Is the i3 4170 much better than an OC G3258?

I'm on a tight budget and I'm wondering if the i3 is worth it. Does hyperthreading affect gaming performance drastically?

I'm on a tight budget and I'm wondering if the i3 is worth it. Does hyperthreading affect gaming performance drastically?

Most games won't run on a G3258 so yea.  The i3 is better.  If gettting the i3 will take the budget away from other parts like the GPU or PSU, get an AMD Athlon X4 860K instead and put more money towards the GPU and PSU.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

The two extra cores (although virtualized) will have a large impact on gaming.

For a cheaper alternative, an Athlon X4 860K would suffice.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Some games deny to run without 4 threads, so the i3 would be a safer bet.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

The two extra cores (although virtualized) will have a large impact on gaming.

For a cheaper alternative, an Athlon X4 860K would suffice.

Unfortunately I already have a msi h81 p33

Most games won't run on a G3258 so yea. The i3 is better. If gettting the i3 will take the budget away from other parts like the GPU or PSU, get an AMD Athlon X4 860K instead and put more money towards the GPU and PSU.

One game. (That I know of) Far Cry 4. And it's got a fix.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

It affects it enormously. I had a G3258 at 4.4 GHz and it was straight dogshit with my GTX 970. When I replaced it with a Xeon E3-1231v3 and turned off two cores but left HT on to simulate a 3.8 GHz i3, Grand Theft Auto V ran beautifully on my 970. When I turned off HT though and left only two cores on the game was borderline unplayable, terrible oscillation in framerates and lots of stuttering. I haven't played GTA V on my actual G3258 though since I replaced it with the Xeon before GTA V came out on PC.

@i_build_nanosuits did a comparison of a simulated 4.5 GHz G3258 and a simulated i3-4150 with his i7-4770k by disabling cores and/or hyperthreading, and the difference was night and day. I trust his results because his simulated 4.5 GHz G3258 and GTX 780 closely resembled my experience with an actual 4.4 GHz G3258 and a GTX 970. The i3-4170 is night and day better than the G3258.

I wasn't getting full GPU usage with my simulated i3 in GTA V; it was more like 85% on my 970 most of the time, but it was still enough to keep over 60 fps 95% of the time and to only have drops into the 52-55 fps range for the most part. I was really impressed by how well two cores with HT on ran GTA V on my system with a GTX 970, and GTA V is a very cpu heavy game. It was a really enjoyable experience, whereas gaming on a 4.4 GHz G3258 was mostly a frustrating experience with wildly oscillating framerates. Most new games run badly if you don't have at least 4 hardware threads. A few like Crysis 3 run badly if you don't have at least 4 physical cores, but for the most part an i3 is a very solid gaming cpu. It's not an i5 but it's worlds better than a Pentium at any reasonable 24/7 overclock you could get.

Also, get an Nvidia GPU. AMD gpus don't run well with the i3 due to AMD driver overhead (Digital Foundry has established this over and over). Nvidia's drivers handle i3s beautifully.

But Far Cry Primal is coming out in a few months...

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

It either runs like shit on Triple A games or doesn't run at all in most cases.

Don't bother trying to defend it.

Best Bench Runs & 24/7 Rig

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Yes, the i3 has hyper threading. Games like far cry 4 won't even run on dual cores (maybe with some tweaking but not well), expect new games to be the same.

Yes, that's why I didn't get a G3258 and I'm glad.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

yes it's worth it and yes hyper-threading especially on a dual core processor will help your gaming experience tremendously

@SteveGrabowski0 is absolutely right in his post everything he said is legit here are the videos he's talking about the first one i'm playing demanding games on dual core no hyper-threading overclocked to 4.5ghz you can see those games stutter like hell most of them are unplayable:

And here is dual core with hyper-threading at much lower clockspeed i don't have all the games tested but you can see that CPU is keeping up in BF4 on ultra settings and it will play all the other games of the previous video at a much greater level of smoothness:

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

yes it's worth it and yes hyper-threading especially on a dual core processor will help your gaming experience tremendously@SteveGrabowski0 is absolutely right in his post everything he said is legit here are the videos he's talking about the first one i'm playing demanding games on dual core no hyper-threading overclocked to 4.5ghz you can see those games stutter like hell most of them are unplayable:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub3lzTplYxMAnd here is dual core with hyper-threading at much lower clockspeed i don't have all the games tested but you can see that CPU is keeping up in BF4 on ultra settings and it will play all the other games of the previous video at a much greater level of smoothness:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOe0xO33no

got to give it to ya mate, one of the best posts ive seen from you in ages. +1 for that!!

@Bobby_Joe_90

if money is an issue, you can go with a AMD FX 6300, it is sort of a "wildcard", but in general it performs between an i3 4130 and an i5 4460 depending on the game.

However, i would reccomend the i3 6100 with a Z170 board and 2666MHz+ RAM.

it is really strong, and they are now possible to overclock through baseclock without wrecking the whole system.

in terms of what i personally reccomend, it must be the i3 6100 with FX 6300 coming second. the Skylake i3 is a bit expensive, but worth it. The FX is a bit old and there will not be much of a upgrade path for it. However it will perform respectably for the price.

In all honesty, you get what you pay for, and FX being cheaper then the Skylake i3 6100, it is going to perform less.