Intel's 10nm cpu code name Ice Lake and Tiger Lake

And you think that microsoft isn't adding in other ways of spying on windows 10 users?

If they were people would be able to see it on their router and network and there'd be an article up about it within hours. It's not hard to sniff packets for where they're going. You can shut it all off.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

What I'd like to know is what generation, node, socket, whatever, would most likely have its desktop Celeron CPUs being faster than my 4790K would be if overclocked to about 4.5-4.8 GHz.  I'm thinking I might want to upgrade around then, although I may also consider upgrading sooner as well.  I'm maxed out on the 32 GB RAM and have run out a few times, but only very occasionally; so it's probably not yet worth it for me to upgrade for at least a few years.  I was likely thinking of keeping my current PC till somewhere around 2022-2025 or so.

Or, how long does it take for a new generation's mobile passively-cooled Atom-Y CPUs to outperform an older generation's i7-X or $4k+ Zeon x2?  (Or do we have to go back to before the "Core" name was even used?)

What I'd like to know is what generation, node, socket, whatever, would most likely have its desktop Celeron CPUs being faster than my 4790K would be if overclocked to about 4.5-4.8 GHz. I'm thinking I might want to upgrade around then, although I may also consider upgrading sooner as well. I'm maxed out on the 32 GB RAM and have run out a few times, but only very occasionally; so it's probably not yet worth it for me to upgrade for at least a few years. I was likely thinking of keeping my current PC till somewhere around 2022-2025 or so.

Or, how long does it take for a new generation's mobile passively-cooled Atom-Y CPUs to outperform an older generation's i7-X or $4k+ Zeon x2? (Or do we have to go back to before the "Core" name was even used?)

You can get a 4x16 kit of DDR3 that's non-ECC.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

You can get a 4x16 kit of DDR3 that's non-ECC.

I didn't see it on pcpartpicker, and besides that, my Z97 chipset doesn't support more than 32 GB.  I'm not planning to get a new mobo until it's time to get a new PC, or my ASRock Z97 Extreme6 dies.  One thing I might consider in a few years or so, pending availability, would be something like a 64GB PCI-Express SSD, if the cost is in line with RAM, taking into account the performance difference.  (Then I'd use it as a swap disk.  I wonder if one would ever be available in that size (or 32 GB) that's as fast as the NVidia Pascal GPU RAM is supposed to be... I've heard rumors of 1 TB/s...)