"Mechanical keyboards are dumb and over-priced"

MoonKnightSpidey

actually, i'm very satisfied with my mechanical keyboard. i wouldn't trade it for a mechanical one tbh

Why would you trade in a mechanical keyboard for a mechanical keyboard? I assume you originally meant "Membrane"

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

I retired by G13 (which IIRC was the same as the G15 except it was missing the LCD display?) earlier this year, and it must have been a similar age, and it too still worked perfectly. Though I had accidentally snapped one of the feet off it. The membrane keyboard I use at work, some generic HP example, is also rather old and still works perfectly too. I doubt many people actually wear out membrane keyboards, making the mechanicals longer life a bit redundant.

I wouldn't say my Corsair K70 is that much nicer to type on than my old G13, and sod all different in gaming, though it is quite a bit nicer than the cheap membrane at work. Not all membranes are created equal, so the perceived gap between them and mechanicals will vary a lot depending on your membrane experience.

ugh... you reminded me that i have a broken right foot on my g15 its currently laying flat. I was actually wanting to upgrade to a corsair RGB keyboard but the price of it scares me especially since my g15 is still holding up

If you're on a budget, a mechanical keyboard ain't exactly worth it... They are ridiculously expensive compared to membrane, especially if you want certain features, be ready to shell out more money (media keys, macro keys, wrist/palm rest, etc...) The cheapest mechanical keyboards are still 5 to 10 times more expensive than membrane. Your friend's recommendation is obviously a joke though.

If you got the money, then "why not" right? Especially if you've already tried a mechanical keyboard before and know you'll like it.

Interestingly enough, here's the comparison between the two type of keyboard on NCIX...

Cheapest membrane on NCIX, for 9$ CAD:
http://www.ncix.com/detail/solidtek-kb-270arp-wired-keyboard-white-e3-75626-1374.htm

http://www.ncix.com/detail/logitech-k120-keyboard-spill-resistant-c8-54063-1210.htm

Cheapest mechanical on NCIX, for $90 CAD:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/mad-catz-s-t-r-i-k-e-te-tournament-edition-4e-105515-1210.htm
And even there, it's on sale from $150

I know NCIX doesn't always have the best price/selection, but that's still saying a lot. Some of us are perfectly happy spending like $50 to get a top of the line membrane keyboard with all the bell and whistle that you would need to pay like $200 to get on a mechanical keyboard... But like I said before, if you got the money, sure why not. It's your money after all and if I could afford to shell out like $130 for a keyboard (that's how expensive the G710+ is in Canada), I'd probably buy it too.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

ugh... you reminded me that i have a broken right foot on my g15 its currently laying flat. I was actually wanting to upgrade to a corsair RGB keyboard but the price of it scares me especially since my g15 is still holding up

I propped mine up with an ibuprofen box, ghetto chic. You could always track down a second hand G15 and cannibalise it for parts if you really want to keep it, or Logitech might be able to supply a new foot for a reasonable price? I only replaced mine as my rig was rather old and I needed to replace almost everything, so went the whole hog and replaced absolutely everything. I even bought myself a new desk to put it on. Unless you really want a new keyboard I'd stick with the G15 for now.

I propped mine up with an ibuprofen box, ghetto chic. You could always track down a second hand G15 and cannibalise it for parts if you really want to keep it, or Logitech might be able to supply a new foot for a reasonable price? I only replaced mine as my rig was rather old and I needed to replace almost everything, so went the whole hog and replaced absolutely everything. I even bought myself a new desk to put it on. Unless you really want a new keyboard I'd stick with the G15 for now.

I've gotten used to it lying flat which is why i forgot about the foot lol.

im currently in the process of building a new pc so it would be nice to start with a fresh keyboard also but probably down the road after everything is completed. Im leaning towards this keyboard though

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816058&cm_re=corsair_rgb_keyboard-_-23-816-058-_-Product

Either is acceptable in my opinion. *Spreads jam on scone*

Fair point. *Butters crumpet*

Gaming/Editing Rig: CPU - i7 4790K|GPU - GTX 970 SSC|RAM - 16GB HyperX Fury|MOBO - Z97S SLI KRAIT|HDD - 1TB Western Digital|SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB|PSU - SuperNOVA G2 650W

Check out my YouTube channel and maybe subscribe if you get the time? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTkGuHFjcWH73lT8RqLK9TA

Check out my digital store for cool products! https://sellfy.com/Zolias

Mechanical keyboards are a luxury and aren't really needed. If you spend a lot of time on your computer you should get one as it feels way better than a regular keyboard. Also, it lasts longer. I currently have the G710+ and there's no way in hell that I'm going back to standard keyboards after using it.

For mice you just want it to have an optical sensor and be fully accurate. More buttons to assign macros to are nice as well. I have a G400S and I use my DPI up and down buttons to switch tabs while I'm browsing the web. Very convenient.

For mouse pads just get a cloth one that's big enough for your use. Find a thick one if you can so it can double as a wrist rest. You can get a wristband if you don't have a thick mouse pad.

I've gotten used to it lying flat which is why i forgot about the foot lol.

im currently in the process of building a new pc so it would be nice to start with a fresh keyboard also but probably down the road after everything is completed. Im leaning towards this keyboard though

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816058&cm_re=corsair_rgb_keyboard-_-23-816-058-_-Product

That the one I have, albeit with browns not reds. It's good keyboard, I like mine a lot. The software works properly now too, which is nice, it is also very easy to keep clean. I'm not saying it's good value, but if you want to indulge yourself though, go for it.

Moved to Peripherals. Please ensure you post in the correct sub-forum next time. Cheers

This was more of a story about what someone said. The subject was what they said, not the keyboards. But oh well. No since in arguing with a mod

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

This was more of a story about what someone said. The subject was what they said, not the keyboards. But oh well. No since in arguing with a mod

It doesn't really matter about why you're discussing it; more about what you are discussing. As you are discussing keyboards, it belongs in the peripherals section. Is that fair? 

I own a corsair k70 rgb and I must say I will never go back to membrane I just like the sound of the keyboard, but its all about personal taste!