Why Folding On School Computers Isn't Such A Ridiculous Idea

You do realize some schools actually have good computers right?

Well you realize we're speaking for the majority of people on the forum, who's school doesn't have good computers.

*mildly autistic*

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard: x99 RampageRAM: 16GB DDR4 GPU: Nvidia 980 Ti SSD: Looking for one |

Well you realize we're speaking for the majority of people on the forum, who's school doesn't have good computers.

How do you know the majority of schools have bad computers?  Have you been to them all?  Or is there a report somewhere on what most schools have?  I don't feel like any of us can really claim to know what the "norm" is in terms of what's out there, especially when you consider schools in other countries from our own.

But, that doesn't really matter.  You can't just make a blanket statement that it's not feasible just because it wouldn't work well at your school; that has to be determined on a school-by-school basis, and if it would be feasible for even a small portion (say, 10%), then the idea is still good.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

How do you know the majority of schools have bad computers?  Have you been to them all?  Or is there a report somewhere on what most schools have?  I don't feel like any of us can really claim to know what the "norm" is in terms of what's out there, especially when you consider schools in other countries from our own.

But, that doesn't really matter.  You can't just make a blanket statement that it's not feasible just because it wouldn't work well at your school; that has to be determined on a school-by-school basis, and if it would be feasible for even a small portion (say, 10%), then the idea is still good.

Well I would assume not everyone on the LTT forum goes to a private school that costs $20,000 a year. Anyway this argument is stupid. Goodbye.

*mildly autistic*

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard: x99 RampageRAM: 16GB DDR4 GPU: Nvidia 980 Ti SSD: Looking for one |

Well I would assume not everyone on the LTT forum goes to a private school that costs $20,000 a year. Anyway this argument is stupid. Goodbye.

My public school has good computers

my old one in Egypt however (im getting flashbacks of the P4s)

Still against folding on them though

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I'm totally going to try at my school, at least with as many PCs as I can.

I don't think your principal would like that...

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

-Goodbye Wall of Text

As far as the part you said about schools being partnered with Dell HP etc. That's public school, what about the private schools? The only reason our private school got chromebooks was because of a grant from a college in our state. Otherwise we wouldn't have gotten chromebooks or any computer upgrades let alone even google classroom. And as far as I know, abusing the hardware of something like a Chromebook is not covered under the warranty. As well as Chromebooks really aren't that powerful, and no the school isn't just going to upgrade every year, they'll most likely upgrade once the cost of repairs becomes too high. Also, I'm pretty sure that it does more harm than good to be running a cheap Celeron/Atom at 100% for 16 hours a night, and 48+ hours over a weekend, and it's not really helpful when you are folding that much on a Chromebook and sure it might not stop working the year I'm there, but what if the next kid who gets it is just using it and it suddenly stops working and shits the bed, then that kid is gonna think they did something wrong and charged $250+ for something that he didn't even cause.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

As far as the part you said about schools being partnered with Dell HP etc. That's public school, what about the private schools?

1) The only reason our private school got chromebooks was because of a grant from a college in our state. Otherwise we wouldn't have gotten chromebooks or any computer upgrades let alone even google classroom. And as far as I know, abusing the hardware of something like a Chromebook is not covered under the warranty. As well as Chromebooks really aren't that powerful, and no the school isn't just going to upgrade every year, they'll most likely upgrade once the cost of repairs becomes too high.

2) Also, I'm pretty sure that it does more harm than good to be running a cheap Celeron/Atom at 100% for 16 hours a night, and 48+ hours over a weekend, and it's not really helpful when you are folding that much on a Chromebook and sure it might not stop working the year I'm there, but what if the next kid who gets it is just using it and it suddenly stops working and shits the bed, then that kid is gonna think they did something wrong and charged $250+ for something that he didn't even cause.

Alright, let's address a few of the issues. 

1) It'd all be by choice by private schools (The piece of legislation I am proposing to student congress only regards state-regulated schools.). And anyways, as said in the second note, hopefully Stanford and Berkeley see enough initiative to make a special version which locks it on light, which means 50% usage. In addition, this isn't intended to be on Chromebooks. I know that I am referring to something that isn't directly linked to in this thread, but in the legislation it states that it is up to the school and county. That means it could be between 0 and as many computers as they have, should they decide that the resources ought to be put somewhere else.  

2) As for abuse, not really. 50% CPU usage does effectively nothing to the chip. (Again, note 2) Also, the program won't run while the computer is off. I know I turn my laptop off every night except when I used to render videos on it. 

While not explicitly stated, take home computers and all laptops should be exempt regardless. I know all this may be confusing, but I can link you to the piece of legislation of need be.

TL;DR-

The Chromebooks and your school  are exempt.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

My public school has good computers

my old one in Egypt however (im getting flashbacks of the P4s)

Still against folding on them though

Lucky... specs? 

*mildly autistic*

Lucky... specs? 

i5 thingamigs

some have quadros some 6570s

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Lol direct answer to title.

Our school computers suck. I mean;

E6700 Pentium Processor

2gb RAM

G41 GPU.

i cant imagine folding on my i3 elitebook

I fold on an Athlon 64 X2 24/7 *dedicated folding machine. Averages ~300 PPD

Breaking things 1 day at a time

I fold on an Athlon 64 X2 24/7 *dedicated folding machine. Averages ~300 PPD

300PPD. wow. That's like nothing  ;)

You would probably be better off getting a dedicated folding rig with a sempron 3850 or Athlon 5150/5350. The rig doesn't cost more than 200 bucks and consumes about 25W under full load, which is next to nothing in comparison to your Athlon 64.  ;) 

Or how much do you pay per kWh?

Damage to Computer Hardware

Well, not really. The main thing that goes out on computers in schools are the hard drives. RAM, CPU, and motherboard failures are quite rare. Folding does not put much stress on Hard drives, so any increased failure rate is caused by the computer being on, not by the action of Folding itself. In addition, schools are partnered with companies like HP, Dell, Acer, etc. These computers are sold to the county at an extremely low price, then the government gives them tax breaks. These hard drives are purchased for nearly nothing.

Any decay caused to the CPU, RAM, PSU, and motherboard are essentially negligible. By the time that they are decayed 1 year shorter than their average lifespan, they will essentially be obsolete. Overclocking with average usage will be far more detrimental than folding.

Alright, to address the above, since some don't believe me, here is a quote from someone in the field:

If there are any more concerns, I'll be happy to address them.

I could be wrong about states other than Florida, but according to my research on my county and the others in the state of Florida, this is what happens.

I have 1 gripe with the quote from tom'sHardware.

What school upgrades their computers every 3-4 years? At my high school the computers were (finally) partially upgraded because the P4's running XP were too slow for ACAD & Inventor. They did still have classrooms with P4 computers though, and that was in 2010-2011 IIRC. I wouldn't be surprised if they still had those P4's right now. They were almost 7-8 years old back then already. School computers often need to last a fair bit longer, even if they're slow AF.

That said, it's not unreasonable to assume it still won't matter for the PC's lifetime.

There IS a problem though, and that's the fact that you're folding on essentially ancient systems, which is inefficient and wasteful to the point where 10 of those systems won't even do what a modern system does. I'm all for "every small bit helps", but it does get ridiculous.

While power cost may not be an issue, it is not the only issue that comes with increased power usage. Power needs to be generated and this, unfortunately, means with non-renewable sources the majority of the time still. I'm not sure that the pro's from folding on older, inefficient machines is worth the potential damage to the environment. You'd be helping to solve a problem, but still making another bigger in the process.

I can't say I'm sold on the idea.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

I dont get why my school changed from desktops to laptops recently, the laptops are pretty good though, but have no gpu 

Leave a like if you breathed oxygen today

I dont get why my school changed from desktops to laptops recently, the laptops are pretty good though, but have no gpu 

I highly doubt that your school's notebooks don't have GPUs  ;) 

But let's get serious: There's no need for schools to buy expensive notebooks with a gtx980m just that the students can use word, excel and surf on youtube...

The whole case changes however, if you teach video-editing et cetera.

I highly doubt that your school's notebooks don't have GPUs  ;) 

But let's get serious: There's no need for schools to buy expensive notebooks with a gtx980m just that the students can use word, excel and surf on youtube...

The whole case changes however, if you teach video-editing et cetera.

dedicated gpus*

Leave a like if you breathed oxygen today

I just don't think folding on a pentium D is a great idea...

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I just don't think folding on a pentium D is a great idea...

It's neither efficient nor effective..

But a slow CPU is better than none  ;)

300PPD. wow. That's like nothing  ;)

You would probably be better off getting a dedicated folding rig with a sempron 3850 or Athlon 5150/5350. The rig doesn't cost more than 200 bucks and consumes about 25W under full load, which is next to nothing in comparison to your Athlon 64.  ;) 

Or how much do you pay per kWh?

1. Its just something i have folding 24/7 that was free. 2. I use my main rig at night which gets about 110000PPD

Breaking things 1 day at a time

lol And I'm still trying to get Minecraft working on the school computers

i dont think it would be all that effective most schools are running dell optiplex or macs best case scenario they are running a 4790 and an r9 250 (that is the newest and best case scenario) 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

I think a lot of the talk about low-end PC prevalence being a limiting factor to the efficacy of folding@School is focused around what is perceived as the "norm" in terms of what computers schools have.  I'd like to bring up, just in case it's been overlooked, the following two facts:

• This could be applied at more than just K-12 schools.  There are many universities and colleges with vast numbers of computers - often more up-to-date ones as well.
  • These universities, and to a lesser extent some schools almost certainly have at least a few computer "labs" with high-end (4790 type CPUs or better, and possibly high-end GeForce or even Quadro GPUs (or AMD equiv.)) for the purposes of computational fluid dynamics, or other computationally intensive simulation, as well as for the purposes of visual work like video editing and rendering, 3D creation and rendering (be it for film or architecture) etc.  So, even if most of the school is running on crap, if they have one of these labs, there is a lot of untapped potential there

If you've all already thought of this and dismissed it then so be it, but I thought in case anyone had forgotten or didn't know and sees the value here, it was worth a reminder :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Unfortunately there will be no gpu folding on school computers, they use integrated graphics.

Ryzen 9 3900x * @ 4.35ghz 1.3v

I thought about this with consoles when in idle but people said it was a stupid idea :/.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M