Will AMD make a comeback?

AMD's stock is dwindling, at $2.80 right now, coming from $20-$40 several years ago. My question is, will AMD be competitive soon? This seems like a really good buy atm considering Zen is coming soon and even a small jump in stock could help dramatically.  

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=amd&fr=uh3_finance_web&uhb=uhb2

restarted my account

I've been monitoring AMD's stock prices for about a year and around 6 or so months ago it was at just ~$1.90 a share, so it's already rising. If you have money buying 100 shares may be a smart move.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Zen= too little too late. As it is the price won't be as low as it needs to be.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

AMD's stock is dwindling, at $2.80 right now, coming from $20-$40 several years ago. My question is, will AMD be competitive soon? This seems like a really good buy atm considering Zen is coming soon and even a small jump in stock could help dramatically.  

We don't know for sure, At least wait for zen. It could be bad or good. 

My own opinion, Hopefully it works out for them. Intel's being a head for a while now. I want to see what AMD can offer. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

It will largely depend on how well zen does. they are hyping it up, but if it isnt competitive with intel cpus again, people are going to give up...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

In GPUs, they're still in the race, though slightly behind at the moment.

In CPUs, they are almost dead. Zen will be their last shot at relevance outside the realm of budget systems. It's going to have to be a massive step, of similar scale of P4/Netburst -> Core2/Conroe, to save the business.

The Cheap SFF Wonder -- Turning a Core 2 Duo SFF machine into a useful member of computer society!

i5 3570 -- AS.Rock Z77 Pro3 -- 12GB DDR3 -- R9 380X -- 840Evo 500GB/1TB HDD 

I speak the honest truth with a bit of snark mixed in. I'm sorry if it doesn't line up with your beliefs.

In CPUs, they are almost dead. Zen will be their last shot at relevance outside the realm of budget systems. It's going to have to be a massive step, of similar scale of P4/Netburst -> Core2/Conroe, to save the business.

In GPUs they should be winning as in the mid range their cards are outperforming their competitors but they aren't because the GPU company everyone knows of is Nvidia. :c

As for CPUs, hopefully Zen has Haswell performance at a much lower cost (octocore at i5 prices please?)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Slightly behind in GPUS? They darn near beat nvidia in every price point.

You can get a R7 370 for around the same price as a 750Ti and offers similar performance to a 950 for a bit less. Every 280/x, 285, 380/x beat the 960 by around 7-15%. The 390 performs similar to a 970 at 1080p though resolutions any higher the 390 comes out on top. With the 390x being so much cheaper then a 980, the price - performance is better and the R9 Fury being about $10-$30 more it beats the 980 at any resolution higher then 1080. The R9 Fury X is on par with stock 980Tis though nvidia does pull ahead with aftermarket solutions. AMD still has the best dual GPUs with the 390x2 and 295x2 still being the best single slot cards out yet.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

You can get a R7 370 for around the same price as a 750Ti and offers similar performance to a 950 for a bit less. Every 280/x, 285, 380/x beat the 960 by around 7-15%. The 390 performs similar to a 970 at 1080p though resolutions any higher the 390 comes out on top. With the 390x being so much cheaper then a 980, the price - performance is better and the R9 Fury being about $10-$30 more it beats the 980 at any resolution higher then 1080. The R9 Fury X is on par with stock 980Tis though nvidia does pull ahead with aftermarket solutions. AMD still has the best dual GPUs with the 390x2 and 295x2 still being the best single slot cards out yet.

I think he meant in market share. 

EDIT: Sorry, wrong post. My bad. <3

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Will you buy AMDs ZEN products?

will you buy AMDs Arctic Island products?

If the answer to the above is yes, and the rest of us also buys their products. then YES, they will make a comeback

Will you buy AMDs ZEN products?

will you buy AMDs Arctic Island products?

If the answer to the above is yes, and the rest of us also buys their products. then YES, they will make a comeback

if only it was that simple

restarted my account

In GPUs they should be winning as in the mid range their cards are outperforming their competitors but they aren't because the GPU company everyone knows of is Nvidia. :c

As for CPUs, hopefully Zen has Haswell performance at a much lower cost (octocore at i5 prices please?)

I'm not just talking price point. I'm also including performance per watt  The 380X, for example, sucks more power than even the non-Ti 980, despite the 980 wiping the floor with it in performance.  EDIT: Made the mistake of using TDP numbers in place of power consumption. They really pull roughly the same power. Point still applies however. That's a sign of a problem with the architecture, and they're having to push it a lot harder to get the performance to match/exceed Nvidia solutions. They're also probably having to seriously cut their margins to meet the price points.

Hopefully AMD's new Polaris architecture solves the issues with these final-gen GCN cards. However, Nvidia also has Pascal on the horizon.

The Cheap SFF Wonder -- Turning a Core 2 Duo SFF machine into a useful member of computer society!

I speak the honest truth with a bit of snark mixed in. I'm sorry if it doesn't line up with your beliefs.

if only it was that simple

it is THAT simple

if AMD gets customers. AMD gets money

If AMD gets money, they can pay off their loans

If AMD can pay off their loans, they can make more products

If AMD can make more products, they can compete with intel

I'm not just talking price point. I'm also including performance per watt  The 380X, for example, sucks more power than even the non-Ti 980, despite the 980 wiping the floor with it in performance. That's a sign of a problem with the architecture, and they're having to push it a lot harder to get the performance to match/exceed Nvidia solutions. They're also probably having to seriously cut their margins to meet the price points.

Hopefully AMD's new Polaris architecture solves the issues with these final-gen GCN cards. However, Nvidia also has Pascal on the horizon.

Where are you getting that wattage info from? Just curious.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I'm not just talking price point. I'm also including performance per watt  The 380X, for example, sucks more power than even the non-Ti 980, despite the 980 wiping the floor with it in performance. That's a sign of a problem with the architecture, and they're having to push it a lot harder to get the performance to match/exceed Nvidia solutions. They're also probably having to seriously cut their margins to meet the price points.

What are you talking about? The 380x doesn't consume that much power. Are you confusing it with the 390x?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9784/the-amd-radeon-r9-380x-review/13

Matches a GTX 970 in power consumption (Total system load, 380x: 299W and 970: 300W

Reference 980:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/21

~300W (give or take 5 watts depending on game vs synthetic

Granted, the 980 is more powerful, but the 970 doesn't sip much less power, despite the 970 generally being a better buy over a 980, so in that department, NVIDIA is also worse than itself.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Where are you getting that wattage info from? Just curious.

I was going by TDPs (190W for 380X vs 165W for 980), but after a bit more research, they seem to be pretty close in full load consumption (Anandtech saw 288W and 294W respectively in FurMark).

Going by TDPs probably was a mistake, but it seems my point is still valid. 

it is THAT simple

just because people buy their products, doesn't mean they make a comeback (ESPECIALLY talking about stock). A good example is Apple, people are buying from them more then ever, but their stock is falling and their market share is dropping. 

restarted my account

The real question is: how long will Nvidia maintain current profitability in the PC Gaming sector, as the market slowly keeps moving toward consolidated Design (SOC, APU), and Discrete graphic cards become more and more niche, used mostly for professional use and the very high end? 

It's obvious that Gameworks is a hail mary on Nvidia's part, trying to keep themselves relevant in the PC gaming space for years to come through brute force, hoping to slow down the changes taking place in the game development world. But, looking down the road at where things are headed, AMD's real competition will be Intel in the X86 and Graphics (for gaming and multimedia) marketspace, as well as SOC makers in the embedded marketspace. Nvidia is also moving into the embedded marketspace with their tegra SOC line, so while Nvidia may slowly drift out of the PC gaming space (we're talking years here), they will become a competitor elsewhere without a doubt. AMD's continued existence depends on their relationship with Intel, Samsung and others, and whether this long game they've been playing will pan out. How successful Nvidia is in the PC space has little bearing on AMD's future, because it is inevitable that hardware continues to consolidate and discrete GPU's get pushed out of the mainstream. Intel aren't particularly threatened by AMD, but it serves them well to have AMD there for multiple reasons. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I was going by TDPs (190W for 380X vs 165W for 980), but after a bit more research, they seem to be pretty close in full load consumption (Anandtech saw 288W and 294W respectively in FurMark).

TDP != Power Consumption. When will people stop assuming it does? It never has, and never will be an accurate representation of actual power consumption.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

TDP is a measure of heat output iirc. (Thermal Design Power) Just thought I'd let you know c:

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

just because people buy their products, doesn't mean they make a comeback (ESPECIALLY talking about stock). A good example is Apple, people are buying from them more then ever, but their stock is falling and their market share is dropping. 

Apple makes significantly more profit than any of their competitors, so I doubt they're worried too much about a small slide in marketshare.

Also, do you have a source for that?

TDP != Power Consumption. When will people stop assuming it does? It never has, and never will be an accurate representation of actual power consumption.

Yes, I know it's not literally power consumption, it's the heat it puts off.

In my experience, at least with CPUs, TDP is "close enough" (depending on accuracy needed) to realistic full load. GPUs are a very different beast and I made the mistake of thinking it's the same way.

I'd rather not argue this anymore, for the sake of not completely derailing the thread. Sorry for making semi-bullshit statements.

do you know how stock markets work?

stocks are based upon "investor goodwill".

If AMD is making steady progress, shows signs of making money, shows signs of making competitive products. their stock will rise. Aslong as your company has positive outlooks, the stocks WILL RISE.

market share is deceptive.

Android is beating apple handily in the smartphone market. Yet apple makes MORE MONEY THEN ALL THE ANDROID COMPANIES (probably put together).

MARGINS is what matters. Not the market share.

it is THAT simple

I wish there was a facepalm emote
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GBStorage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GBGPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video CardCase: Corsair SPEC-01 REDPower Supply: EVGA 600BNetworking Card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" MonitorKeyboard: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition (Cherry MX Blue) Mouse: Logitech G100s | Quote me and say "Dope Flamingo" if you actually read this.