The Audio Board's Recommended Gear

SSL

Im tired and cant be bothered to write much but i will just say this. They have completely flat bass extension you wont find in any other headphone, great mids and no treble peaks. The sound signature changes slightly depending on what revision you try but if you want a hd 650 with greater bass extension and slightly more of everythign else then these are the phones for you.

I disagree with "don't get an M40x, get a M50x instead". the M50x has better staging, more forward vocals, and better bass. The M40x is a linear headphone in terms of staging, making them perfect for studio monitoring. the M50x is better for music listening since it has a more "3d" soundstage. Tried them both, liked the M50x better.

in the end, TRUST YOUR EARS! Listen to the cans you want if you can before buying them. Reviews won't matter much if you don't like the way your cans sound. 

30 minutes ago, gilang01 said:

I disagree with "don't get an M40x, get a M50x instead". the M50x has better staging, more forward vocals, and better bass. The M40x is a linear headphone in terms of staging, making them perfect for studio monitoring. the M50x is better for music listening since it has a more "3d" soundstage. Tried them both, liked the M50x better.

in the end, TRUST YOUR EARS! Listen to the cans you want if you can before buying them. Reviews won't matter much if you don't like the way your cans sound. 

Silly to quibble over the dimensionality of soundstage when neither of them are very good in this department.

"Trust your ears" goes without saying; no surprise there. As it says in the OP, this list is meant as a good starting point for people new to audio; if you're at a point where you think you can hear a difference in soundstage between the 40x and 50x, you don't need it.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Silly to quibble over the dimensionality of soundstage when neither of them are very good in this department.

"Trust your ears" goes without saying; no surprise there. As it says in the OP, this list is meant as a good starting point for people new to audio; if you're at a point where you think you can hear a difference in soundstage between the 40x and 50x, you don't need it.

cool. I chose the M50x because it has a more forward vocals (and better overall bass). have you heard the new R70x? They're pretty nice given the price.  Though you will need a decent amp since they're 470ohms :/

1 hour ago, gilang01 said:

cool. I chose the M50x because it has a more forward vocals (and better overall bass). have you heard the new R70x? They're pretty nice given the price.  Though you will need a decent amp since they're 470ohms :/

No. They're pretty sensitive so I'm sure they aren't too demanding in the amp department.

The open headphone to beat in that price range is the HD600 so they'd have to be pretty good to be nice for the price.

44 minutes ago, SSL said:

No. They're pretty sensitive so I'm sure they aren't too demanding in the amp department.

The open headphone to beat in that price range is the HD600 so they'd have to be pretty good to be nice for the price.

I haven't tried the 600 yet, though I've heard good things about them. 

51 minutes ago, SSL said:

An O2 on 1.0x gain requires about 1-o-clock on the volume knob.  Had em for about three weeks, I thought that these would be a nice addition to the list. But from my time with them, I wasn't impressed.  Build was not great compared to my AD1000x, and the new 3D-wing headband style just made things worse.  Yeah it had higher clamping force but it was so easily manipulated by brute force and it never made a proper seal on my head cause the cups were not able to touch my jaw at all, not to mention that the 2 wings were constantly hitting the metal band, something that never happens with their other headphones.  Maybe my head is just gigantic?

Soundwise, they're just...I dunno boring.  I was led to believe that they were flavorless in a good sense, but what I found was a flavorless headphone in a bad sense, nothing really seemed to impress me at all.  EDM was slightly better than my 2Kx but with enough volume even the bass-light 2Kx is fine with EDM.  

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Qestion :  Can there be a board based on how to mod your headphones ? Example, Swapping earpads to skins to cables ect ect ? 

(⌐■_■) 

20 hours ago, Ridska said:

Qestion :  Can there be a board based on how to mod your headphones ? Example, Swapping earpads to skins to cables ect ect ? 

Maybe, if someone wants to contribute such knowledge.

Waited about a month and a half for these to arrive

http://www.head-fi.org/products/venture-electronics-ve-monk

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Venture-Electronic-VE-MONK-earbud-earphone/32417311324.html

Initial impressions

Compared to Apple Earpods, the VE Monks are a tad bit better in the highs and mid-bass where certain notes just doesn't sound as sharp on the Apples.

But overall just slightly better in my opinion. 

With the foam covers on the VE Monk the overall bass just goes up and obviously the highs get a bit rolled off. I find it really fun to listen to, very warm and actually has a nice rumble. 

Pretty good for $5 + whatever shipping is, mine turned out to be around $7 total. 

On 2/25/2016 at 6:28 AM, SSL said:

Maybe, if someone wants to contribute such knowledge.

I was asking this because i'm taking an interest to it and i wanted some sort of guide.

I know comparability ( as in example : What aftermarket earpads fit ATH-M___x or sennheiser ____ headphones ect ect ) is going to be a bit of a problem but of cores this is why i want to see a guide on what fits what. And i was wondering if you have done any modding of you'r own ? I would like to hear it from you.

(⌐■_■) 

17 hours ago, Ridska said:

I was asking this because i'm taking an interest to it and i wanted some sort of guide.

I know comparability ( as in example : What aftermarket earpads fit ATH-M___x or sennheiser ____ headphones ect ect ) is going to be a bit of a problem but of cores this is why i want to see a guide on what fits what. And i was wondering if you have done any modding of you'r own ? I would like to hear it from you.

I haven't really done any modding myself, no. I'd love to add the information to the OP if people are interested in contributing their experience.

22 hours ago, Ridska said:

Well the HM 5 pads fit the m50, but the m50x is not a headphone where you should change the pads since the foam between the driver and your ear is pretty thick and when you put other pads on the headphone become even more in your face sounding with really high highs unless you can find some foam cloth thing you can put between the driver and your ear.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

On 2/21/2016 at 1:36 PM, gilang01 said:

Well, the reason reviews exist because there are those stores that don't have a demo unit or don't want to let potential customers try it for reasons I do not know. Thus if you can't listen to it yourself, reviews are a great alternative. And yeah, reviews matter as a point of reference, to give an idea on what you're gonna be getting yourself into, not something to follow like a bible or the law.

Edit M40x, incompatible with boompro mic due to recessed connection, I think that was my fault, i put that their.

And i think its 2.5mm

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

• 2 weeks later...

I think Zeos has finally lost his mind with that Fostex Mk 3 video.

Within your recommended list of IEMs, which one of them has the most soundstage?

13 hours ago, Majestic said:

Will this list only be supplemented by cans you've personally tested? Or can you pitch your personal gear to be added?

EDIT;

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/568525-review-bowers-wilkins-p7/

Sure, this is the kind of thing that I am looking for.

My main reservation about these headphones that we should discuss is the price compared to other options. We have the NAD VISIO HP50 for $300 and the Opp PM3 for $400. Not to mention cheaper semi-lifestyle headphones like the Sennhesier Momentum.

18 hours ago, SSL said:

Sure, this is the kind of thing that I am looking for.

My main reservation about these headphones that we should discuss is the price compared to other options. We have the NAD VISIO HP50 for $300 and the Opp PM3 for $400. Not to mention cheaper semi-lifestyle headphones like the Sennhesier Momentum.

None of those are built like the P7's though. They all use some variation of plastic and pleather/velour.

great list, can definitely check back on this when I eventually buy another pair of headphones. 

On 3/21/2016 at 10:50 AM, Majestic said:

None of those are built like the P7's though. They all use some variation of plastic and pleather/velour.

Okay, I'll add it. As you can see from the other entries I like to have a few-sentance summary to go with. Since you wrote the review you can provide the blurb, if you want.

9 hours ago, SSL said:

Okay, I'll add it. As you can see from the other entries I like to have a few-sentance summary to go with. Since you wrote the review you can provide the blurb, if you want.

Ill shorten the recommendation in a sec.

EDIT; tried to condense it.

Spoiler

Easy to drive, closed-back mobile headphones. Treble is clear and detailed (no fuzz). Low-Mids slightly retracted, deep bass extension with a slight mid-bass hump. Requires a low-impedance source to shine (pref. <3ohms). Immaculate construction, with only metal, suede and geniuine leather parts. Removeable pads, removeable cable, both with proprietary fittings though. Comes with a 3,5mm to 6,3mm adapter, swappable in-line (apple) remote cable and a leather/suede travelcase. Cans are foldable (only inwards, no rotation). Not compatible when your glasses have a outsticking or large frame. Pads are also fairly small and the unit can press on your ears the first weeks, this resides.