Mushkin announced a $500 4TB SSD at CES

Source: http://techreport.com/news/29583/mushkin-previews-a-500-4tb-ssd-at-ces

Second source: http://www.techpowerup.com/219116/mushkin-shows-off-a-500-dollar-4-tb-ssd.html

Well, let's be honest. It might not be an ideal solution - far from it, but at this price point we are going down to 0.125$ for a single GB of SSD. Also, it's probably one of the most affordable storage SSDs to date. 

Now, I'm not saying we should all spend the equivalent of a GTX 980 on a single drive, but this may be the beginning of affordable SSDs with high capacity. :)

Also, I like the idea of putting what amounts to 2 drives in JBOD mode in a single SSD. If that's what it takes... Why not!

And to be honest - it was probably one of the few non-RGB things presented or announced at this year's CES. 

Edited: Removed one unnecessary zero. 

To construct a 4TB drive, Mushkin is basically putting two Reactor 2TB SSDs on a single PCB. Those drives are then joined into a JBOD with a separate controller. This dual-drive solution will function as a single volume, but spanning drives isn't without its costs. Mushkin tells us to expect random read and write performance of about 10K IOPS.

This formidably sized drive hasn't been formally named just yet, but we do know that it may be relatively affordable. Mushkin is targeting a $500 price point for this massive SSD when it becomes available after the release of the Reactor 2TB.

Wouldn't essentially using two drivers affect speeds somehow? Just a guess.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

This is what it cost me for a 500GB SSD. And I bought two of those. I can get on board with this as a mass storage option to replace my noisy HDDs.

I like it because it, as you said, may be the beginning of affordable SSDs as a total replacement for HDDs, at the moment tho I don't see the benefit I could get from it, I'm fine with SSD/HDD combination or hybrid drives for application and storage respectively. 

Wouldn't essentially using two drivers affect speeds somehow? Just a guess.

Well, 10k IOPS compared to - for example - 80k/40k of Sandisk Ultra Plus is kinda low, but it's still far better than any platter HDD out there. Certainly not bad for something that would be used as a big storage drive. 

This is what it cost me for a 500GB SSD. And I bought two of those. I can get on board with this as a mass storage option to replace my noisy HDDs.

Same here. I can't say I'm not waiting for this, because I'd gladly get at least one to replace those 2x2TB WD HDDs that act as my local storage... Hell, I'd even get their 2GB drive, if the price is reasonable (I'm wondering whether it'll be something like $200 or more like $300). 

I like it because it, as you said, may be the beginning of affordable SSDs as a total replacement for HDDs, at the moment tho I don't see the benefit I could get from it, I'm fine with SSD/HDD combination or hybrid drives for application and storage respectively. 

Well, the only benefit I can see is essentially total silence and perhaps the ability to install high capacity storage in laptops, because currently the storage market doesn't really favor mobile devices. ;)

$0.0125 per GB? You realize that's $40 for a 4TB drive, right? I think you mean $0.12. 

$0.12 x 10 = $1.20 ($0.12 = 1GB x 10 = 10GB /$1.20 x 400 = $480/4TB.)

and so, the price war starts.

lets see what Samsung does in response to this :D

Didn't they recently announce a 3.84 TB TLC SSD at something like $2k per unit? :D

$0.0125 per GB? You realize that's $40 for a 4TB drive, right? I think you mean $0.12. 

$0.12 x 10 = $1.20 ($0.12 = 1GB x 10 = 10GB /$1.20 x 400 = $480/4TB.)

Hah, thanks for pointing out! Correcting!

Awesome Budget SSD.

In India i wouldn't be surprised if it launches at 700-800$ because of stupid exchange rates and policies of foreign brands.  :angry:

Currenlty, 1TB SSD costs around 400$ in India.  ^_^

Edit: Online Prices are around 500-600$, the cheapest would be around in a special market such as Nehru would be around 400$.

Yeah, that's pretty much expected. If it costs $500 in the US, then it will probably cost around 600€ in Europe , something like 400 pounds in the UK, 1000$ in Canada and 1300$ in Australia. :P

Didn't they recently announce a 3.84 TB TLC SSD at something like $2k per unit? :D

yes, but thats cuz NOBODY has any competing offer.

500$ for a 4TB version... vs 2k$ for 3.84TB

you know that no matter how good brand name you got. at 1/4th the price and slightly higher capacity, even the fanboys will jump ship or WAIT for Samsung to make a move

We're going to have to change from dollars per GB to dollars per TB pretty soon. Good stuff.

This is equivalent to a 1TB drive for $125, which would put 1TB SSDs pretty close to going mainstream. Actual 1TB drives are still at the $250 mark for now.

I'll buy it.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

We're going to have to change from dollars per GB to dollars per TB pretty soon. Good stuff.

This is equivalent to a 1TB drive for $125, which would put 1TB SSDs pretty close to going mainstream. Actual 1TB drives are still at the $250 mark for now.

You mean for mass-marketing and advertising, right? Because this broke the "GBs per dollar" barrier by a long shot. $1 = 8GB for this SSD.

The Samsung 850 EVO 250GB offers 3GB/$1. 

We're already at GBs per dollar, not dollars per GB.

You mean for mass-marketing and advertising, right? Because this broke the "GBs per dollar" barrier by a long shot. $1 = 8GB for this SSD.

The Samsung 850 EVO 250GB offers 3GB/$1. 

We're already at GBs per dollar, not dollars per GB.

People are still saying $0.125 per GB instead of $125 per TB. But I suspect that'll change as we get to $0.099 per GB and below.

People are still saying $0.125 per GB instead of $125 per TB. But I suspect that'll change as we get to $0.099 per GB and below.

People don't use "$/TB" even with hard drives. It's always been measured as GB/dollar. 

People don't use "$/TB" even with hard drives. It's always been measured as GB/dollar. 

No, it hasn't always been GB/dollar. The standard isn't even GB/dollar today, it's $ per GB (the other way around). In the past it was $ per MB. For example, check this site with a nice graph:

EGUgZSi.jpg

If Samsung's don't come down in price I'm going for Mushkin's. I know it won't be Samsung fast but 4tb tho

Yea... Three months ago we wwere at 30 cents per gig at best, now we are looking at 12-15? (The 960gb ssd plus going on sale for like 120 was also in this range)...

At this pace, hdds will be only marginally cheaper within the years end... (Not that the pace will continue, but damn still)...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

If Samsung's don't come down in price I'm going for Mushkin's. I know it won't be Samsung fast but 4tb tho

I just want to know the price for their upcoming 2TB Reactor SSD. If they want to keep the pricing "fair", they're going to have to drop the prices on their current drives, since 1TB Reactor retails for $259 right now.

I just want to know the price for their upcoming 2TB Reactor SSD. If they want to keep the pricing "fair", they're going to have to drop the prices on their current drives, since 1TB Reactor retails for $259 right now.

Well it kinda has to be around half of what the 4TB would cost, right? If it's too high then you might as well get the 4TB unless the 4TB has performance/instability issues, but if the 2TB is priced too low then people would get that instead of the 4TB.

I'd bet that the 2TB would be around $250, if not it'll be cheaper because it's sounding like the 4TB is "experimental", so it could have issues that aren't known yet so people could go the experimental route with 4TB or go the stable route with 2TB and deal with the extra drives.

Between this and the 13TB/10TB SSD's from Fixstars, this is getting really damn cool.

This is awesome!!!! Finally in a few years you'll be able to setup storage arrays for really cheap. Definitely looking forward to adding a SSD RAID 5 in the future.

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

Cant wait to move all my active storage to SSD's, even from my servers. I may or may not jump the gun and put on of these (or 2 2TB SSD's) in my main rig and just remove the 2 2TB HDD's that I currently have.  More speed, less sound, less powerusage. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Man, I love Mushkin.  I'd love to see how other competitors respond to this.  A 2TB Striker would do me well for mass-storage, and then snag up the OCZ Revodrive 400 once it is out for a 1TB boot.  Goodbye HDD's.

Anyone have a Mushkin Reactor SSD? I'm curious about the reliability, I know the warrenty is 3 years. Looking to buy the 1Tb version.

I got burned with a 500Gb 840 EVO when those cost $350, died in 3 months, Samsung wouldn't respond to any contact method for the 2 year warranty on that drive

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW