i7 920 vs i5 6600k

hello everyone i just wanted to start a conversation about something me and my friend were talking about. I have a i7 920 OC at 4 ghz while my friend has a i5 6600k at stock, we both want to know whos processor would win in a "fight" so i decided to see what you guys would think. I'm not looking for answers like "you have a higher frequency so you would win" I'm looking for answers about the 6 generation gap between them and has that really helped the 6600k. i would greatly appreciate everyones answers and opinions on this because i would love to know the answer.  

he would win

6 generations

minimum 5% improvement

he has a minimum 30% improvement

realisticaly we are talking 50-60%

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Straight up, frequency when it comes to chips is a meaningless metric when comparing two CPUs unless they're the same architecture with other similar specs. I think in a lot of scenarios, the 6600K would win(due to the vastly superior architecture), but in highly multi-threaded scenarios, even if the 6600K would win, the 920 would still be able to at the very least be competitive.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The newer one would be faster.

Single threaded scores would still be amazing on the i5 compared to the i7.

By 6 generations, a 15% improvement each generation would be 2 times better.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

The 6600k would crush the 920, the ipc difference between the two is gigantic

me and him were both wondering about ipc and i kinda figured his would be better

me and him were both wondering about ipc and i kinda figured his would be better

Skylake is a vastly superior architecture, both in IPC and also power efficiency.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

now a different question is should i upgrade to a 6600k myself, i dont really like to spend alot of money so thats why most of my stuff is used but would it be worth it?

now a different question is should i upgrade to a 6600k myself, i dont really like to spend alot of money so thats why most of my stuff is used but would it be worth it?

My question for you is this: do you think you need to upgrade?

5-15% IPC depending on the application per generation of chip. Clock for clock, core for core (each processor at X speed) would result in 30-90% improvement due to IPC alone. You then need to take into account the difference from Hyperthreading on the i7, which can shoot the gap (according to Intel) by roughly 20-30%, and this would only apply to cases in which Hyperthreading was fully utilized.

The Skylake will wreck an i7-920 in every conceivable test. A good place to look for results ->

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sxzGshuqVtFe_2zgRhN3gXCraR7d8p-NazJ6z0nsGGc/edit#gid=1868502473

i5-6600k at 3.5GHz = 599

i7-920 at 4.0 GHz = 584

Wins at a .5GHz and 4 thread deficit.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

This isn't for for the clock speeds you're running, but to give you some numbers and a general idea:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/47?vs=1543

(not that much info out there on a direct comparison probably due to the large age difference between the chips)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

My question for you is this: do you think you need to upgrade?

seriously idk, im still running games nicely and i would like to go another 3-4 years with the 920 but with all the new processors coming out the games i would want to play wont be optimized for the old chipset so right now im kinda stuck 

seriously idk, im still running games nicely and i would like to go another 3-4 years with the 920 but with all the new processors coming out the games i would want to play wont be optimized for the old chipset so right now im kinda stuck 

I mean if games are running nicely for you and you see no reason to actually upgrade, you can save your money unless you're just itching for an upgrade.

OP the 6600k's probably better at well everything besides being a space heater.
If memory serves me right,the generational gaps make it something like if ...
Nahalem-1
Westmere-1.1 (+10%)
Sandybridge-1.49(+35%)
Ivybridge-1.64(+10%)
Haswell-1.8(+10%)
Broadwell-1.89(+5%)
Skylake-2.08(+10%)
and with the turbo being 3.9Ghz on 6600k... theoretically using my  above numbers representing a rough estimate of IPC
6600k SkylakeIPC*Clockrate*ThreadCount  (2.08*3.9*4)=32.448
920 NahalemIPC*Clockrate*ThreadCount    (1*4*8)=32

and that's assuming hyper threaded cores really are DOUBLE the strength of non hyperthreaded cores... then again I also made rough rough assumptions on IPC

6600K, and significantly. The 920 is based off of the general Core 2 Duo architecture while the i5 6600K is still built on the Core i-series architecture.

Can you please explain this more? 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

920 is... Nehalem or Bloomfield, if I remember correctly. 6600K is Skylake, which is a nice improvement over Sandy Bridge, which still comfortably pummels the old i7s.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Naaa i7 920's competitor was the Phenom II x6.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

920 is... Nehalem or Bloomfield, if I remember correctly. 6600K is Skylake, which is a nice improvement over Sandy Bridge, which still comfortably pummels the old i7s.

920 is Nahalem, Bloomfields the chipset if I remember correctly or something like that... I'm still just curious about the phrasing "is bassed of the Core i series architecture" despite the fact the 920 is still a Core i series part... 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

920 is Nahalem, Bloomfields the chipset if I remember correctly or something like that... I'm still just curious about the phrasing "is bassed of the Core i series architecture" despite the fact the 920 is still a Core i series part... 

I mean the Sandy Bridge-on architecture. I know it's an entirely different layout than pre-Sandy, but I don't think it ever got an official name.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

OP the 6600k's probably better at well everything besides being a space heater.

If memory serves me right,the generational gaps make it something like if ...

Nahalem-1

Westmere-1.1 (+10%)

Sandybridge-1.49(+35%)

Ivybridge-1.64(+10%)

Haswell-1.8(+10%)

Broadwell-1.89(+5%)

Skylake-2.08(+10%)

and with the turbo being 3.9Ghz on 6600k... theoretically using my  above numbers representing a rough estimate of IPC

6600k SkylakeIPC*Clockrate*ThreadCount  (2.08*3.9*4)=32.448

920 NahalemIPC*Clockrate*ThreadCount    (1*4*8)=32

and that's assuming hyper threaded cores really are DOUBLE the strength of non hyperthreaded cores... then again I also made rough rough assumptions on IPC

Hyperthreading is about 50% better, GENERALLY, DON'T QUOTE ME

Any PSU is modular if you try hard enough....

6600K, and significantly. The 920 is based off of the general Core 2 Duo architecture while the i5 6600K is still built on the Core i-series architecture.

No whey bro, Core i7 is the first of a new generation, Nehalem, not based Core 2 Duo

CPU: Xeon X5650 6C/12T @4.87Ghz GPU: R9 390 Strix RAM: 16Gb Kingston Fury 1866Mhz Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Storage: Kingmax 240Gb SSD 3x 1TB's Case: Fractal Design Define XL with 480mm Radiators + 360mm Radiator PSU: Enermax Revo95+ 920W Speakers: Logitech Z-5500D THX Surround Sound System Headset: Audio-Technica ATH700X Audio: Creative SB ZxR Moniter: BenQ 27Inch 1920x1080 Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Mouse: Logitech G9x/Microsoft Basic Optical OS: Windows 10 Pro Insider

hello everyone i just wanted to start a conversation about something me and my friend were talking about. I have a i7 920 OC at 4 ghz while my friend has a i5 6600k at stock, we both want to know whos processor would win in a "fight" so i decided to see what you guys would think. I'm not looking for answers like "you have a higher frequency so you would win" I'm looking for answers about the 6 generation gap between them and has that really helped the 6600k. i would greatly appreciate everyones answers and opinions on this because i would love to know the answer.  

Buy a X5675 or a W3680 or 90. If you have a 1366 platform you have zero reason to upgrade right now unless you plan on running triple SLI or have extremely heavy multi-threaded workloads for a business. The i7 920-60 crap is slow but the Xeons are extremely fast and overclockable and best of all very very cheap, buy a good used one and spend the rest of your money upgrading the GPU.

A X5675 at 4.3 is about the equivalent of a 4790k at 4.9. Not exactly but in my humble opinion that is a fair enough comparison.