New phone user: #HALP

Kylie

Holy animal Lifesaver PLEASE - HALP

Anyways. Getting my first phone ever as a Christmas present. An HTC Desire 816 8GB model from Virgin mobile. 

Totally new to phones I've always been a console and PC person so uh, yeah. Apps, mods, tweaks, Re-skins Anything and everything useful please let me know :D 

So far the only thing I know is to get an SD card and Swiftkey. I've got an 16GB Samsung Micro SD I can use. 

i dont remember if the Sense launcher was crap or not.. either way, if you want more of a stock android experience, check out CyanogenMod.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

For first go with whatever is the best bet you can take,as this is the time you will be probably creating your preferences

Anything chinese tends to have horrible skins on them (Which I don't personally like),so go with whatever floats your boat,try using siblings/friends phones 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

i dont remember if the Sense launcher was crap or not.. either way, if you want more of a stock android experience, check out CyanogenMod.

Okay found it..But.. No clue how to install this ...

on google play you install the launcher and you open the app and it says something like "blah blah if this breaks your device don't sue us" click accept and your device should reset and your wala you are good. 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

before you dive headfirst into the world of rooting, custom ROM's and kernels, i suggest you try out the stock HTC Sense experience first! why change something up if you like how it works?

if you really want to switch to something else tough, you should prepare to learn quite a bit on how to make your HTC device S-OFF and install a custom recovery. when you are certain you want to do this, you can always contact me or anybody over at the xda forums!

follow this guide very closely

https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_a5

EDIT:  @RollinLower is right though, give the phone a chance before changing too much. rooting and changing out the rom is pretty major, and not always for the lighthearted. you risk bricking your phone

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

on google play you install the launcher and you open the app and it says something like "blah blah if this breaks your device don't sue us" click accept and your device should reset and your wala you are good. 

that's not how you flash a ROM.

I believe there's a CyanogenMod app that is required with use of their windows based installer which is what he seems to be referring to.

I believe there's a CyanogenMod app that is required with use of their windows based installer which is what he seems to be referring to.

aah, that makes sense.

still tough, it doesn't make sense for people to start telling this guy that he needs to flash CM. this is his first phone, maybe he needs to see if he likes it stock first before making changes to the firmware?

aah, that makes sense.

still tough, it doesn't make sense for people to start telling this guy that he needs to flash CM. this is his first phone, maybe he needs to see if he likes iot stock first before making changes to the firmware?

No definitely not. Might as well use the thing first.

there is an app, however i think you need root for it to actually work, you also have to pair it with a windows program, and ive personally never actually seen it work properly. it almost bricked my phone when i tried it.(S4)

and yea flashing a rom on his first phone may be excessive, but he did ask about mods and tweaks lol   i do highly suggest getting Root, and a custom recovery though. itll give him access to a lot more modding tools than he would normally have

|Specs in profile|

follow this guide very closely

https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_a5

EDIT:  @RollinLower is right though, give the phone a chance before changing too much. rooting and changing out the rom is pretty major, and not always for the lighthearted. you risk bricking your phone

Thank you for this.

before you dive headfirst into the world of rooting, custom ROM's and kernels, i suggest you try out the stock HTC Sense experience first! why change something up if you like how it works?

if you really want to switch to something else tough, you should prepare to learn quite a bit on how to make your HTC device S-OFF and install a custom recovery. when you are certain you want to do this, you can always contact me or anybody over at the xda forums!

I will try it out for awhile and if I find it to be annoying then I'll follow this guide and use Cyanogen mod :D

What about apps though? anything specific or useful? Calendar? Calculator? Daily use tools and utilities?

What about apps though? anything specific or useful? Calendar? Calculator? Daily use tools and utilities?

Memory Map is incredibly useful, and i highly recommend getting it. you probably wont need it now, but eventually you're gonna run out of storage space and you wont know why.  Memory Map shows you visually whats taking up space. its awesome.

Waze is the goto for gps apps. dont use anything else. it shows you where the traffic is, and can give you the option to change your route to a faster one on the fly.  not to mention its also user generated, so other users will show you whats causing the slowdown, whether its an accident, construction, or people just slowing down cuz theres a cop hiding behind a bush.

|Specs in profile|

A little reminder about custom ROMs & stuff for you: Installing custom ROMs is voiding your warranty, so it would be nice if you would have a backup of the stock ROM on your phone just in case [emoji4]

Well the phone is going to be here Monday and I've already seen some reviews etc, Seems like a nice phone but the UI.... I'll likely replace with CM .. I just hope it's 4.4.4 I wasn't fond of the lolipop update on my tablet It ruined speed and performance. 

Though now seems to be a new issue, I need a phone case and I have no clue what would be good and amazon doesn't have anything visually appealing that I liked really except for one with horrible reviews and no black aluminum version. 

Actually Sense (the UI) combined with Lollipop is awesome... But nothing beats stock Android tho [emoji4] Currently running CM13 based on Android 6.0.1 on my HTC One M7 [emoji1]

Actually Sense (the UI) combined with Lollipop is awesome... But nothing beats stock Android tho [emoji4] Currently running CM13 based on Android 6.0.1 on my HTC One M7 [emoji1]

lucky im still on CM12.1  on my S4, i wont start getting nightlies for CM13 until next month probably

|Specs in profile|

Have the phone yay! working on installing Cyanogenmod. I hope I get the kitkat skin or marshmallow but I can't tell what version of android the CM rom is. Oh well it'll be better than HTC sense at least...

Have the phone yay! working on installing Cyanogenmod. I hope I get the kitkat skin or marshmallow but I can't tell what version of android the CM rom is. Oh well it'll be better than HTC sense at least...

cm11 is kitkat 4.4

cm12 is Lollipop

cm13 is marshmallow

|Specs in profile|

Okay this cyanogenmod crap is a royal shit to install. Why the hell are all the tutorial videos on Mac? The hell are apple users doing with android? 

I've finally gotten to the point to use the stupid HTC unlock token.bin and it won't for the love of lucifer work. Why?

C:\Users\Kylie>fastboot flash unlock token Unlock_code.bin
error: cannot load 'token'

Fixed. Needed to change the directory of the cmd with 

cd "Destination" 

For me it was cd c:\android-abd

it can be a royal pain to install. its not for the light hearted, but its well worth it in the end.  im so happy to be off touchwiz.   itll also give you the ability to get rid of all those stupid applications you cant normally uninstall.

|Specs in profile|

Happy to see you have the phone [emoji4] I'm soon selling my HTC One M7 to get an Nexus 5... Gonna miss it, especially the Boomsound speakers [emoji14]

Well I got it working thank god.. And wow.. It was worth the trouble.. Though something troubles me. 

My moms HTC gets a 12K score in quadrant. Mine got a 7K score.. Why????