So my EKWB Predator 360 leaked...

So I got an email about potentially defective Predator units from EKWB.  Shut down my system to investigate, and sure enough, the cpu block was leaking.  
But it gets better, it leaked out of the CPU block and down onto the graphics card pcb, right near where it plugs into the PCI-E lane, and got coolant INSIDE the PCI-E port!
But it kept going, the coolant kept dripping down the motherboard PCB all the way down to the USB connectors, corroding every copper trace it came into contact with.  

I've totally dismantled the build and the motherboard is currently sitting on my workbench, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to dry it out.  What leaked out isn't just water, it's whatever coolant was inside the Predator AIO unit, and if im not mistaken these coolants are designed NOT to evaporate, correct?  

Honestly, even if I can get the motherboard 100% dry, I think the damage may already have been done as far as corroding the traces.  

As for the graphics card, it's a 980ti, that I have a full-cover EK block on, pre-filled with the Quick-disconnect couplings so it was in a loop with the predator 360.  So even if the graphics card wasn't damaged at all by the liquid, it's basically a paperweight if it isn't connected to a Predator 360 with the quick-disconnect couplers.  

So my question is, anyone have any experience in dealing with EKWB customer service?  The original email I got about the potentially defective unit said they will be giving free replacements for defective units, but can I expect them to do anything at all about the motherboard and/or GPU?

This really sucks, this was my first experience with a (semi) custom water-cooling loop.  I've heard nothing but good things about EKWB.  I was so nervous putting the water-block on the 980ti, and installing the predator 360 was nerve-racking, and I was so nervous about screwing something up the whole time, now it turns out the damn thing leaks all over my system not because of some noob mistake I made, but because of a defective o-ring!  

post-289523-0-41430200-1451386534_thumb.

post-289523-0-74331700-1451386541_thumb.

post-289523-0-30537000-1451386547_thumb.

post-289523-0-26514200-1451386550_thumb.

post-289523-0-68876100-1451386554_thumb.

post-289523-0-53510900-1451386562_thumb.

post-289523-0-02460500-1451386569_thumb.

Sorry that happened to you :(

this is not the first time ive heard of the predator CPU block leaking

hopefully they can fix that for free, and maybe use the supremacy EVO block next time instead of the cheaper budget block....

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I had my Corsair H100i leak on me and Corsair took my whole computer (GPU, CPU, Mobo, PSU & AIO) and once they determined the damage was from my H100i they gave me a new AIO (the H105) and refunded me the retail cost of the remaining parts of my system (which included GPU, CPU, PSU & Mobo). The whole process took just over 2 weeks to handle.

I'd contact EK's Customer Service about the limits of an RMA through EK for the rest of your system which might have been damaged. Rather let them determine there is something wrong with it than you voiding your own warranty trying to pull everything apart.

@EK Luc

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Make sure you have plenty of pictures and contact them about damaged goods.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

As far as I know, we only cover the EK parts in the RMA :(

Ouch :/

Best of luck @Setecastronomy

So I got an email about potentially defective Predator units from EKWB.  Shut down my system to investigate, and sure enough, the cpu block was leaking.  

But it gets better, it leaked out of the CPU block and down onto the graphics card pcb, right near where it plugs into the PCI-E lane, and got coolant INSIDE the PCI-E port!

But it kept going, the coolant kept dripping down the motherboard PCB all the way down to the USB connectors, corroding every copper trace it came into contact with.  

I've totally dismantled the build and the motherboard is currently sitting on my workbench, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to dry it out.  What leaked out isn't just water, it's whatever coolant was inside the Predator AIO unit, and if im not mistaken these coolants are designed NOT to evaporate, correct?  

Honestly, even if I can get the motherboard 100% dry, I think the damage may already have been done as far as corroding the traces.  

As for the graphics card, it's a 980ti, that I have a full-cover EK block on, pre-filled with the Quick-disconnect couplings so it was in a loop with the predator 360.  So even if the graphics card wasn't damaged at all by the liquid, it's basically a paperweight if it isn't connected to a Predator 360 with the quick-disconnect couplers.  

So my question is, anyone have any experience in dealing with EKWB customer service?  The original email I got about the potentially defective unit said they will be giving free replacements for defective units, but can I expect them to do anything at all about the motherboard and/or GPU?

This really sucks, this was my first experience with a (semi) custom water-cooling loop.  I've heard nothing but good things about EKWB.  I was so nervous putting the water-block on the 980ti, and installing the predator 360 was nerve-racking, and I was so nervous about screwing something up the whole time, now it turns out the damn thing leaks all over my system not because of some noob mistake I made, but because of a defective o-ring!  

I don't know how I got so lucky but I caught mine as soon as it started leaking. Mine started leaking from the front though. Hope your board and card are ok.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

snip

well at least YOU turned your system off to investigate.  I feel like the chances of saving your hardware are pretty good if everything was running and working when your shut it down to investigate. cleaning it off with the highest % rubbing alcohol you can find should clean it off, and hopefully the liquid hasn't been there long enough to cause any corrosion issues.  

edit: obviously let it dry for 1-2 days after cleaning it

As far as I know, we only cover the EK parts in the RMA :(

is this an issue that all supremacy MX owners are facing?  I've got a MX in my pc right now (from a L120 R2.0 kit, bought from performance-pcs.com) and I'm getting a little nervous to be honest.  I've got another CPU block on hand if it would be wise to get a new o-ring for the MX.  

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

post-289523-0-10547800-1451460997.jpg  

I don't think any physical damage was done to the graphics card, like I said, the system never shorted out or anything and it was running WHILE the CPU block was leaking.  I cleaned off as much of the spilled coolant as I could see from the graphics card using 99% alcohol, and currently letting it sit out to dry.  The problem with the graphics card is that it has a water block on it, pre-filled with the QDC connectors, so I can't just throw it in another system and check to see if it's okay.  I have to wait for a replacement Predator 360 to show up before I can find out if my graphics card that I've got $900 invested in is now a paper-weight...

As for the motherboard, I'm still trying to get all the spilled coolant off of it, it seeped underneath where the onboard battery is, and I can't seem to get it all out, every time I try spraying it with compressed air, more and more coolant comes out.  Honestly, as of right now I've all but written the motherboard off as dead.  I don't feel comfortable putting my 5820k back into that socket and even trying to let it post.  I mean, maybe it's okay, but if something does short-circuit, I don't want to lost my $400 CPU as well as my $225 motherboard.  

well at least YOU turned your system off to investigate.  I feel like the chances of saving your hardware are pretty good if everything was running and working when your shut it down to investigate. cleaning it off with the highest % rubbing alcohol you can find should clean it off, and hopefully the liquid hasn't been there long enough to cause any corrosion issues.  

edit: obviously let it dry for 1-2 days after cleaning it

is this an issue that all supremacy MX owners are facing?  I've got a MX in my pc right now (from a L120 R2.0 kit, bought from performance-pcs.com) and I'm getting a little nervous to be honest.  I've got another CPU block on hand if it would be wise to get a new o-ring for the MX.  

The original E-mail I got from EKWB stated that it only affected units manufactured after Nov. 1st.  So as long as your MX block was made/assembled before then, I'm guessing it's unaffected by the o-ring issue.  

attachicon.gif12311263_938154499608078_5939510834028734365_n.jpg

I don't think any physical damage was done to the graphics card, like I said, the system never shorted out or anything and it was running WHILE the CPU block was leaking.  I cleaned off as much of the spilled coolant as I could see from the graphics card using 99% alcohol, and currently letting it sit out to dry.  The problem with the graphics card is that it has a water block on it, pre-filled with the QDC connectors, so I can't just throw it in another system and check to see if it's okay.  I have to wait for a replacement Predator 360 to show up before I can find out if my graphics card that I've got $900 invested in is now a paper-weight...

As for the motherboard, I'm still trying to get all the spilled coolant off of it, it seeped underneath where the onboard battery is, and I can't seem to get it all out, every time I try spraying it with compressed air, more and more coolant comes out.  Honestly, as of right now I've all but written the motherboard off as dead.  I don't feel comfortable putting my 5820k back into that socket and even trying to let it post.  I mean, maybe it's okay, but if something does short-circuit, I don't want to lost my $400 CPU as well as my $225 motherboard.  

For the motherboard it didn't look like very much fluid got on it but if you want to be 100% sure before putting your hardware in it, after cleaning as much as you can physically you can soak/bath the entire motherboard in 99% isopropyl alcohol to displace of any fluid and dissolve any else that may still be there.

When did you bought your kit?

When did you bought your kit?

September 1st of this year

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

September 1st of this year

Think I seen somewhere that it refers to blocks made after November 1.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

I was going to get one of these for my gf as a surprise gift but I think I'll just go custom loop. Very disappointing indeed.

I hope your parts are ok, I really wish AIO or CLC kits had warranty on parts if they leak and damage them as they're obviously not fit for purpose if they leak...

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

I just discovered that my Predator 360 has also started to leak at the block.

I purchased it at Microcenter, and I will be returning it tomorrow or Monday.

I was going to get one of these for my gf as a surprise gift but I think I'll just go custom loop. Very disappointing indeed.

I hope your parts are ok, I really wish AIO or CLC kits had warranty on parts if they leak and damage them as they're obviously not fit for purpose if they leak...

Check out Corsair. I had my H100i leak and they replaced my H100i and my parts that were affected (CPU, GPU, PSU & Mobo) all for free and within 2 weeks.

Yea there are like 5 too many reports of leaks for me to buy the Predator 360.

Sorry about that :(

MC will issue the RMA no problems

Sorry about that :(

MC will issue the RMA no problems

Has the issues been fixed now? are we safe to buy? 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Has the issues been fixed now? are we safe to buy? 

It should but it looks like some of our resellers didn't read the memo and still sell units that are prone to leak.  If you're buying it from our webshop directly then yes it will be fine since obviously the units we have in our stock have been fixed.

It should but it looks like some of our resellers didn't read the memo and still sell units that are prone to leak.  If you're buying it from our webshop directly then yes it will be fine since obviously the units we have in our stock have been fixed.

Slightly on a tangent - Would the Predator work mounted in the front of a case or in the bottom of the case? I don't want it above the motherboard in the "default" location. I also think that if the leak were to come from somewhere other than the CPU block, at least it'd be out the way to not screw up anything valuable in my system.

Slightly on a tangent - Would the Predator work mounted in the front of a case or in the bottom of the case? I don't want it above the motherboard in the "default" location. I also think that if the leak were to come from somewhere other than the CPU block, at least it'd be out the way to not screw up anything valuable in my system.

Not in the bottom but in the front (ports up or down) it will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gif12311263_938154499608078_5939510834028734365_n.jpg

so... any luck?