Fried my 4000$ Xeon E5-2696 V4 (22 cores, 44 threads) :(

So yep, bought an open box Asus X99-Deluxe motherboard from newegg. Installed my newly bought 2696 V4 in it and upon first boot instantly fried the cpu... Asus said that it's not in there policies to replace collateral parts and newegg said they don't know whose fault it is so they won't cover any damages besides replacing the mobo. Asus and Newegg really coming through for me, way to go guys....

post-139570-0-86946900-1452392253.jpg

post-139570-0-32381700-1452392254.jpg

Chilling like a villain 

Contact Intel?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That is awful. Hopefully contacting Intel will yield something.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

my condolences, fundraiser for replacement? 

lol jk.

Going to contact intel Monday. Got it from a buddy of mine who runs a I.T. company. Kinda blew my year  :(

Chilling like a villain 

Going to contact intel Monday. Got it from a buddy of mine who runs a I.T. company. Kinda blew my year  :(

Did you pay any money for it or was it free?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Ooh I paid for it

Rest in peace in peace

Leave a like if you breathed oxygen today

Ooh I paid for it

$4,000?

Never had a bad experience with the open box mobo's but yeah probably wasn't the best decision. I didn't pay 4000$ but still cost me a pretty penny

Chilling like a villain 

So yep, bought an open box Asus X99-Deluxe motherboard from newegg. Installed my newly bought 2696 V4 in it and upon first boot instantly fried the cpu... Asus said that it's not in there policies to replace collateral parts and newegg said they don't know whose fault it is so they won't cover any damages besides replacing the mobo. Asus and Newegg really coming through for me, way to go guys....

RMA it with intel, Their customer support is reasonably good from personal experience. Just tell them that you installed it correctly and it failed during load. If you tell them that you installed it into an untested open-box motherboard they could easily blame it on that and deny your RMA request. I mean it obviously was the motherboards fault but it's better intel take a relatively insignificant hit than you losing $4000.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

That is a Broadwell-E chip not a Haswell-E. Where did you get that from? It's not even out yet, except for ES samples, if there are any ES samples.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

What the hell IT company? That chip isn't even on ARK yet.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

RMA it with intel, Their customer support is reasonably good from personal experience. Just tell them that you installed it correctly and it failed during load. If you tell them that you installed it into an untested open-box motherboard they could easily blame it on that and deny your RMA request. I mean it obviously was the motherboards fault but it's better intel take a relatively insignificant hit than you losing $4000.

Their customer support is slow as hell and it took them a week to realize that my CPU was defective when the Intel HD was artifacting. 

Their customer support is slow as hell and it took them a week to realize that my CPU was defective when the Intel HD was artifacting. 

Yeaaa agreed. It was quite slow.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 []