Job at Intel/AMD

Clanscorpia

I've always known I've wanted a job in computers but at first I didn't know what in but I think I finally figured it out, I'd like to become a microprocessor engineer at Intel or AMD. I'm planning on going to the University of Waterloo in Canada (America is expensive AF) but I'm not sure what courses to take. I'm less than 16 but I think when you start early you have a better chance of success. What do you guys think I need to learn and take to land one of these jobs and what can I do to prepare? Thanks guys

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Probably a carrer on engineering electronics, programing or software try to search on their website, generally companys say what they are looking for

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

That field is already super over saturated, with lots of enthusiastic 20 year olds wanting jobs at Intel/AMD.

It'll be super hard, and you might not even land a job at either. But, if you really want it, and do what's necessary to get it.. Somebody's gotta hire you.

I used to be quite active here.

Thats what I mean, what can I take to get the best chance of getting in? I don't want to get in to say I am, this is my dream job.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

TBH, AMD really can't afford anyone else, and you'd need a lot of experience (aka years) before Intel would consider you for a position.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

i would say wait till high school to make a final decision on where your going to collage and what your going to do. but it never hurts to study up on a subject that you enjoy.some of the more in depth things could be a bit over your head (i dont know you so i may be wrong). i would say the job your looking at would be computer hardware engineer there are a lot of sites that will tell you what you need to study to become what ever job your looking for.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

I'm planning on going to Waterloo as it is the best engineering school in Canada, I wouldn't mind University of Toronto but I'd prefer Waterloo.

Spoiler

AXIOM

TBH, AMD really can't afford anyone else, and you'd need a lot of experience (aka years) before Intel would consider you for a position.

he is 12 a lot can change in a decade 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

12 is awfully early to decide what you'll be. Your 'dream job' or planned major will likely change several times, especially once you reach high school or college. I went from wanting to be a biomedical engineer to robotics engineer to computer hardware engineer to, currently, computer system analyst. Keep your mind open to other career fields that may interest you.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

he is 12 a lot can change in a decade 

Only if Zen beats Haswell in all areas at a lower price point....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Willing to bet lots that what you wanna do and where you wanna go in life will change drastically in the coming years... Youre only 12, not saying its a bad thing, but youre not even in high school yet.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Ask a course adviser at the university/college/high school

They should be able to help you plan your career aspirations! 

Willing to bet lots that what you wanna do and where you wanna go in life will change drastically in the coming years... Youre only 12, not saying its a bad thing, but youre not even in high school yet.

Pretty much this. And you may be able to have a good opportunity to get hands-on with what you want to do for a career and realize you actually don't want to do it. That's what happened to me: I joined my school's robotics team and when it got to the part where we built robots, I realized it was way too much work for me and I didn't have the creative mind to build a robot myself. Instead I learned how to code the robot and left the building to the people who were more creative than I.

I also decided against engineering when I saw how much math I'd need for some of the disciplines. I happen to hate math and pretty much cheated my way through all the math parts of my classwork.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

One thing to remember is that school doesn't prepare you to be good at a job, it just prepares you to learn once you get a job - most of your actual training is done in a live environment, where you start at the bottom and gradually work your way up, depending on how good you are. The best advice you'll get, is to find someone either local or online you can talk to (i.e. twitter or something) that already has the job you want, and tell them you want to do what they do, be enthusiastic and don't take no for an answer - its not just what you know, but who you know that will get you in the door. What you do once you are in the door is on you.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I've always known I've wanted a job in computers but at first I didn't know what in but I think I finally figured it out, I'd like to become a microprocessor engineer at Intel or AMD. I'm planning on going to the University of Waterloo in Canada (America is expensive AF) but I'm not sure what courses to take. I'm less than 16 but I think when you start early you have a better chance of success. What do you guys think I need to learn and take to land one of these jobs and what can I do to prepare? Thanks guys

your best bet would be to look for a computer science course that is heavily based on physics and maths with an internship.....

oh and as for working at intel mehh idk from what ive heard from their employees at their facility in dublin the pay and hours arent that good  

I may consider working at AMD once I receive my computer engineering degree. I am more interested in developing apps for android and IOS though. 

Internship is always the key. They are essential for networking which in turn is essential for landing ion a job. I don't have much experience myself. Currently just a high school senior atm. I know this much at least.

For High School courses, take as many of the advanced math courses your school offers as you can squeeze in - stuff like Calculus, statistics, etc.

Also take Physics, grade's 11 and 12, University Level.

Furthermore, take Computer Science every year of high school that is offered (Most schools generally offer grade 10 to 12, some offer 9 to 12).

If your school has any electronics, electrical electronics, or engineering courses, take those too.

As for University itself, you should be taking the Computer Engineering program to start:

https://uwaterloo.ca/find-out-more/programs/computer-engineering

You may also consider doing a bachelors in Computer Science first, but that would only be if you are really dedicated to taking university.

After completing the Bachelors in Computer Engineering, you can start searching for job prospects immediately, but if you really want to "one-up" the other entry-level candidates, you could consider getting a Masters Degree in Computer Engineering.

When it comes to what the companies like Intel and AMD actually want, job experience is obviously the highest on the list. They often hire recent grads for entry-level positions, but it'll be extremely competitive. Having a higher degree of education, or having that extra couple years of in field engineering experience can make the difference.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Are you officially the youngest forumer?

That being said, I don't know what to say for your case.

I'm 11

College majors for a career like that are going to mostly be Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering. What you do in high school isn't really going to make a difference unless you don't get the grades to get into the university you want. The job market for engineering isn't saturated. If you go to a school with an accredited engineering program and graduate with reasonable grades, you won't have too much trouble finding a job. Starting salary is between $50k-70k USD with decently high earning potential.

Source: I'm an engineer who graduated about 1-1/2 years ago; had no issue finding a job.

After taxes, wage is down to just 30k+. *sigh*

You would be surprised how much $30,000 *net* income actually is for a single person (depending on where you live of course).

You're 12. You still have at least 3-4 more years before you need to start thinking about your career. Enjoy your early years while you have them

You would be surprised how much $30,000 *net* income actually is for a single person (depending on where you live of course).

I live in NYC, and a store manager earns more than that here. You have no idea of the cost of living in the city.

For High School courses, take as many of the advanced math courses your school offers as you can squeeze in - stuff like Calculus, statistics, etc.

Also take Physics, grade's 11 and 12, University Level.

Furthermore, take Computer Science every year of high school that is offered (Most schools generally offer grade 10 to 12, some offer 9 to 12).

If your school has any electronics, electrical electronics, or engineering courses, take those too.

As for University itself, you should be taking the Computer Engineering program to start:

https://uwaterloo.ca/find-out-more/programs/computer-engineering

You may also consider doing a bachelors in Computer Science first, but that would only be if you are really dedicated to taking university.

After completing the Bachelors in Computer Engineering, you can start searching for job prospects immediately, but if you really want to "one-up" the other entry-level candidates, you could consider getting a Masters Degree in Computer Engineering.

When it comes to what the companies like Intel and AMD actually want, job experience is obviously the highest on the list. They often hire recent grads for entry-level positions, but it'll be extremely competitive. Having a higher degree of education, or having that extra couple years of in field engineering experience can make the difference.

This is good information as well. Would have been really sweet if my high school had offered any sort of computer science type stuff. Would have taken it in a heart beat. I did take about 30 college credits in high school and transfer them when I went to college though.

One of the best ways to get in field engineering experience is either multiple internships (engineering internships are paid ~$16-$22 per hour btw), or what I did was work for a company for an entire semester as a co-op.