Get the maximum out of your Windows 10 PC in general and for gaming.

LokiFire

windows-10.jpg

Tweaks to save Vram, system ram and also prioritise latency for online gaming.

WARNING! You will be editing the Windows registry, you need to stick to the exact instructions.

I will be adding in details from sources on the internet, and are not from my own knowledge but from research on what works on older OS's and does work in windows 10.

First of all, there are features in Windows 10 that make zero sense that eat up system ram and Vram.

To still have a great looking desktop but save resources simply disable some visual effects and leave the basics turned on, Windows 10 does not rely on Aero any more and for that can look excellent whilst having them turned off.

Where you need to go. Control Panel\System and Security\System From here click Advanced system settings then click on the Advanced tab, from here click settings under performance

Copy everything ticked in my image.

H3vXelS.png

Only do this step if you have 8GB system ram or above, and have plenty of HDD space.

In the same window go to the Advanced tab From here click change under virtual memory

Copy my memory settings per HDD

f1OAFAS.png

Biggest reason for this change is certain games eating up idle system memory and maxing out system RAM such as Battlefield 3 & 4. This will stop the crashes from memory issues.

Now we shall look at internet latency.

Go to Start type "regedit" without the quotes and hit enter.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces

xVzCC5p.png

In this key (folder), you will likely see multiple NIC interfaces disguised in the form of a cryptic combination of letters and numbers. The easiest way to identify which of these NIC-IDs corresponds to your active internet connection is to note down your IP-address and search for it in each of them. You can quickly do the former by summoning the command prompt (Press Windows-Button + R, type "cmd", click OK) and entering "ipconfig". Typically, your IP-address is going to be displayed as the "IPv4-Address". Next, go through the NIC-IDs in the Registry and search for any entries with the same IP-Address on the right side (try "IPAddress" or "DhcpIPAddress").

FQfxfi6.png

Once you have found your respective adapter, create two new DWORD entries within it by right-clicking on an empty spot > New > "DWORD (32-Bit) Value". Name the fist entry "TcpAckFrequency" and the second one "TCPNoDelay" (both are case-sensitive). Double-click each of them and set their values to 1. The first entry will be responsible for sending off packets immediately.

As a last step, close the Registry Editor and restart your PC for the changes to take effect.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

What's the Nagle-Algorithm do  ;0

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Nagle's algorithm, named after John Nagle, is a means of improving the efficiency of TCP/IP networks by reducing the number of packets that need to be sent over the network.

Google :P

Nagle's algorithm, named after John Nagle, is a means of improving the efficiency of TCP/IP networks by reducing the number of packets that need to be sent over the network.

Google :P

If you want a non-Google response.... Basically in a normal environment there is a maximum size per packet of data (1500 bytes). Now imagine if your computer is sending a lot of small <1500 packets wich may happen with online gaming, by default your computer put a hold on the multiple small packets till it reaches a total of 1500 and then send them on their way to help congestion on the line. Obviously this is not ideal when you are wanting the lowest ping/delay, so tweaking this DWORD mean that all packets (no matter how small) are sent straight away and not put in a buffer untill 1500 bytes is reached.

----

Heads up to the OP "TcpAckFrequency" does not do what you say. It just stops your NIC sending ACK packets every time something is received unless a specified (2 i think) conditions are met, then another ACK packet will be sent.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, just tried this and I've got a noticeable improvement. Didn't do the memory change since I have 16GB of memory and don't see the point of using my SSD for memory storage when 16GB is more than enough for me.

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

Any reason for the 8122 MB number?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Hey thanks. Setting up my first PC ever as a gaming machine - mac's have covered me fine for everything but gaming - so comprehensive tutorials like this are helpful.

Any reason for the 8122 MB number?

8GB physical 8122 page, BF3/4 use RAM weirdly, opening the page file up helps a tonne, i never went above that number so used it as point of reference.

I happen to have done a research paper about Nagle's algorithm.

It's not a good idea to disable it system wide. Applications that send small packets, such as games can request windows to disable Nagle's algorithm for it specifically.

Sending multiple smaller packets also increases workload and network overhead and may actually decrease responsiveness and overall transmission speed.

The results shown here are in Dutch, but I think the graphs speak for themselves.

https://joey.vhummel.nl/HANESE/DCMPR2/resultaten.xlsx

Y-axis is throughput and X-axis shows packet size. First graph is with Nagle's algorithm disabled, the second graph has it enabled.

8GB physical 8122 page, BF3/4 use RAM weirdly, opening the page file up helps a tonne, i never went above that number so used it as point of reference.

But why 8122?  8 GB is 8192 MB, so I'm just curious because it seems like that number was pulled out of the air

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.