PlayStationVR briefly listed on Amazon for $800 for a short amount of time

Mr_Troll

PlayStation VR Listed For $800 On Amazon Canada Pre-Order Page

Update: Sony has gotten back to me with a comment – “This was an error by Amazon, we haven’t announced price for PlayStation VR.” They also reiterate that PS VR is still scheduled to be released in the first half of 2016. Since publishing, the Canadian listing page has been revised to not show the price or release date.

Original story below:

In the wake of the Oculus Rift going live for pre-order yesterday for not so low of a 600 dollar price, everyone is now looking at Valve’s Vive and PlayStation VR to see where they land in terms of cost.

Though no official prices have been set for either yet, an Amazon Canada page is circulating showing a $1,125.35 price for PlayStation VR, which translates to just over $800 USD.

That would be $200 more than the Oculus Rift, which many are already deeming as too expensive. But there are plenty of questions of whether or not this price is authentic, despite appearing on the official Canadian Sony vendor account.

It could just be a placeholder, as the listing also says that PS VR will be out on December 31st, 2016, which does seem like a pretty clear placeholder release date. Amazon listings do this sometime, though the American version of the listing has no price nor date listed. The CAD price is a “pre-order guarantee,” which means that if the price drops between now and launch, Amazon will honor the new, lower price.Or, it could be an error, a page pushed live sooner than it was supposed to, which also happens. 

But that expectation would come with a lower price. Analysts have speculated that PS VR may come in at the low range of price, with Oculus in the middle, and Vive the premium product. But at $800, PS VR would be a pretty tough sell.With that said, the advantage there is that of course, PS VR works with PS4. Unlike the version of the Rift which went on sale yesterday, consumers only need a PS4, which many of them already have, not a $1000-1500 supercomputer that is suited to optimally run the Rift. As Forbes’ Jason Evangelho noted yesterday, there are 36M PS4s in the wild that could potentially run VR, as opposed to 13M “optimized” PCs.So, an $800 PS VR system plus a $350-400 console would still probably be less than the total $600 Oculus plus $1K+ computer price. Still, if this isthe real price, that’s going to be sticker shock for the average PlayStation player. Only a tiny fraction of the playerbase is going to shell out doublewhat they paid for their console for a VR system

I have strong doubts this price is legitimate, and I’m leaning much more toward this being a placeholder price or a glitched page than I am an official revelation of the price of PlayStation VR. If not, despite the lower cost of the system used to run the headset, it would still be way overpriced. I know early adoption means high prices, but $600-800 devices are pushing the limit of that concept to the detriment of VR as a whole.

For sonys sake a i hope they are cheaper than oculus, otherwise they are screwed.

Source:http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/01/07/playstation-vr-listed-for-800-on-amazon-canada-pre-order-page/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

wait are they trying to do VR on PS4?

No wonder Sony is dying..

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

cmon, VR on 792p at 15FPS

such immersive, very feel.

i heard the first game will be a seasickness simulator party game xD

EDIT: i just realised if that price is accurate their vr kit will be twice the price of their platform. either it includes an additional rendering box, or its a recipe for disaster...

most likely, that pricetag was accurate and for their sakes, I hope it includes the PS4

well there is a render box but I wouldn't be suprised by 800 tbh

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

If it's actually that expensive and has to run on such weak hardware it could possibly be a disaster launch.

Though, that "Robinson: The Journey" demo thing got me so hyped.... I wish we get something similar on the PC. I love myself some immersive dinos...

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

if anyone can save any VR from dying, Euclideon can, but they have been focusing on their own 3D Hologram Room stuff.... in Australia.

but they did make Unlimited Detail work on Wii U, so if they put it on PS4, that would mean Sony would see mass adoption, they just need one ad for it on their own platform and thats it.

but without it i dont see mass adoption of Sony VR stuff.

Sony uses cheap stuff to produce their VR headset, am i right ye? Just usual junk already on market.

So... Their plan is to sell a PS4 attachment for the price of two PS4s.

GENIUS

I don't see how that can go wrong at all.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

The most disappointing thing about Playstation VR is that Highwire Games chose to use it as a platform for their first game.

Does not bode well for that studio...

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

add ons on consoles never seen any success as far back as sega addons

and i dont believe it will change any time soon

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

GENIUS

Pretty sure it includes the external box to boost the hardware so it can run vr.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

PlayStation VR Listed For $800 On Amazon Canada Pre-Order Page

Update: Sony has gotten back to me with a comment – “This was an error by Amazon, we haven’t announced price for PlayStation VR.” They also reiterate that PS VR is still scheduled to be released in the first half of 2016. Since publishing, the Canadian listing page has been revised to not show the price or release date.

For sonys sake a i hope they are cheaper than oculus, otherwise they are screwed.

Source:http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/01/07/playstation-vr-listed-for-800-on-amazon-canada-pre-order-page/

An VR system to run on an underpowered console for the same price as a fairly decent gaming PC?

I want some of what Sony be smoking, it must be goooooood shit.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

if anyone can save any VR from dying, Euclideon can, but they have been focusing on their own 3D Hologram Room stuff.... in Australia.

but they did make Unlimited Detail work on Wii U, so if they put it on PS4, that would mean Sony would see mass adoption, they just need one ad for it on their own platform and thats it.

but without it i dont see mass adoption of Sony VR stuff.

Sony uses cheap stuff to produce their VR headset, am i right ye? Just usual junk already on market.

On yes what happened to the two games those brilliant developers were going to release in 2015?

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Pretty sure it includes the external box to boost the hardware so it can run vr.

It's not a render box, it only has a 36w psu and it's main job is splitting the HDMI to the display and the VR goggles

There is no CPU or gpu in there

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

GENIUS

Is it going to be a PS4 only attachment? Can't believe they would limit their market. Thought the reason why the name included "Playstation" is because that is pretty much the only device-related division that is doing well for Sony (in other words taking advantage of an established brand name).

add ons on consoles never seen any success as far back as sega addons

and i dont believe it will change any time soon

Unfortunately true. Kinect is a good recent example of an addon that was a pretty neat piece of technology, but really does not belong as an addon for a gaming device.

On yes what happened to the two games those brilliant developers were going to release in 2015?

no idea. last time i heard from them they got Hologram room set up and big big space rented for a year, presumably from $1,300,000 from Australia goverment to promote their tech the last year

games get delayed. software gets delayed. hardware gets delayed. the release of those 2 games is tied to all 3.

So personaly i am not suprised, i anticipated, but it would be nice if they made some announcements.

snip

I dunno, didn't we argue about this guy and his company about a year ago?

He's never done anything that makes me think I should ever believe his technology will make it up a release game.

If he can find a better application for the technology than good for him, but he's always rubbed me the wrong way with his obnoxious attitude and "unlimited detail" naming.

I guess that's the price for early adopting technology, I don't get why everyone and their grandmas are upset about high prices (now and about the Occulus) for new technology. The PS2 was super expensive when it launched, the first 1080p TVs aswell. Atleast there is innovation left in the entertainment industry.

PS2 launched at 299

A decent bit of money, but far from outlandish console wise

cmon, VR on 792p at 15FPS

such immersive, very feel.

i heard the first game will be a seasickness simulator party game xD

EDIT: i just realised if that price is accurate their vr kit will be twice the price of their platform. either it includes an additional rendering box, or its a recipe for disaster...

you two gotta be livin under a rock.

incase you dun know. the PSVR will feature a SEPARATE COMPUTATION UNIT TO POWER THE VR GOGGLES. It will only rely on the video output from the PS3 or PS4 or possibly also PC (from what i can gather it will just need a HDMI signal + power).

IT DOES NOT, NOT EVEN A SINGLE %, RELY ON THE PS HARDWARE TO POWER THE GOGGLES THEMSELVES. IT DOES HOWEVER REQUIRE THE PS HARDWARE TO DELIVER ROCK STABLE FPS, IF NOT SHIT IS GONNA BE REAL BAD

incase you dun know. the PSVR will feature a SEPARATE COMPUTATION UNIT TO POWER THE VR GOGGLES. It will only rely on the video output from the PS3 or PS4 or possibly also PC (from what i can gather it will just need a HDMI signal + power).

IT DOES NOT, NOT EVEN A SINGLE %, RELY ON THE PS HARDWARE TO POWER THE GOGGLES THEMSELVES. IT DOES HOWEVER REQUIRE THE PS HARDWARE TO DELIVER ROCK STABLE FPS, IF NOT SHIT IS GONNA BE REAL BAD

:blink:  That's even worse.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Was 899 DM (Deutsche Mark, before the Euro, which translates into 450€, inflation excluded) here on launch, which was damn expensive.

Isn't tax included and higher in euro electronics?

That's more, but making blanket statements about the PS2 when it's biggest market it was cheaper doesn't really work

i actually do kinda live under a rock console hardware wise, since it'll usually be a good 2-3 months of the USA having it before it even comes around here, accessory wise.

that does sound very interesting tho, although i wonder how the goggles will be capable of processing a "normal" hdmi input to a VR experience.

You're totally 100% incorrect

The image is entirely rendered on the PS4, only thing done by the external box is the time warp and bending the image to 16:9 for the TV, it only has a 36w PSU

Would you expect an external box the size of a DVD case to be faster than a PS4?

Also your caps lock seems to be broken