Windows 10 being offered to me for free from Microsoft, should I do it?

vSyNd1c4t3

Hey guys, I recently had to reinstall windows on my desktop, I've had windows 7 Ultimate for a long while now, but today I noticed windows is giving me the option to upgrade to windows 10 for free.

Should I do it?

Pros/Cons?

Does it keep all of my current programs and drivers I have installed, or do I have to reinstall all of them?

WPDPnxb.png

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

Yes, all Windows 10 compatible programs will be left alone. Some may be uninstalled but your personal files wont be affected.

--- Just make sure not to use the default settings to disable some stuff you dont want, other than that the rest of the information Windows collects about your PC is for diagnostic reasons only. The only time it will take personal information is if it asks you OR you start using Cortana. Dont go running any silly "privacy programs" to disable random bits of registry. ---

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

press view report

I would do it

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I havent had any issues on all my pc's and installing it on my friends pc. WIn 10 is great!

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Do it, I didn't mind 8.1 to be honest. 10 is massive improvement on 8 and if you're a gamer, Direct X 12 is exclusive to win 10

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Well, although this is jumping to conclusions, nobody legitimately paid for an Ultimate copy of Windows so I would assume its pirated, meaning that an upgrade will give you a legitimate copy, but let's brush past that because I'm not going to make assumptions.

Pros: support for longer than 7 will have it

Stuff to take advantage of modern hardware that 7 might not be able to

It's free until July so think on your feet

Probably some other reasons. Task Manager comes to mind.

Cons: it basically watches you shower so there's that

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

The way I see it, if you disable desktop composition often, don't do it. If you don't, just do it.

I'd stay with Windows 7 and just get a theme on the puppy to look so smexy. Tho , if you start download , youll get a free cookie from Microsoft.

Spoiler

System

• CPU
    i7-3960x
  • Motherboard
    generic x79
  • RAM
    ballistic ddr3 8gb @ 1600mhz
  • GPU
    sapphire r7 250 2 gb gddr3
  • Case
    Lepra, Some LED Fans and a glass window
  • Storage
    1 500gb wd blue hdd
  • 1 1tb toshiba hdd
    1 320gb wd blue
  • PSU
    seagate 400w 
  • Display(s)
    element tv, HNC 720p monitor 
  • Cooling
    2 LED fans 1 Fans
  • Keyboard
    LED vander life keyboard
  • Mouse
    LED vander life mouse
  • Sound
    RIG ps4 headset
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 , soon 10.13 hackintosh

If you wanna play DX12 games you kinda have to.  The only cons are certain driver supports+random crashing.

OMG, the random crashing is real. My computer will just randomly reboot itself and there is never any kind of error message or anything. Thankfully I've only had one BSOD, and that was a couple days after I upgraded, before I was able to make sure all my drivers were updated.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Your files won't be affected and personally i've begun to adapt to the Windows 10 layout and it's very...visually pleasing! And from my experience it's a very performance-based OS. So I recommend you go for it! and as others mentioned DirectX 12 will be available to you when you do.

If there is for any kind of reason that you want to downgrade I believe it keeps your old OS in a folder called Windows.old, however I think that maybe just drivers and stuff? I'm not positive on that one. Someone can quote me on that one!

Student Life Build Yo: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i5-3350p, ASRock H61M-VG4, Sapphire Nitro R9 380x

12GB DDR3-1333, Corsair CX600, SanDisk 120GB SSD, Asus Xonar DGX, Corsair 200R, Headphones: Takstar HI 2050.

~First PC Build!~

Windows 10 has not once crashed on me even since day one that i got into the beta program, so i dont know anything about that. but i enjoy it way better than windows 7 and if anything you can always restore your pc back to windows 7 if you keep the windows.old folder left on your hdd.

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

Well, although this is jumping to conclusions, nobody legitimately paid for an Ultimate copy of Windows so I would assume its pirated, meaning that an upgrade will give you a legitimate copy, but let's brush past that because I'm not going to make assumptions.

Why can't he just get Windows 2000. Graphics on that is better than anything, Get some DOOM play and enjoy the monsters :)

Spoiler

System

• CPU
    i7-3960x
  • Motherboard
    generic x79
  • RAM
    ballistic ddr3 8gb @ 1600mhz
  • GPU
    sapphire r7 250 2 gb gddr3
  • Case
    Lepra, Some LED Fans and a glass window
  • Storage
    1 500gb wd blue hdd
  • 1 1tb toshiba hdd
    1 320gb wd blue
  • PSU
    seagate 400w 
  • Display(s)
    element tv, HNC 720p monitor 
  • Cooling
    2 LED fans 1 Fans
  • Keyboard
    LED vander life keyboard
  • Mouse
    LED vander life mouse
  • Sound
    RIG ps4 headset
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 , soon 10.13 hackintosh

Hey guys, I recently had to reinstall windows on my desktop, I've had windows 7 Ultimate for a long while now, but today I noticed windows is giving me the option to upgrade to windows 10 for free.

Should I do it?

Pros/Cons?

Does it keep all of my current programs and drivers I have installed, or do I have to reinstall all of them?

WPDPnxb.png

JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

If you wanna play DX12 games you kinda have to.  The only cons are certain driver supports+random crashing.

kk, so I may have to get some different drivers installed. good to know.

Yes, all Windows 10 compatible programs will be left alone. Some may be uninstalled but your personal files wont be affected.

This was my biggest concern, will the programs stay and not be effected.

press view report

I would do it

Oh nice, yea it told me that all my apps are supported.

I havent had any issues on all my pc's and installing it on my friends pc. WIn 10 is great!

Sounds good, sounds good.

Do it, I didn't mind 8.1 to be honest. 10 is massive improvement on 8 and if you're a gamer, Direct X 12 is exclusive to win 10

Direct X 12 support will be nice, so that's a big reason to do it.

Mmhmm, I heard on Tek Syndicate, that they watch you like a hawk. I mean, I'm not doing anything crazy, but still...

The way I see it, if you disable desktop composition often, don't do it. If you don't, just do it.

:D

OMG, the random crashing is real. My computer will just randomly reboot itself and there is never any kind of error message or anything. Thankfully I've only had one BSOD, and that was a couple days after I upgraded, before I was able to make sure all my drivers were updated.

Sounds like I will have to make sure some drivers are updated. Probably not that big of a deal.

Your files won't be affected and personally i've begun to adapt to the Windows 10 layout and it's very...visually pleasing! And from my experience it's a very performance-based OS. So I recommend you go for it! and as others mentioned DirectX 12 will be available to you when you do.

If there is for any kind of reason that you want to downgrade I believe it keeps your old OS in a folder called Windows.old, however I think that maybe just drivers and stuff? I'm not positive on that one. Someone can quote me on that one!

Yea, I'd probably delete that windows.old to save space on my SSD.

Windows 10 has not once crashed on me even since day one that i got into the beta program, so i dont know anything about that. but i enjoy it way better than windows 7 and if anything you can always restore your pc back to windows 7 if you keep the windows.old folder left on your hdd.

Yea, heard the restore process is easy. hmm.

---------------------

Well guys I'm gonna go for it, thanks for the responses, it really helped my decision. :)

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

I would get Win10, unless you have issues with its "spying"

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

I would get Win10, unless you have issues with its "spying"

I was initially against it because of the lack of privacy, but then I remembered that the government lost all my personal information (like, pretty much every detail about me ever) to hackers back in Sept, so some assholes out in the world already have more information about me than MS could ever collect, so I thought, "Meh, what the hell, let's upgrade...."

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

I get it every once in awhile, and at first I thought it was my OC.  Turned off the OC, and still the same thing.  Read the crash report, and it wasn't even related to an OC.

Where are you pulling crash reports from? Because I can't seem to find any, and I want to know why computer is randomly restarting.

END OF LINE

Right click on the window icon then click on control panel.  From there go into admin tools, and then go into component services.  Under event viewer go to windows logs, and under that, if you click the arrow thing next to it there will be stuff like application, security, system, and other logs.  Check your system and app logs.

Thanks. :)  I'll have to try it the next time it reboots itself.

END OF LINE