A stupid question on PSU's

Go to solution Solved by daniellearmouth,

This is gonna sound a bit complicated, so bear with me...

No. Your computer will use as much power on a 500W PSU as it would an 800W PSU, a 1000W PSU or even a 1500W PSU.

There are, however, two things to note.

Firstly, using a power supply whose rated output is significantly greater than that of the computer itself (like, over twice, if not three times as much output as you need), then you will see reduced efficiency.

Secondly, it's always a good idea to get just a bit more than what you need for a power supply. This may sound contradictory to the last point, but it allows for growing room, should you ever want to put more powerful hardware in, and ultimately, it doesn't hurt to have a bit more juice in your PSU than what you need. Though again, three times the juice you need means wasted juice. Insert more juicy analogies here.

Hello, and thanks for reading this already!

I'm no expert on PSU's, nor am I on power consumption. So here comes a very stupid question, but hey, asking never hurt anyone I guess.

If you grab an 800W PSU instead of a 400W PSU in the same identical system, would that mean the system uses more power in the 800W?

Thanks in advance!

(I know it's a stupid question, but I'd rather have the electricity bill to not be... shocking! I'll see myself out)

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

I'm no expert on PSU's, nor am I on power consumption. So here comes a very stupid question, but hey, asking never hurt anyone I guess.

If you grab an 800W PSU instead of a 400W PSU in the same identical system, would that mean the system uses more power in the 800W?

Thanks in advance!

(I know it's a stupid question, but I'd rather have the electricity bill to not be... shocking! I'll see myself out)

no. it depends on the components you use. if its the same components for both power supplies, then they will eat up the same power.

having a 800W power supply just means you have more headroom.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

it means it CAN use more power if it needs it

but if it uses less than 400W then it will use the same power on both (unless the 400W one is lower efficiency or something)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This is gonna sound a bit complicated, so bear with me...

No. Your computer will use as much power on a 500W PSU as it would an 800W PSU, a 1000W PSU or even a 1500W PSU.

There are, however, two things to note.

Firstly, using a power supply whose rated output is significantly greater than that of the computer itself (like, over twice, if not three times as much output as you need), then you will see reduced efficiency.

Secondly, it's always a good idea to get just a bit more than what you need for a power supply. This may sound contradictory to the last point, but it allows for growing room, should you ever want to put more powerful hardware in, and ultimately, it doesn't hurt to have a bit more juice in your PSU than what you need. Though again, three times the juice you need means wasted juice. Insert more juicy analogies here.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Thanks in advance!

It really depends how efficient it is .

For example if both power supplies are at 85% efficiency at that load  , they should use the same amount of power.

However , if the 800w is running at 80% at that specific load and the 400w is running at 88% , you will see a difference in power usage

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

-snip-

Yes and no. You should see very similar power usage. However depending on the exact efficiency curves of each unit you may see a power difference. Most power supplies tend to hit peak efficiency around 50-60% load and have less efficiency at the extremes (1% and 100% usage). So if using 400W on an 800W rated power supply may in some cases use LESS electricity than 400W on a 400W supply. Or the 800W supply may be significantly less efficient across the board say a 400W 80+Gold vs an 800W 80+Bronze. In that case, it is likely the 800W would use slightly more, however the difference at the wall should be minimal ~10%.

Secondly, it's always a good idea to get just a bit more than what you need for a power supply. This may sound contradictory to the last point, but it allows for growing room, should you ever want to put more powerful hardware in, and ultimately, it doesn't hurt to have a bit more juice in your PSU than what you need.

As another point to add, as your computer, or more specifically the capacitors, age, they tend to use slightly more power. Typically it isn't enough that you notice but if you are using 399W on a 400W power supply after a couple years your computer may need 405-410W because of decreased efficiency and that can cause some issues.