Dell announces UP3017Q 4K OLED Ultrasharp display that costs $4999 - CES 2016

kameshss

The monitor might support 120Hz, but at like 1080p, Just something to keep in mind.

yeah, may be even at 1440p too.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Nice, OLED showed up finally. Though I don't quite understand price since we've been seeing it in smartphones for quite some time and it didn't affect it like tenfold, pretty much the same.
Yeah it's 4K and rated with good color range, also being big but still. Probably case they can I guess cause being among first.

Hope to see something like this gaming grade more like with adaptive sync :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

We will be able to this year, pascal/polaris coming this year, and each card will probably be around double the performance of last years cards.  Remember with tweaks, the 980ti could run a lot of games at 4k around 60fps or better, the fury x less so depending on the game, but close.  Not a stretch at all to think this year this is coming, and now we have the displays for it.  Yes it costs unicorn blood, but it's worth it.  The unicorns must die.

Im not hoping for that, im going for 4k 60fps I know its often illogical to look at the past to predict the future. However the last few generations, the dual gpu card has always been a little bit better than the next gen single gpu card. E.g. 6990 > 7970 7990 > 290x 295x2 > fury x. I know it may not be right, but would it not be too far to assume, however much I do not believe this, that the 490x may only be about 90% of the fury x2 (or two fury x's). I know this is a bit stupid, I would say the 500 series would be more like a decent timeframe for a 120fps at 4k.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Get an OBD reader, they are around 100$ the good ones, and it will tell you the problem of your car. All car mechanics have it, that is how they identify problems on cars since 1997.

I already got the error codes, it's an issue with the evap control solenoid, so it's nothing major but it's keeping the light on.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Lots of 4k good stuff but not enough space. Wish they'd release 21:9 monitors with 4k and ofc high refresh rates.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Do not get excited just yet, I think the specs are wrong, as DP 1.2 does not have enough bandwidth, unless Dell used Dual DP 1.2, which has problems.

well, i'm just excited about 4K@120hz, not about the monitor itself as you might expect with the price tag :P , so even if it has said DP issues i'm fine with it as long as the technology starts to get acclimated and cheaper.

YEAH! because we can play games at 4k, 120fps 

Most games i play on 1440p run at high frames on SLI 970s, so if this technology is cheap enough when i upgrade, then i'm sure pascal or whatever comes then will be able to handle such a beast

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

If this is an lg oled similar to the tvs that should solve the color life issue since they use white oleds and get colors from passing that light through filters, there is no differential decay rate between red/blue/green oled sub pixels.  As for image retention, not sure what's being done to address that, maybe they have a solution since they released it on a monitor where that usage case has to be accounted for.

Plasmas basically stopped having image retention issues later on.

There is a huge difference in the lifespan of OLED subpixels. You can see this very clearly on some Samsung phones. My Galaxy S 2 for example is much more blue where the status bar is. That's because the pixels in the status bar have been turned off most of the time, and the blue subpixels in the rest of the display has died out faster than the rest.

I don't know if Samsung still does it, but on their older phones they actually shifted the color balance towards he blue. By making everything slightly more blue they could make the display less accurate out of the box, but it would counter some of the decay.

I don't have any exact numbers (and the numbers have changed over the generations) but I believe I read that blue subpixels degrade about 30% faster.

Oh cool. I just won $6000 in scratch tickets. I can replace my 23" Viewsonic garbage TN screen.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The monitor might support 120Hz, but at like 1080p, Just something to keep in mind.

120 at 1440p.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

As beautiful as this monitor is (I want!), can someone please come out with this soon?

iron-man_tony-stark-desk_1sm.jpg

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I heard rumors of this announcement and I'm drooling. Just add g-sync and drop the price by $3000 and I'm ready. :^)

As beautiful as this monitor is (I want!), can someone please come out with this soon?

Too glossy to do anything productive. Look it, it is a mirror, and for some reason it also zooms in reflections. Look, he has giant hands!

Cheap.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Too glossy to do anything productive. Look it, it is a mirror, and for some reason it also zooms in reflections. Look, he has giant hands!

But they're so beautiful and thin and hologram-y!

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

But they're so beautiful and thin and hologram-y!

Fiiiiiiiine, I'll have my team of scientists and engineers work on it.

Its not like the death ray and time machine is going anywhere. Although, fantastic progress on my time machine was made recently. If you go in, and say you want to go in the future by 5sec, set to forward (current the only direction that works) and just press the activation button for about 5sec (it needs to prepare), and voila, 5sec in the future, approximately. Strangely, the preparation time seems to increase the further you want to go in the future, forcing to make the time traveler press the button longer. Meh, oh well, monitor it is.

Tell that to the people who use iMacs for photo and video editing. Glossy =/= bad for production. In fact avoiding anti-glare coatings makes color reproduction better.

Fiiiiiiiine, I'll have my team of scientists and engineers work on it.

Its not like the death ray and time machine is going anywhere. Although, fantastic progress on my time machine was made recently. If you go in, and say you want to go in the future by 5sec, set to forward (current the only direction that works) and just press the activation button for about 5sec (it needs to prepare), and voila, 5sec in the future, approximately. Strangely, the preparation time seems to increase the further you want to go in the future, forcing to make the time traveler press the button longer. Meh, oh well, monitor it is.

"What do we want?"

Time travel!

"When do we want it?"

It's irrelevant! 

:D

15" MBP TB

Tell that to the people who use iMacs for photo and video editing. Glossy =/= bad for production. In fact avoiding anti-glare coatings makes color reproduction better.

Nope. A good displays will have a good anti-glare film. Those films aren't a texture transparent plastic. They are formed (well the good ones) to allow light to pass through in 1 direction more straight, while the other direction deflects in all direction.

Graphics artists tend to go with an iMac, because they are not tech oriented people. They know their software, tools, and have really good drawing skills, but knowledge on computers is limited. Apple is the only computer manufacture for the longest time that offered a simple solution, where you have the specs they needs, and an IPS panel (let alone be a true 8-bit panel, which most people that buy IPS monitors here aren't willing to cash out for, and opt for a 6-bit panel instead), with good color calibration out of the box. That is how Apple took over.

Can you please change something in this topic, so many people are now thinking this monitor is 4K OLED 120hz

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

Depends on the coating. The anti glare coatings on eyeglasses don't change the color.

Depends on the coating. The anti glare coatings on eyeglasses don't change the color.

Yeah they do. I actually had to account for that in my research. The change is less than 2%, but it's there.

Ultrasharps have always been my favorite..but never this expensive

Shipping sucks

Ultrasharps have always been my favorite..but never this expensive

Eh, huge input lag and GTG response times compared to other options like Samsung and Eizo.