Mushkin announced a $500 4TB SSD at CES

Anyone have a Mushkin Reactor SSD? I'm curious about the reliability, I know the warrenty is 3 years. Looking to buy the 1Tb version.

I got burned with a 500Gb 840 EVO when those cost $350, died in 3 months, Samsung wouldn't respond to any contact method for the 2 year warranty on that drive

As far as I know - Mushkin is quick to respond to anything customer related, and you can almost always get an American(English speaking) representative.  Their customer support is top notch, from what I know.   

Well now that this is coming out we can finally get rid of HDDs for good

Damn why such low IOPS really..

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Damn why such low IOPS really..

Depends on the queue depth. At QD1, 10K IOPS is very good. At QD32, not so much - but then you'll never be reaching such a queue depth anyway. QD1 and maybe 2/4 is what actually matters.

Depends on the queue depth. At QD1, 10K IOPS is very good. At QD32, not so much - but then you'll never be reaching such a queue depth anyway. QD1 and maybe 2/4 is what actually matters.

Not to mention it's still 4TB of non-mechanical performance, and likely longevity from a well-established American company.  I can't wait to see what people come out to go against this.  ADATA, Corsair, and many others should be massively reducing prices, and releasing their own products in similar categories to compete.  I am -so- looking forward to this.

Big round of applause to everyone who has purchased an SSD.  It's -you- who got us to this point.  Well done.

So as far as 4K random read ?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

and so, the price war starts.

lets see what Samsung does in response to this :D

Lets hope that it becomes really low by summer  time :D

Then if it does, I could possibly ditch my 1TB HDD and get all new SSD's, like a 512GB and another 256GB :o MX100 for lyfe

Hopefully this 4TB gets popular and capacities like 256GB and 512GB drop down, would love to be able to go full solid state, its about time.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

This has acut5ally been debunked, Tech Report got it wrong - the price is a grand.

I think of that as a bargain.  SSDs are obviously very costly.   I know, I wanted to get a 1TB SSD for games and stuff but this.  This solves al of my problems.  I also have 2 big fat and juicy SATA 3 ports open for grabs.  TAKE MY MONEY!

This has acut5ally been debunked, Tech Report got it wrong - the price is a grand.

Got a source for this claim?

Now this could make me buy an SSD.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

To construct a 4TB drive, Mushkin is basically putting two Reactor 2TB SSDs on a single PCB. Those drives are then joined into a JBOD with a separate controller. This dual-drive solution will function as a single volume, but spanning drives isn't without its costs. Mushkin tells us to expect random read and write performance of about 10K IOPS.

So... worthless then...

10K IOPS is nothing compared to what SSDs can do now... This completely mitigates almost every use of SSDs (except the lower power draw)

So... worthless then...

10K IOPS is nothing compared to what SSDs can do now... This completely mitigates almost every use of SSDs (except the lower power draw)

It hardly makes it useless.  You are looking at this drive compared to super high speed but significantly smaller SSDs.  This needs to be compared to equal sized HDDs.  The likely goal of such a product is to compete with large storage HDDs.  And in that regard, this thing will blow them away in every metric except cost per GB.  And it will likely be a big hit with prosumers and low end enterprise/small business.  Since an equal sized enterprise level SSD is in the $2k+ range.  This is not designed to replace a boot drive or a primary drive; its designed to replace a storage drive.

Damn that's some aggressive pricing

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

Wow do I feel sad. Bought that sandisk 1TB one for $200 not that long ago.

I know it isn't any worse than it was before, and it's still a good deal, but $125 per TB blows that out of the water.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

This is what it cost me for a 500GB SSD. And I bought two of those. I can get on board with this as a mass storage option to replace my noisy HDDs.

same! just 3 or 4 years ago I got my father to buy an OCZ Agility 4 512GB for his macbook (he still has it, works perfectly) after he was complaing about lag which was storage related. 

He payed $550 for it. I remember holding it in my hand, fearful of static discharge or breaking it lol. 

Now I see 512GB ssd's and im just like psh whatever, slap em in everything xD

But at least I know my family's upcoming storage problem (the amount of data we have to store has increased exponentially, especially on the NAS) will become less of an issue. Photos man, photos. No one wants to delete photos, and everytime they upgrade phones the size of each photo goes up more and more with all those megapixels lol. And also plex and storing music and movies and tv shows locally has also played a huge part. And of course no one wants to delete old movies so you just got to keep growing the storage space.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Stellar price for such a hogh capacity price i would of definetly got it if i had money... :/

That's all I need. I can replace my two 2 TB mechanical drives I use for storage.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.