment over time. Needless to say, they've done an amazing job so far. :) Makes TW3 look like a cartoon. :P (I'm exaggerating, of course).

https://www.kingdomcomerpg.com/media

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Witcher 3, SW: Battlefront, Battlefield 4, Killing Floor 2, Shadow of Mordor, Arkham Knight.. the list goes on. There are games which have stunning graphics, but point taken, there are some old games which look just as good as an average game of today.

Spoiler

Everyday build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960x - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X99 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Intel 750 Series 1.2TB + 4TB WD Black - Case: Corsair 760T White - PSU: SeaSonic 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Wireless Adapter: TP-Link Archer T9E - Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB - Mouse(s): Corsair Gaming M65 RGB + Logitech MX Master - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WhyK99 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/474247-r8-my-build/

Weekend build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5930k - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 - Motherboard: ASUS X99-Deluxe - RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 & 2TB Samsung 850 Evo - Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv - PSU: SeaSonic SnowSilent 1050W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Home - Monitor: Dell S2716DG 144hz - Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB - Mouse: Corsair Gaming M65 RGB - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YYK93C

Witcher 3, Star Wars Battlefront, Rise of the Tomb Raider (technically 2015, but on pc 2016), Bloodborne

I can add a few as well

Witcher 2 (It still runs at 50fps maxed on a 980 Ti :D)

Battlefield 4

Legend of Grimrock 2 is impressive

Dragon Age Inquisition looks good

MGS V

GTA V is neat as well

Homeworld Remastered

SC2 has the best CGI I've ever seen

Black Mesa (Source engine)

Divinity: Original Sin (can't wait for 2 ^_^)

As for older games,

Half Life 2 (2004) was a milestone

Witcher 1 (2006-ish IIRC)

FEAR 1/2

And of course, Guise of the wolf deserves a mention :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6