OEM Apple lightning cable VS. Fakes?

silvinodino
Go to solution Solved by ZacDaMan72,

Some cables don't work because they don't have the official Apple chip in them. iOS 7+ stops these cables working and shows this:

iOS-7-Unauthorized-Lightning-cable-promp

I'd rather try to get about 5 good cables (eg. Belkin) in a sale instead of a lot of cheap ones that don't work.

OK, I haven't found any videos on youtube that discuss about fake vs. real lightning cables so my question is, is there really any difference between the real Apple cables vs. fake cables? I've HEARD that using fake cables could fry your battery but I haven't heard any confirmed stories. whats the real difference? because id much rather buy 10 fakes cables for the price of 1 authentic apple cable, because apple cables last just as long as fake cables if not even longer than OEM cables. Thoughts?

"Ravioli Ravioli give me the Formuoli"

Thread moved to Mobile Devices.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I find that many fake cables are DOA or really poor quality, I'd definitely say the premium is worth the price in my experience. 

Some cables don't work because they don't have the official Apple chip in them. iOS 7+ stops these cables working and shows this:

I'd rather try to get about 5 good cables (eg. Belkin) in a sale instead of a lot of cheap ones that don't work.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I've had no problems with cheapo 7$ cables.

There's this too.

Most of the cables I've had work fine, but near the end of their lifespan started to show the above message.

I make bad life decisions.

Hmm okay, very helpful. that's dumb though.... :|

Hmm okay, very helpful. that's dumb though.... :|

Apple be Apple...

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

do you think theres jailbreak apps that prevent this error message possibly?

I've had no problems with cheapo 7$ cables.

There's this too.

Most of the cables I've had work fine, but near the end of their lifespan started to show the above message.

approx. how long do they last?

approx. how long do they last?

maybe 6 months of heavy use?

I'd say the official ones last a year or so. Mine usually lasted much less than that though.

I make bad life decisions.

As a Best Buy employee, dozens of people come in every day because their apple branded charger broke. Either they are huge pieces of shit or people are savages with their stuff. It's probably somewhere in the middle but honestly I'd just go with the generic ones. Even if you go through 2 or 3, you're still only matching the price of 1 apple charger.

maybe 6 months of heavy use?

I'd say the official ones last a year or so. Mine usually lasted much less than that though.

Okay I see.... Maybe ill purchase about 10 fake ones and 2 real ones. Thanks for your input!!!

As a Best Buy employee, dozens of people come in every day because their apple branded charger broke. Either they are huge pieces of shit or people are savages with their stuff. It's probably somewhere in the middle but honestly I'd just go with the generic ones. Even if you go through 2 or 3, you're still only matching the price of 1 apple charger.

Yeah i'm about to buy x20 cables for the price of one OEM apple cable lmao.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-8-Pin-USB-Charger-Cord-Sync-Data-Cable-for-iPhone-5-5S-C-6-3FT-Wholesale-Lot-/131681361919?hash=item1ea8d21fff:g:a~wAAOSwUdlWd1vB

I've bought 3 of the cheapo ebay specials before, broke 3 in a week... ridiculously fragile.

I spent the extra on a Belkin cable (black, longer than OEM) and it's lasted a couple years so far.

The Apple one carries a one year warranty that can be swapped no question asked at any Apple store.