Why is my internet so bad?

Dubesta11

5888c5f93a.png

I mean the download speed is about where I expect it to be, and the ping seems fine, but the upload speed is horrendous. Playing video games on this network is usually a laggy hell and I don't know what to do at this point. I can't even run a home server because it would take forever to upload files.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

-snip-

I don't know... What's in your contract with your ISP?

Wow that's scary.

2000kbps is about where you would expect it to be, do you live in a forest surrounded by mountains in a bunker?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

5888c5f93a.png

I mean the download speed is about where I expect it to be, and the ping seems fine, but the upload speed is horrendous. Playing video games on this network is usually a laggy hell and I don't know what to do at this point. I can't even run a home server because it would take forever to upload files.

get a better internet package?

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Contact your ISP and ask them If theres something wrong In the area. And yes, with that upload speed, playing games will be a hell, alteast 1Mbps upload for smooth gaming and around 3Mbps download. It can be caused by one of the following:

A sender In the area Is acting up and the ISP will need to do maintnance

Your Internet Package was the cheapest option and does not allow for high speeds

You are In an area where signals have a hard time getting through to

Contact your ISP and ask them about this.

If it just started doing this recently, something may have happened to your connection to the cable from Time Warner's line leading to your house.

Just contact them and let them know something is wrong, and hope that they don't send someone out who will only knock once while you're in the shower.

I don't know... What's in your contract with your ISP?

Honestly I have no idea

get a better internet package?

I don't live at home since I go to college, but in the summer I will be. It's not a huge deal, just something confusing and annoying. 

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

mines even worse bruv, but i can play games fine (at least it seems like it, but all I play is csgo and halo 5)

yOAvD3C.png

this is on ethernet aswell lmao

do you use wifi?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Your problem is that your ISP is Time Warner Cable. Everyone hates them. They're pure evil.

And when I say everyone, I don't mean "everyone hates Obama", I mean LITERALLY EVERYONE DESPISES TIME WARNER CABLE.

Honestly I have no idea

I don't live at home since I go to college, but in the summer I will be. It's not a huge deal, just something confusing and annoying. 

oh, college internet.... that's why.....

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

oh, college internet.... that's why.....

My college internet is a nice fiber network that gets about 15Mb/s on wifi, which is over 100MB/s. This is my home internet, which is mainly used for streaming videos and such.

The Grey Squirrel

My college internet is a nice fiber network that gets about 15Mb/s on wifi, which is over 100MB/s. This is my home internet, which is mainly used for streaming videos and such.

wait what, so 15 megaBITS is 100 megaBYTES? uhmm.....

Old Rig

Well the opposite, sorry. I should know there are 8 bits in a byte, I'm going to school for that lol.

The Grey Squirrel

I'm guessing his inet speed is 15mbps, and his link speed is 100mbits.

Just not that clear and a typo.

EDIT: ninja'd, and I was wrong, ups.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Well the opposite, sorry. I should know there are 8 bits in a byte, I'm going to school for that lol.

Are you failing? 

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

I'm guessing his inet speed is 15mbps, and his link speed is 100mbits.

Just not that clear and a typo.

EDIT: ninja'd, and I was wrong, ups.

milibits?

milibits?

Since a bit is either 1 or 0 there isn't a smaller subdivision, So I don't need to make the distinction between Mbps and mbps. I've seen both being used, even at a university during a networking course.

So no, not millibits.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Your problem is that your ISP is Time Warner Cable. Everyone hates them. They're pure evil.

And when I say everyone, I don't mean "everyone hates Obama", I mean LITERALLY EVERYONE DESPISES TIME WARNER CABLE.

No every one despises Comcast. Time Warner cant hold a candle to Comcast. 

On that note, I would be checking the modems signal levels. It could be a signal issues, if it is, then you will need a tech out. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Since a bit is either 1 or 0 there isn't a smaller subdivision, So I don't need to make the distinction between Mbps and mbps. I've seen both being used, even at a university during a networking course.

So no, not millibits.

wJ5fcq8.png

My speeds 76723e3d839376a1340d7aa62fc28892.jpg

Comcast in SLC. I still hate comcast though... can't wait for google fiber even though I have heard bad things about it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)~~▲▲▲▲~~CanyonCoolMan~~▲▲▲▲~~( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Few things can contribute to this. First, your internet package with your ISP might be high download with very limited upload(which is pretty common). Second, if the upload speed is rated higher. Check if there is any bottleneck in your entire network system(modem, router, ap, connection method(crapy Ethernet cable, poor wifi signal, bad power line Ethernet adapters), and also your computer). Try to eliminate the factors by trying different devices and ways of connecting. Third, call and yell at your ISP.

Comcast in SLC. I still hate comcast though... can't wait for google fiber even though I have heard bad things about it.

Yeah I get about 125Mb/s down and 25Mb/s up. I hate comcast buy they do have great internet here =/

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

How much do you pay for that?? My 4g is better then that with one bar