Why Folding On School Computers Isn't Such A Ridiculous Idea

I thought about this with consoles when in idle but people said it was a stupid idea :/.

Hm... talk about an untapped potential.  That would be interesting, but I see a few possible issues

1. afaik F@H does not currently run on any console, so a new version (well, 2 actually) would have to be made (for PS4 and XBONE)

2. Beyond that, I think it wouldn't just be a case of running a program - it would have to be integrated into the "OS" which would be a big deal.  I say this because people treat consoles differently than computers; they get turned on and off as needed by the second and often unexpectedly.  For F@H to really work, what used to turn it off would have to simply set an idle mode where F@H starts up.  And dealing with the unexpected unpluggings and so on would be a pain...

3. I'm not sure how the new ones handle heat, but there was a time when certain consoles simply could not operate indefinitely at full load without dying from it.

I'd love to be proven wrong on any of these points so please do if you think you can, but I don't think this is as easy as opportunity as the school idea, despite the fact that it may have a similar or even larger impact if it worked.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Hm... talk about an untapped potential.  That would be interesting, but I see a few possible issues

1. afaik F@H does not currently run on any console, so a new version (well, 2 actually) would have to be made (for PS4 and XBONE)

2. Beyond that, I think it wouldn't just be a case of running a program - it would have to be integrated into the "OS" which would be a big deal.  I say this because people treat consoles differently than computers; they get turned on and off as needed by the second and often unexpectedly.  For F@H to really work, what used to turn it off would have to simply set an idle mode where F@H starts up.  And dealing with the unexpected unpluggings and so on would be a pain...

3. I'm not sure how the new ones handle heat, but there was a time when certain consoles simply could not operate indefinitely at full load without dying from it.

I'd love to be proven wrong on any of these points so please do if you think you can, but I don't think this is as easy as opportunity as the school idea, despite the fact that it may have a similar or even larger impact if it worked.

Yeah, the heat and all wouldn't be so great but as spoken about before on this thread, having F@H running mid load would be better. PS3's use to be able to fold, back when you could install Linux and all that, it was pretty impressive to see as well.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

My old highschool's been running SETI@Home for 8 years now (ever since I convinced the faculty to do it back when I was a freshman) and so far none of the computers have failed due to the load (then again they've failed because of stupid kids that more or less intentionally borked them in one way or another).

Even if they're running for 5-6 hours/day during breaks or when there isn't anyone in the labs, once you have 100-odd PCs working about you'll be gettin' that sweet credit pretty fast (if that's really all you care about).

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Regardless of the complications that may arise the fact still remains that we have an enormous amount of computational power not being utilized. It seems like a waste to let increasingly outdated hardware stay underutilized. I think it's a pretty sensible idea, and we can simply throttle the crap out of them to keep power and temps reasonable. In which case there's more that these computers can do other than protein folding. On top of that its overall impact on the cost to subsidize the extra electricity necessary to run this program should be negligible. Electricity is obviously classified as a utility and thus quite cheap... Now if only we didn't run so much of it on oil.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

It's neither efficient nor effective..

But a slow CPU is better than none  ;)

Is it though? You'd be finding a cure for cancer while melting the icecaps.

Folding on old harware isn't worth it IMHO.

Regardless of the complications that may arise the fact still remains that we have an enormous amount of computational power not being utilized. It seems like a waste to let increasingly outdated hardware stay underutilized. I think it's a pretty sensible idea, and we can simply throttle the crap out of them to keep power and temps reasonable. In which case there's more that these computers can do other than protein folding. On top of that its overall impact on the cost to subsidize the extra electricity necessary to run this program should be negligible. Electricity is obviously classified as a utility and thus quite cheap... Now if only we didn't run so much of it on oil.

This! Many people seem to be ignoring this fact. It's great that you want to help research which can lead to cures for certain incurable diseases, but destroying the environment in the process won't make it worth.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."