"Mechanical keyboards are dumb and over-priced"

MoonKnightSpidey

for gaming, the difference probably is negligable between membrane and mechanical. however, for typing, its a whole different story.  i have a shitty old membrane keyboard that i have to use at work, and its dreadful. i go home and use my mechanical one, completely different. my typing speed goes up, and my accuracy is better as well.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

In a way he is right, there's nothing you can do with a mech keyboard that you can't with a cheap membrane - so the price to performance is pretty much all in favour of the latter. From a purely functional perspective, mech keyboards ARE a waste of money. However the extra comfort and durability make them arguably worth it. it depends on who you're talking to. People who spend a LOT of time typing and generally using the keyboard will appreciate the better feeling and the fact that they will probably last for decades.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's all user choice, I got my G710 for 40 dollars as that was a too good of a deal to pass for a mechanical keyboard. Feels way better than my membrane.

In my opinion mechanicals are nicer than membrane, but not by much and I'm not convinced they're worth the price premium having bought one. I could go either way to be honest. But a good gaming mouse is essential, I would never, ever, skimp on the mouse to get a better keyboard.

Well I have owned a Logitech g15 v2 for 8 years and its still working flawlessly. I can't really say I PREFER it over a mechanical keyboard because i've never used one. Although i've always used a high end gaming mouse and have used $10-$40 mice before and they are really frustrating to use. Combine a crappy mouse and a crappy mouse pad and I want to rip my hair out

i have been using membrane keyboards from 2004(my first pc) and just recently updated to a  mechanical (strafe)

i like the way it feels and i kinda write more comfortably. before that i was not into that, and i was judging a friend of mine for getting one(k95).

i had to recall, after learning out by experience that there is difference when typing, compared to my old keyboards.

even some friends of mine, after messing around with my keyboard, said that they would like to update in the near future to mechanical one, just for the typing experience.

The site has changed....

IMO mechanical keyboard is to prevent from bottom out like a membrane. This is why they have that tactile bump or tactile click, so when your finger is pressing down on that key, the moment you felt that bump, you release it. Mechanical linear key don't have that so, a lot will still bottom out like a membrane, that is unless you type extremely light.

Linear = great for button mashing, like when playing Tomb Raider.

Tactile = great for typing

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

actually, i'm very satisfied with my mechanical keyboard. i wouldn't trade it for a mechanical one tbh

Huh?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I love my lenovo keyboard. Its a membrane with nice resistance, and the bloody spacebar gets engaged without having my thumb hit the frame. Regardless, i got me a basic cherry mechanical keyboard, brown switches. I can appreciate the feedback browns and blacks give me, but its hard to complain about my lenovos since i didnt pay for them, being office surplus. In fact, while there was an improvement in feedback, i do not really see the price premium mechanicals over a good membrane keyboard as a good idea. If you have been using a crap chicklet keyboard like a mac keyboard, then using a mechanical keyboard would seem to be awesome, but do not discount how good a decent membrane keyboard can be.

In a way he is right, there's nothing you can do with a mech keyboard that you can't with a cheap membrane - so the price to performance is pretty much all in favour of the latter. From a purely functional perspective, mech keyboards ARE a waste of money. However the extra comfort and durability make them arguably worth it. it depends on who you're talking to. People who spend a LOT of time typing and generally using the keyboard will appreciate the better feeling and the fact that they will probably last for decades.

Well, he was mostly talking about gaming keyboards in general. When I said "What about macro keys?" He said, "So?"

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

well tbh as far as value for money is concerned they aren't all that crash hot compared to membranes that can be picked up for like a 10er.

Just letting you know, it is spelt 'tenner'. *sips tea politely*

Gaming/Editing Rig: CPU - i7 4790K|GPU - GTX 970 SSC|RAM - 16GB HyperX Fury|MOBO - Z97S SLI KRAIT|HDD - 1TB Western Digital|SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB|PSU - SuperNOVA G2 650W

Check out my YouTube channel and maybe subscribe if you get the time? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTkGuHFjcWH73lT8RqLK9TA

Check out my digital store for cool products! https://sellfy.com/Zolias

i was like that at one time. Now i have 3 mechanical keyboards and multiple gaming mice. the ones i opt to use? the exact two you want :D those two are my daily use, sometimes i use my naga for mmo gaming though

IMO mechanical keyboard is to prevent from bottom out like a membrane. This is why they have that tactile bump or tactile click, so when your finger is pressing down on that key, the moment you felt that bump, you release it. Mechanical linear key don't have that so, a lot will still bottom out like a membrane, that is unless you type extremely light.

Linear = great for button mashing, like when playing Tomb Raider.

Tactile = great for typing

Really? I just mash my MX Blues.  :D 

I do kind of wish I had gone for MX Greens, I can't really feel the bump after a while.

I also love my blue for gaming.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

With the mentality of this forum of always being price/statistical figures then he's right.

However, if you're like me and some other than you'll gladly pay a premium for a better experience. In this example, a mechanical keyboard.

i was like that at one time. Now i have 3 mechanical keyboards and multiple gaming mice. the ones i opt to use? the exact two you want :D those two are my daily use, sometimes i use my naga for mmo gaming though

I am selling my PS3. Will probably buy those two with my Casharoons

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

Just letting you know, it is spelt 'tenner'. *sips tea politely*

Either is acceptable in my opinion. *Spreads jam on scone*

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

I am selling my PS3. Will probably buy those two with my Casharoons

nice choice, the G710 was my first mech keyboard. now i have a blackwidow ultimate and a vengeance K70 as well

Oh god, that amazon basics mouse has like, rubber mouse buttons. And it's so light and you always accidentally click just when resting your hand on it.

Oh god, that amazon basics mouse has like, rubber mouse buttons. And it's so light and you always accidentally click just when resting your hand on it.

I am glad to have stolen your post-genity

Well, he was mostly talking about gaming keyboards in general. When I said "What about macro keys?" He said, "So?"

Indeed, so? Macros are pretty much cheats. On top of that there are plenty of membrane keyboards that have macro keys. If that was the only reason to buy a mechanical keyboard, they wouldn't sell that many. Despite what others might say, the in game advantage is really minimal - if you're good or bad at a game you will be regardless of what keyboard you use (provided it works). It really is just a matter of comfort and durability.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Light mice isn't always a bad thing. I love that my Final Mouse is really light. I just realised you meant the click was light, not the mouse itself.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Well I have owned a Logitech g15 v2 for 8 years and its still working flawlessly. I can't really say I PREFER it over a mechanical keyboard because i've never used one. Although i've always used a high end gaming mouse and have used $10-$40 mice before and they are really frustrating to use. Combine a crappy mouse and a crappy mouse pad and I want to rip my hair out

I retired by G13 (which IIRC was the same as the G15 except it was missing the LCD display?) earlier this year, and it must have been a similar age, and it too still worked perfectly. Though I had accidentally snapped one of the feet off it. The membrane keyboard I use at work, some generic HP example, is also rather old and still works perfectly too. I doubt many people actually wear out membrane keyboards, making the mechanicals longer life a bit redundant.

I wouldn't say my Corsair K70 is that much nicer to type on than my old G13, and sod all different in gaming, though it is quite a bit nicer than the cheap membrane at work. Not all membranes are created equal, so the perceived gap between them and mechanicals will vary a lot depending on your membrane experience.