not as much tech news as epic news.. NEW PLANET ? (9)

givingtnt

Actually more interestingly a tenth planet has also been hypothesized as well, but just like this one the only thing we have to go on is gravitational affects (and the tenth's is more minor due to distance) either way more searching is needed for conformation of anything.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

yes because gravity is constant, and faster then the speed of light...

You say that like I'm Neil deGrasse Tyson or some shit >_>...

My degree is in neuropsych not space and stuff

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

What if Pluto was the moon!?! Illuminati confirmed on Planet X!?1?!!?!?!?1/!?!?!?!1?!?1

uh. no makes no sense

one could say were the sun's moons. but no. were planets

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Do you want me to give you gravities constant? Also I'm sorry I've just been doing my physics homework for the past couple of days... Also its faster then the speed of light because as soon as the source of gravity move the other object reacts. Which is instant, and not based on the speed of light.

Do you want me to give you gravities constant? Also I'm sorry I've just been doing my physics homework for the past couple of days... Also its faster then the speed of light because as soon as the source of gravity move the other object reacts. Which is instant, and not based on the speed of light.

I get the gravity part, and the speed of like part, but I don't get how they used gravity to guess there is a planet there.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

How long till we find the 10th planet? We've been discovering planets in our solar system for hundreds of years.

How dare you deny pluto its just right Fight for PLUTO.

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

-snip-

Pluto was reinstated as a planet...this is technically the 10th

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

I get the gravity part, and the speed of like part, but I don't get how they used gravity to guess there is a planet there.

They see the orbit of the planets and say this is impossible with out another celestial body. So its just a theory.

Last I had heard was that the 10 planet was the size of Jupiter and much farther away... Because that's how the math works. It could be either.

How dare you deny pluto its just right Fight for PLUTO.

#BringBackPluto

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Astronomy and Astrophysics blows my mind sometimes. One can infer a planet exists by gravitational pulls? I mean, I get it but wtff?!?! That is crazy

I like this news :3

That is how Neptune was discovered.  The observations of Uranus made it clear that there was another planet, and shortly afterward Neptune was spotted.  And the discovery of pluto was fueled because Neptune wasn't behaving the way it was supposed to.  What is interesting about Pluto is if you look at it's estimated/measured/inferred mass over the decades, you'll notice that it's been shrinking. So much so that many have concluded that pluto was no longer sufficient to even pretend it explains Neptunes orbit, and bingo, kuiper belt.

As for the news.  It better be a Mass Effect Relay, I wanna get out there.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

You have "geek" in your name and your avatar is an alien. That just screams astrophysicist to me.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

There is two ways going about explaining this.

First way: Classical 

By that, I mean that we can measure or observe a force being exerted on instruments such as satellites. There are satellites whose sole purpose is to collect data on the the gravitational pull of celestial objects (Planets, stars, etc). Sometime we even observe small variations, or wobbes, in nearby space objects to detect the presence of an gravitational force being applied on an object. From there, this data can be reconstructed to statistically hypothesise that a planet is there. 

Second Way: New Physics

Basically space is like an fabric. Objects displace this fabric. Since celestial bodies, like planets, travel in elliptical orbits around their center, a path (indent) is created in the fabric. This looks like this:

Gravity-warps-space-400x267.jpg

We can hypothesize and theorize the location of planets based on the disruption in the space fabric. This is based on Einstein's Theory of General relativity which describes these gravitational waves. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

To add some simplified example to Ionbasa's comment:

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Interesting, it seems like it's a rocky planet unlike Neptunus, Uranus, Jupiter and Saturnus.

Let's get a greenhouse effect going and colonise it.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

edited

No caps at starts of sentences. 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

You have "geek" in your name and your avatar is an alien. That just screams astrophysicist to me.

touché....But then again, was Mordin an astrophysicist!?!? 

There is two ways going about explaining this.

First way: Classical 

By that, I mean that we can measure or observe a force being exerted on instruments such as satellites. There are satellites whose sole purpose is to collect data on the the gravitational pull of celestial objects (Planets, stars, etc). Sometime we even observe small variations, or wobbes, in nearby space objects to detect the presence of an gravitational force being applied on an object. From there, this data can be reconstructed to statistically hypothesise that a planet is there. 

Second Way: New Physics

Basically space is like an fabric. Objects displace this fabric. Since celestial bodies, like planets, travel in elliptical orbits around their center, a path (indent) is created in the fabric. This looks like this:

We can hypothesize and theorize the location of planets based on the disruption in the space fabric. This is based on Einstein's Theory of General relativity which describes these gravitational waves. 

Now this makes more sense. 

yes because gravity is constant, and faster then the speed of light...

Where the balls did you read that the force of gravity has a speed faster than light

Where the balls did you read that the force of gravity has a speed faster than light

Just wanted to point this out:

In classical mechanics gravity has no 'speed' per say. Rather, the force felt/observed by an object is for all purposes instantaneous.

So if the sun magically disappeared , Earth would get flung out on an perpendicular motion from its orbit at that instant. We'd still see the sun as light takes time to reach earth(~8.4 minutes ).

In general relativity gravity propagates at the speed of light. So, if the sun were to disappear, we'd feel it and see it at the same time.

So, it depends on how you 'look' at it. But for all physical purposes, general relativity is the 'correct' answer, so gravity doesn't travel faster than the speed of light. Maybe the person you quoted  hasn't gotten to the required coursework to know that.

NOTE: In high school and most college intro classes, newtonian /classical mechanics is all that is taught.

Edited by ionbasa

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

well you see do you remember the "god partical" because that wasn't what translated that information, but gravity is the only thing that can go faster then the speed of light, but I can't remember just 1 place I got this information, but... how do you think black holes work... GRAVITY... (easiest to explain example)

well you see do you remember the "god partical" because that wasn't what translated that information, but gravity is the only thing that can go faster then the speed of light, but I can't remember just 1 place I got this information, but... how do you think black holes work... GRAVITY... (easiest to explain example)

Gravitational waves propagate at the speed of light. Not faster nor slower. It's all in General relativity.

The higgs boson is just an subatomic structure which is an excitation of the higgs field. You must be thinking about gravitons, the theorized elementary particle that makes up gravity fields in quantum mechanics.