College Degree? Career?

Sorkurie
Go to solution Solved by Sorkurie,

I am trying to push through it. But as I said. I'm going to community college. This is technically suppose to be a 2 year college. I've been staying and taking as many classes as I can here to save money before I transfer to a university. It's just frustrating when I am unable to get a math class every semester or drop a class because I'm not passing it. There's also plenty of precedents I've had that don't work well for me. I do try some after school programs. And I did have a couple people to ask for help. But most of them already finished or moved.

I've been attending community college for.. Maybe 3 years now? I'm currently majoring in computer science. I'm starting to feel discouraged. Here's my problem. I love computers. I love technology. Electronics. I built my own computer. I love building things and taking them apart. Hands on. Legos. Computers are so fascinating. I want to learn everything I can about technology in general. I want to be a jack of all trades. I assumed computer science was more broad for a computer degree. But.. The math. I'm bad at math, and I hate it on top of it. I'm so bad at math, that I tested into Math 61 which is like.. 5th grade math?? So my first year in college I took Math 61 which was easy for me. Really a waste of time. I still need another 5 or 6 more math classes. I'm worried I won't be able to pass.. I love computers, but this math is killing me. Any thoughts?? Any other degrees that involves electronics and less math?

the importance of math cannot be understated...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I've been attending community college for.. Maybe 3 years now? I'm currently majoring in computer science. I'm starting to feel discouraged. Here's my problem. I love computers. I love technology. Electronics. I built my own computer. I love building things and taking them apart. Hands on. Legos. Computers are so fascinating. I want to learn everything I can about technology in general. I want to be a jack of all trades. I assumed computer science was more broad for a computer degree. But.. The math. I'm bad at math, and I hate it on top of it. I'm so bad at math, that I tested into Math 61 which is like.. 5th grade math?? So my first year in college I took Math 61 which was easy for me. Really a waste of time. I still need another 5 or 6 more math classes. I'm worried I won't be able to pass.. I love computers, but this math is killing me. Any thoughts?? Any other degrees that involves electronics and less math?

Math is like air. Don't like it? You'll probably die then. Your best bet is just try to push through it.

Talk to your counselor that is what they are their for and they can probably hook you up with tutoring. Make a study group with a bunch of hot chicks or something, just pass it. Depending on what you do with your degree you probably wont even use any math.  

I'm guessing the major you're in now is mostly about the programming aspect of computer science. The're many many many fields in the computer science world what do you want to do as a career after school?

Math is integrated into everyday life. There is no avoiding it, and you can only benefit from being able to utilize and understand it.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

I think people in this thread are misunderstanding your problem with math. You're not having trouble with math as a whole, I'm assuming, but the more advanced classes you need to take? I'm right there with you on that. I don't know what to tell you other than to switch to an easier major or just grow a bigger sack than other people and push through it.

I'm guessing the major you're in now is mostly about the programming aspect of computer science. The're many many many fields in the computer science world what do you want to do as a career after school?

yes. But the thing is is right now, I can't even take programming classes because they all have prerequisites. I'm currently taking college Algebra 2. After I need Trig, Pre Cal, Calculus, Stats, and one other class after that. Part of the reason why I wanna do this is my dream job is to one day work for Microsoft, Google, Apple, or steam.

yes. But the thing is is right now, I can't even take programming classes because they all have prerequisites. I'm currently taking college Algebra 2. After I need Trig, Pre Cal, Calculus, Stats, and one other class after that. Part of the reason why I wanna do this is my dream job is to one day work for Microsoft, Google, Apple, or steam.

Then you gotta suck it up and do the math.

The basics of calculus are exceedingly important from a logical perspective even if you don't rigorously use it later in life (which you will at any of the companies you listed).

Likewise with stats.

Sounds harsh, but there is no avoiding that stuff.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Do you already know how to program? Do you work on projects in your spare time and keep them on your github?

bro a bit of harder work in math now and then its done

get a tutor if you need

Fractal Design Core 2500 i7 4770k GA-Z87X-UD5H Cooler Master Hyper D92 Kingston HyperX 8GB  Powercolor r9 390 PCS+ Antec HCG-620M 

IF you are good at Math then pursue it. I was Comp Sci major for my first year of college, I am now in my third year business degree. I couldn't do the math, it is very hard and time consuming. My buddy who graduated with a Comp Sci degree now works at Texas Instruments here in Dallas and a programming team. He's told me all of the tricks to get to the same place he is without the comp sci degree. I am just self teaching myself C++ right now, to hopefully get where I want to be.

Math is hard man. The best thing I've done for my career though is pushing through math. I was like you and started community college in super basic math and worked my way through calculus. It took time and a lot of work, but you can find a way through it. The best thing you can do is create study groups. It makes it easier. That said you still have to put in the time on your own. Even outside of computer science learning the analytical skills required to complete college level math will earn you money. 

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

Personally I hate college and higher education

most learn very little in college, and most of what you do learn can be learned elsewhere.

the problem in life is that employers want to see you go to college anyway. They believe that by getting that degree it shows that you are more dedicated and are willing to sacrifice for your goals, the qualities of good employees.

if this career path is important to you then just keep going. 

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Do you already know how to program? Do you work on projects in your spare time and keep them on your github?

I have zero experience with programming and coding. I cannot take them yet at college because my math isn't high enough. And I have not taken any at home. Anything that requires math, I'm not very good at self teaching. Any other subject is fine. Math is the only thing I struggle with.

I am trying to push through it. But as I said. I'm going to community college. This is technically suppose to be a 2 year college. I've been staying and taking as many classes as I can here to save money before I transfer to a university. It's just frustrating when I am unable to get a math class every semester or drop a class because I'm not passing it. There's also plenty of precedents I've had that don't work well for me. I do try some after school programs. And I did have a couple people to ask for help. But most of them already finished or moved.

Just bust your ass and learn it. Math is a simple thing compared to say english.

I have zero experience with programming and coding. I cannot take them yet at college because my math isn't high enough. And I have not taken any at home. Anything that requires math, I'm not very good at self teaching. Any other subject is fine. Math is the only thing I struggle with.

try to learn some basic programming on your own basic programming is all simple math that you already know, but if you don't have some understanding of how programming works image what it will be like when you go to a programming class that wants you to use complex math. If you just get the basics of coding done on your own you'll be in a much better place when you push through all those math classes. plus a lot of the time using the math you're having a hard time with in a practical problem is a good way to understand it better rather then just looking at it in a theoretical way.

Computer Science is a degree that I have, and it isn't easy.

Computer Science derives from Mathematics and Science field. The focus is more on optimization, and design of algorithms.

While there is still math, it should have less, if you switch to Software Engineering. Many classes are identical, so you should be able to transfer with ease, and anything not in the program, you can see if you can have the school consider it as elective. Talk to your academic adviser for all details, and the best way to transfer.

What I did, is that I balanced elective courses, with theory classes. Like this I get to keep my sanity. I took business courses, I took embedded system (that was real cool. I built a touch screen remote controlled RC car with sensors on, and avoids obstacles), programming classes, and stuff like that.

Sorry I missed your post about prerequisites, those are classes that pretty much need to do in any engineering/science/health programs.

If you are having trouble, get help, like a tutor, or see if the school has anything

From my experience with computers and with my dad's experience in the engineering and electrical field, I can tell you that computers are mostly basic algebra. Simple concepts just repeated several times until you get what you want. Engineering is more complex math, calculus, trigonometry, statistical analysis, etc.

I used to hate math as well, and I'm just like you, hands on and very interested in how things work. It's why I want to be a mechanical engineer. But you have to learn to like math, the more hands on work you do, the more you'll see how integral it is with daily life. Even art has math, and math has art. Once you see that, you can't stop learning and you just want to learn more and more.

The math is a tool in computer science, and although you won't use it very much (the computer does everything nowadays), it's still a necessity to know and provides a basis to do other things on.

Just power through it, learn the basic concepts. Basic facts build up to complex ideas. If you have the basic facts, you can work through the complex ideas. That's how I get through my college math classes, just taking it one little step at a time. You'll get better over time and much faster.

Just my two cents.

I'm just gonna drop my opinion,

Math is hard, you gotta push through it! I mean you passed foreign language

thats the hardest part, learning another language! If you can do that, you can do anything

gO FIND THAT X

3x+5=15

kidding, you gotta power through it, I feel that exact same way, you really just need to learn it, study it and be prepared!

But you have to learn to like math, the more hands on work you do, the more you'll see how integral it is with daily life. 

punny, punny man.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I'm just gonna drop my opinion,

Math is hard, you gotta push through it! I mean you passed foreign language

thats the hardest part, learning another language! If you can do that, you can do anything

gO FIND THAT X

3x+5=15

kidding, you gotta power through it, I feel that exact same way, you really just need to learn it, study it and be prepared!

X=(10/3)