I'm finding the older I get as a gamer, the less I wanna play with other people

Arct1c0n

Maybe it's just a sign of age at now being 35 and have been gaming since the NES days, dial up multilayer and the remake of gaming with home broadband. But maybe it just also comes down to less patience, energy, time and desire to deal with not only people's bullshit, but the fact I find it not longer enjoyable to be continually beaten by better players and no longer have the desire or time to just "get better" with more practice.

Rather, I am finding myself having much more enjoyable gaming COMPLETELY offline with well done, engaging, involving, immersive and sometimes epic single player games like The Last of Us, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Diablo 3, StarCraft 2 campaigns, GTA 5 and more recently, Witcher 3 and Fallout 4.

Games that I can go to any time I want and engage in a fun, enjoyable and satisfying experience with no negative human variables and leave/pause whenever I need or feel like. It's catererd to just me, especially games like Mass Effect and such that I can create and make my own special journey through a fun and non interrupted game world and not having to deal and keep up with dozens of 14 year old sailor cussing and tea bagging hormones filled shit bags of teammates and opponents.

Even coop based online gameplay hardly goes well with me as there is always "SOMEONE" who has to be asshater troller and ruin it for everyone else for whatever reason and because I moved to a new state and city, I still have few new friends who wanna play anything with me. It's all either fucking Call of Duty spasm fest or time and sanity sink League of Legends or DOTA2 which I can't stand gameplay wise. And i've retired from MMO's the past few years now, after 14 years, they are basically the same fucking thing at the core

The awesomeness and specialty of gaming with other people anywhere, anytime just no longer holds its "cool" and "unique" flavor like it did back in the late 90s and early 2000s

Or maybe it's just me.... 

TL;DR Playing with people after nearly 30 years of gaming, especially online is not fun anymore

I have never been a big multi-player fan anyway, in fact in the last year the only games I have played with friends are GTA V doing heists with 3 friends, and BF4 playing with 2 mates in a squad  (oh and fucking around on the forest)

Honestly I play a game to escape, to explore a fantasy land, to experience an amazing story, to have freedom to what I want, to live experiences I cannot have in normal life

Multi-player is a very small % of my gaming time,

Basically, Id rather sit through Mass Effect, than play CS:GO

However - I am not put off because of the players, or trolling, I honestly don't care about that - I just find multi-player games boring, and they are generally repetitive

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

For the most part, i'm in agreement with you. The only games I play in an online setting anymore, are co-op with my friends/family. Some of my most favorite titles of "modern" gaming (post the online era) are single player games.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Well back in CS 1.6 Days i played only shooter all day long and went on LAN Partys 2-3 a Month. But now i almost play only Coop Games with Friends or Games like Diablo Online. After 2h of Battlefield i cant hold my concentration anymore..damn im getting old :P

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

lol I love playing online with other people but I definitely see your point, the interwebs is full of dickwads now

We're all dying slowly

Pentium G3258 3.2 ghz / ECS z97 pk MOBO / Intel Stock Cooler / R9 290 DD / Corsair Carbide Air 240 / 4GB mushkin stealth ram at 1600 / XFX 650W 80+ gold PSU / Kingston v300 240GB drive W/300GB seagate drive / HP x2301 / Gateway KB / Monoprice GM

It seems to really be a matter of preference. I personally LOVE playing with other people. Not for the competition, not for the "getting better"... Its playing with good people. And i feel that playing with the fun and good people in a fun and entertaining outweighs all those times that i get trolled. I simply see it as worth it. But as i said, its a preference.

It looks as if the peasants have risen up, and found swords!

But their sword's look a little short, if you know what I mean!

Good! The squires need training anyway!

Funnily enough, its the other way around for me, where when I was first getting into gaming, because of a slow pc, and bad internet, I would only play single player games like skyrim, or GTA. I appreciated the expansive game worlds, and engaging story line back then, as it was the only thing I could play, however nowadays I just find it a bit boring (I'll hop onto some skyrim purely for nostalgia, but that's about it).

Lately though, I rarely play games by myself. I tend to only play games when my friends are on and down for some battlefront, or killing floor, etc. I find this especially apparent when the internet derps for whatever reason, as I find myself not having anything to do, while if the internet went down back in the day (as it would often do, Indian internet was not the best) I would not be phased in the slightest...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I'm the opposite. I can barely play single-player games anymore, even Skyrim. It feels boring when there is noone to interact with

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

29, nearly 30 here. Same boat. Early to mid 20s was all about online gaming; now I mostly play solo. A big part of the reason being that I rarely am able to set aside a designated amount of time to play games; life has a tendency to interrupt. Playing solo means I can play at my own pace.

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz | GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX 980 Ti | Mobo: ASUS Z87-Pro | Memory: 16gigs HyperX FuryX | Cooling: Xigmatek SD1483 Frostbourne 

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 | PSU: EVGA 750W Gold+ modular | Storage: 128g adata SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD | Monitor: ASUS PA238QR

Recently I've been feeling the exact same. I'm in my mid 20's and I've played many games competitively from 2004 till about 2012. Nowadays I prefer story rich single player games instead.

It's simple, priorities change when you get older. That equates to less patience and not "wanting to deal with idiots/bs" because your time is much more valuable.

Don't feel bad, mate.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Have always played single player, don't want to deal with those online player nonsense. Gaming is way for me to relax, not to have some heated argument over something stupid.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I don't have any friends who are PC gamers, so I don't play on multiplayer at all.....

PC Specs   - Black and White Build

Intel Core i5 4690k MSI Z97S Krait LGA 1150

Crucial Ballistix Sport 1x8GB 1600MHZ

Sapphire Radeon R9 270 (Will be upgrading this soon)

EVGA 500W PSU

Phanteks Enthoo Pro - White

My gaming transition over the years.

0-13 - Single player RPG/FPS since multiplayer didn't really exist outside PC

13-20 - Mainly FPS multiplayer since online console became a thing and I could play with friends long distance

20-Present - Still play online with friends but if no one is around I rather play single play like FO4 or DA:I instead of with annoying randos in a lobby.

I always preferred story over online. Now with all of us being all adult like with jobs and such I'm slowly switching to single player only again.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

I relate to this as well. I'm a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls series, and when Elder Scrolls Online came out, I didn't even care one bit because I saw the word "online" in the title.

-snip-

"they are basically the same fucking thing at the core

The awesomeness and specialty of gaming with other people anywhere, anytime just no longer holds its "cool" and "unique" flavor like it did back in the late 90s and early 2000s

Or maybe it's just me.... "

In my opinion, most of the players online these days are young kids or younger people, at least that's what I came across in my online gaming experiences. So when you get older, you don't relate to that generation anymore, and you just can't be bothered with childish BS. I find gaming to be something I do to relax and just take my mind off of the daily BS. I'm 29 by the way.

Last multiplayer game I was into was versus mode Left 4 Dead on Xbox 360. Back in the original CS 1.6 days I would spend hours a day and was a clan member.. I'm 35 now myself and could care less about multiplayer.

I play games to escape and get engrossed in a story these days, not rack up the most kills in a match. That does nothing for me.

To each his own though, not knocking people that do enjoy the occasional frag fest

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

I've been the feeling that for ages.  I do however still like ME3 MP.  No one talks (or talks shit from a $5 mic), still pretty active and solid gameplay.

It's the opposite for me. I'm in my late 20's at the moment and I can't stand single player games anymore. They just seem so simple and straightforward now and I would rather watch a movie if that's the case. I only ever play competitive multiplayer games and have no problems having fun even if I'm not the best player in the world. I just mute the people I don't want to talk to.

It's the opposite for me. I'm in my late 20's at the moment and I can't stand single player games anymore. They just seem so simple and straightforward now and I would rather watch a movie if that's the case. I only ever play competitive multiplayer games and have no problems having fun even if I'm not the best player in the world. I just mute the people I don't want to talk to.

Maybe you're playing the wrong single player games? Single player shooters will do that :P 

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Maybe you're playing the wrong single player games? Single player shooters will do that :P

I've played a variety of single player games. Maybe the modern casual single player game just isn't what it used to be. I used to like single player games.

For me it depends on the game. I have multiplayer games I play as much for the community as the game itself. I never waste more than a few hours on any game that has a bad community.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I kinda feel the same.

In the past i played WoW a lot and was focused on progression raiding, the guilds that i joined and people i played with were simply a consequence of my progression goals but now i couldn't give a damn about the gear hamster wheel, i made my own small social guild and only invite like minded people who have been through all the phases and are happy to be put out to pasture. 

I see my guild as a retirement village with a pulse, in many ways the people you play with can make or break a game for you personally. :) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Arct1c0n said:

Any others feeling this lately?

In a way, yes. I sitll play both MP and SP but I don't play MP games competitively anymore. I've been playing The Witcher 3, Mirror's Edge, Just Cause 3 and some other SP games lately and I kind of got worse in MP FPS games. I like to think I was pretty good at the MP games that I put in several hundreds of hours into(especially CSGO with 2k hrs) but I'm just not into the whole tryhard, competitive, esports gameplay.

Currently waiting for:

Witcher 3 Blood and Wine DLC(this DLC is gona be amazing if it were to be taken as a game which it very well could be since it's 20 hours long it could win 2016 GOTY not even kidding)

Mirror's Edge Catalyst(wondering how good the open world is gona be, story will be crap I guarantee it)

No Man's Sky(gona try to not hype this up too much, lots of promises and we all know how it goes with that)

Deus Ex Mankind Divided(haven't really played Deus Ex but the games look pretty cool)

Dishonored 2(loved Dishonored, best atmosphere in a game!)

Mass Effect Andromeda(loved Mass Effect 2, couldn't get into 3 so dropped it..)

Wanted Firewatch as well but 20 euros for a 3-6 hr game with nothing to do in it and a story with lots of wasted potential and an anticlimactic ending...nah

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

4 hours ago, Arct1c0n said:

Any others feeling this lately?

I mainly play SP games. I like play at my own pace. Recently my first playthrough of Fallout 4 took over 130 hours. Have no need for being competitive and playing against kids.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.