Issues with 5960X and 128GB ram

nickierv

I am trying to get a new build working but need some help with a POST error 60.

To start off, despite the intel page (http://ark.intel.com/products/82930/Intel-Core-i7-5960X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-20M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz?q=5960x) listing 64GB as the max memory size, a quick search for "5960x 128gb ram" quickly turns up results:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2938855/hardcore-hardware-we-stuffed-this-pc-with-128gb-of-cutting-edge-ddr4-ram.html - Jun 23

- More or less the same thing, 5820k - Jun 24
- "The Compensator" Build Log - Jul 31
I'm sure there are more but I have a build to debug, lets move on.

Clearly something is going on, either the spec sheet is out of date/wrong or someone has magic fairy dust that they can sprinkle on there parts that... well magic fairy dust.
I have found mention that DDR4 16GB DIMMs where not 'available', only the 8GB DIMM, when intel was validating the 5960, thus the lower 64GB validation on the spec sheet. With this in mind I decided that 128GB was more appropriate for my build and moved forward.

Parts arrive and get assembled, do a power test, everything looks good so I go to clear the POST and run into POST 60 error (DXE Core is started). After a bit of research the error seems to have something to do with the CPU/RAM. I return to the aforementioned videos of 5960X+128GB builds to see if there is any reference or mention of errors beyond the usual "Oops we seam to have a faulty X". Unfortunately most of the comments on 128GB build videos are either completely irrelevant or outright trolls. Use case for 128GB of RAM doesn’t matter, lets move on.

EVGA 99 Classified mobo  (151-HE-E999-KR)
CORSAIR 128GB (8x16) CMD128GX4M8B2800C14

Spare and duplicate parts:
Spare mobo
Spare CPU
2x GPU (for final build)
Intel 750 1.2 TB SSD (blank)
Random blank HDD
EVGA 1600w PSU

Configurations tested so far:
Full build, everything on the board
Dual GUP, Single GPU (tried both), no GPU

RAM only
Full kit
Odd slots
#1 slot
No slot (POST 53, expected and normal, both boards, both CPU)
No CPU (Error C, expected and normal, both boards)
Except where noted all tests stoped on POST error 60

At this point I have just about out of ideas and running out of time to finish the build. Unless someone has a full solution, I was thinking about a few things that may work
Q: Should a single 16GB DIMM work? If it can clear POST and get to BIOS I should be able to get an update for the full 128GB, if not then I guess I will need a small kit to POST+ update BIOS

Q: Should the 2800 of my RAM make any difference to the 2400 in the "The Compensator" Build Log video? Even if the RAM is running slow(2133?) it's better than not running at all.

Q: Not that I think there is, but is there any way to update the BIOS in its current condition? I have found a few things that suggest that the BIOS may not be able to handle 16GB DIMMs.

I'd take the RAM and try it in different slots, one at a time. Sometimes RAM is weird like that.

EDIT: I was filming a video about RAM yesterday and sometimes certain sticks didn't work in certain slots so I had to change which slot it was in and then it worked.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Why do you need 128gb of ram. And the 5960x can only handle 64gb... if you use a xeon chip then you can get 128 to work on a MB that supports that much.

Why... Why why why why why why why.. What do you need this for. Even Linus and Luke state that specifications like this are insanely stupid.

On topic, what windows are you running.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

you can update the BIOS by USB flashback without anything installed on the motherboard

if you can boot with just 4 or 1 sticks of ram that would be a good start

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Make sure bios is up to date, make sure XMP is set to default.

Why do you need 128gb of ram. And the 5960x can only handle 64gb... if you use a xeon chip then you can get 128 to work on a MB that supports that much.

Yup.

post-168944-0-48781300-1450404005_thumb.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

the latest BIOS i see on EVGA website dont mentioned about support 128GB

Asus is the only board which supports 128GB with a BIOS update

you may have to reduce the RAM size or swap to Asus board

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I'd take the RAM and try it in different slots, one at a time. Sometimes RAM is weird like that.

EDIT: I was filming a video about RAM yesterday and sometimes certain sticks didn't work in certain slots so I had to change which slot it was in and then it worked.

Good idea, tried each stick in slot #1, no change.

the latest BIOS i see on EVGA website dont mentioned about support 128GB

Asus is the only board which supports 128GB with a BIOS update

you may have to reduce the RAM size or swap to Asus board

It should support 128GB out of the box, but I did see support for 2800 in one of the new BIOS updates, will try that next.

The X99-E WS? Not attached to my current board, just need some options.

It should support 128GB out of the box, but I did see support for 2800 in one of the new BIOS updates, will try that next.

ok try the BIOS update and report back

if not that board dont like your RAM

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates? I've been pondering on a 128gb ram setup as well with a 5820k. I'm thinking an entry level workstation. But I guess I can settle with 64gb ECC. I have current stability issues with a 4770k and 32gb corsair ram...I've actually had to undervolt my ram for some reason...

Just stating here, more ram is always nice especially when running Adobe programs for video editing and compositing. Dunno if any of you have used Mocha tracking software but as awesome as that is, it'll eat up ram in no time. When you're planning to build a workstation? Yes, considering more than 64gb of ram makes sense.

Gaming...it doesn't take much ram to game "well" these days. A buddy games comfortably with 16gb of ram with an Oculus Rift.

My motherboard supports 128GB as well, but that is ONLY WITH A XEON. AFAIK, none of the i7 chips will go above 64 due to microcode limiting them.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC