Apple Forced to a bad battery case design from "Mophie" case patents.

Ravener

Origional post: http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/8/9872238/is-apples-smart-battery-case-mophie-patents 

It's fair to say that Apple's new iPhone Smart Battery Case is not the most attractive product the company has ever released. Like every other charging case, it adds an extra inch of thickness to the bottom of the phone, making it hard to use headphones (including Apple's own Beats line) and the battery simply sticks out as a rectangular bulge. It's like Apple designed it so intensely they forgot to design it at all.

But there's another element at play here: the biggest name in battery cases is Mophie, and Mophie has tons of patents on the design and functionality of these things. Reading through a few, it's hard not to see Apple's case as being deliberately designed around Mophie's patents — including that unsightly bulge.

mophiepatent-image.0.jpg

Here, for example, is Mophie patent #9,172,070, which was just granted on October 15th. The first claim lays out, well, a Mophie battery case — and any other case that has all of these (paraphrased) elements would infringe on Mophie's patent:

1. A lower case that contains a battery and sides that extend along a mobile device, with internal and external power connectors, and an on / off switch.

2. A removable upper case.

So really any case where a phone slides into the bottom case and there's a cap on top infringes this one. You will note the Apple case is just a single piece, with a top portion that flops back instead of coming off. More elegant, in some ways, but perhaps more importantly, also outside the claims of this patent. (There's also no on / off switch, but really, what Apple product has an on / off switch?)

And that's just one patent. Mophie has an entire suite of patents on this kind of two-part design — here's #8,971,039, which covers a slight variation of a two-piece design in which the top part slides over an extended piece of the bottom part. There's also any number of design patents at play here; virtually every popular Mophie case has a design patent on its ornamental, nonfunctional elements. (For example, newer Mophie cases have a detachable bottom part; the company has design patents on that variation.)

Screen_Shot_2015-12-08_at_2.49.49_PM.0.p

If you look at the rest of the battery cases out there, you'll notice that most companies stay away from Mophie's two-part design: the vast majority of cases use snap-on bezels, while a few use sled designs. The only companies that have a two-part case are outfits so small it's not really worth a big Mophie lawsuit — the company has tons and tons of counterfeiters to worry about first anyway.

SOMETIMES THE SOLUTION LIES FAR IN THE OTHER DIRECTION

The other thing you'll notice is that all those other designs, uh, kinda suck. They're certainly not elegant, and it's hard to imagine Apple going for a plasticky snaps-and-clips solution of keeping things in a case. So the company needed a slide-in design without a removable top, and it couldn't round off the edges of the case without facing at least some chance of running into the various Mophie design patents. How do you solve that? By charging hard in the other direction: making a single-piece case with a floppy top and a bulging battery that has nothing in common with various patented Mophie designs. (Bonus points if you also spotted the lurking trade dress issue: lots of people call these cases "Mophies" regardless of brand, and by creating a totally distinct design, Apple also sidestepped any potential likelihood of confusion with the Mophie products.)

So that's my theory — Apple didn't have a comment when I asked. But it's hard to see how a company as designed-focused as Apple ends up with a battery case this strange without acknowledging that they were late to market, faced a meaningful competitor with a strong patent portfolio, and perhaps just did what it had to do.

Well, fine I guess less blame to Apple, but we can still hate on them for the cons mentioned in unboxtherapy's video 

EDIT:

15236-11393-Case-Comparison-Chart-(JPG)-
Found this chart a couple hours later, here are all the cases that make the smart case completely useless other than the lightning connector and the 'tellsyouhowmuchbatteryyouhaveleft' thing on your iphone

Edited by Godlygamer23

I'm calling so much bullshit on this one.

There are literally hundreds of battery cases on the market. Apple's desire to "stick out" is literally the only reason they came up with a design everyone else already knew was idiotic.

They could have made the exact same fucking case with a better material selection, less dramatic bulge transition etc. 

Poor apple... Can't pay 5 bucks per unit on a 100 dollar product. The margins will be too small.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

That sucks that they had to design around patents, but its not excuse. This is a company that prides itself on innovation. Come on Apple, innovate!

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

This makes much more sense now. There had to be a very good reason for Apple to make such an ugly and unergonomic battery case. Even recently with the 3.5nm headphone blunder, that case was some exceptionally poor design that you would expect out of Apple.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 (3.8GHz, 2C/4T) GPU: AMD R9 380X 4GB

So Apple had a few options here:

1. Make a significantly sub-par product for a top-tier price, with its only advantage being "We haven't allowed 3rd party cases to display their battery level on screen" and rely on the Apple name to sell
  2. Make licensing agreements to either have access to those patents, or lend their name to another company's product(s), at lower profit margin
  3. Do nothing because the market is already oversaturated by many companies with experience in that particular category and existing product lineups, as evidenced by them patenting all the good designs

Also a hypothetical fourth option for "find a design that's actually good and not patented yet", but lets assume that the patents either were truly exhaustive or close enough that finding that design would be cost-prohibitive. 

I don't really have sympathy for Apple because they made something that didn't solve the problem it was made for, when that problem was already solved. Nobody forced them to make a battery case in the first place, and if they couldn't do it competitively then they shouldn't have bothered.

I respect Apple for not blatantly stealing something for once.

Apple apparently cant design, that's why this case is such a disaster, they couldnt steal the design :P

sure, it's bullshit, but it's like 

LEGAL KARMA 

get rekt post-intelligence apple 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I'll just say: excuses to make more Money.

They could have made the Dang phone with a better battery from the beginning.

But Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, thin phone is more Important.

But doesn't having a silicone case with a battery bulge in it defeat the purrpose?

Wow,it's like two drunk guys fighting over an ugly girl.. :D

Details separate people.

They could have had that by default phone exchange design....

:)

At least it's a bit better than carrying around a larger battery pack... I've got a 10k mAh powerbank with me and it is bulky (around the size of a case for eyeglasses)... not to mention the cables that I need to carry with it for it to be usable...

At least it's a bit better than carrying around a larger battery pack... I've got a 10k mAh powerbank with me and it is bulky (around the size of a case for eyeglasses)... not to mention the cables that I need to carry with it for it to be usable...

Well I carry one around in my bag so I can charge all My stuff if needed. But only for a phone? Yeah that's abit too much lol.

Well I carry one around in my bag so I can charge all My stuff if needed. But only for a phone? Yeah that's abit too much lol.

Or you can just get a Morphie case, http://www.mophie.com/shop/juice-pack-iphone-6-plus?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=JP-IP6P&gclid=CjwKEAiAy7SzBRD_lv7quOnr6XUSJAAOLkW6grhHo61EB7ZV36kvHJuBQ6dEErewYS2zkVk5_oxJ0hoCIsTw_wcB

For the same price, you can get 2600mAh compared to the iphone smart battery case 1877mAh

I don't have an iPhone... (nor do I wish to have one in the near future...)

Might grab a short mUSB cable to make it more manageable instead... I carry a 1.2m cable... and all the other cables in my possession are at least 1m in length...

Edit:

I use the pack to charge a capsule speaker, and mp3 player, and 2 phones...

IMO it's not a "terrible" design I mean there are much worse possible designs. I still don't think it looks good. Additionally they could have just NOT priced it at $99, I mean really? REALLY? This is just about as close as they've come to actually saying "Yeah you are really just paying for the Apple logo" but I believe the closest they've actually come to that would be when they released the 2015 MacBook 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

Apple went cheap on the design, they could have stupidly easily license mophie patents, business wise its pretty stupid to reject a offer to license your product to Apple (expect the few mega corps that we all know), also none of those patents prevent them to put a larger battery on it, which is one of the several major faults of their battery case.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Hahahahahahhahahahahha. No

Why would I waste 100 on a battery case when I can get a bigger battery bank for less and share it with all My junk?

Hahahahahahhahahahahha. No

Why would I waste 100 on a battery case when I can get a bigger battery bank for less and share it with all My junk?

I call this my own battery case as it can do everything for 10 dollars!

8700mAh and provides 2.5A and 1A charging!

nCYlipJ.jpg