best entry level DSLR

aPinata

so christmas is comming up and i love taking photos as of recetly dunno why but i want to buy a DSLR that can take clear photos but not spending more than 500USD not sure if the used market of cameras is good or not but please let me know :)

edit: changed $ to USD

I'd stick with something newer since you're just starting out.

I'd look at the D3300. Great beginner camera.

In the future, it helps if you both follow your posts, and provide is with more information. $ can mean CAD, USD, AUS, etc.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I have a canon t3i. It's a couple years old but it still takes some very good photos. Some youtubers I watch still use one even though they shoot video at 1080p 30fps. 

@aPinata follow your posts.

Canon T3i / Nikon D3200

EDIT: I've used both and I own the D3200, both are amazing.

The D3300 is cheaper ;) But I completely agree.

Though if he does want to look used the T3i should be super cheap. I've seen new in box ones for as low as $300 CAD.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Canon T3i / Nikon D3200

EDIT: I've used both and I own the D3200, both are amazing.

I'd stick with something newer since you're just starting out.

I'd look at the D3300. Great beginner camera.

In the future, it helps if you both follow your posts, and provide is with more information. $ can mean CAD, USD, AUS, etc.

I have a canon t3i. It's a couple years old but it still takes some very good photos. Some youtubers I watch still use one even though they shoot video at 1080p 30fps. 

i also might to want to live stream in the future can i use this as a web cam too for like a small while is it possible? also if i buy it new or used does it matter and which lense do i buy?

so christmas is comming up and i love taking photos as of recetly dunno why but i want to buy a DSLR that can take clear photos but not spending more than 500USD not sure if the used market of cameras is good or not but please let me know :)

T3i is a great one.

I asked brandon about a suggestion for a cheaper DSLR for photos and video, he suggested a used t3i or t2i.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Oh boy, here comes another one.

• "Best" doesn't exist in photography
  • "Best entry level camera" is like asking for "which apple taste better, green or red?"
  • Proper grammar, punctuation, spelling and use of upper and lower case is needed

Do you really think you need a DSLR?  How about an advanced compact like a Canon 120, Sony RX100 or Fuji X30 as options.

Do you really need an interchangeable lens system?

What kind of photos do you want to take?

How far are you willing to go?

I'm starting to wish there was a photography exam people had to take before they can buy a camera. :rolleyes:

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

D3200 or D3300 with a 35mm f1.8g lens

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

i also might to want to live stream in the future can i use this as a web cam too for like a small while is it possible? also if i buy it new or used does it matter and which lense do i buy?

Yes, but don't focus on lenses when you're just starting out. You only need one, the kit zoom lens. You won't have the skills necessary to really make use of anything else yet and it's more than adequate. You might want to grab a prime 50mm lens, or if it comes with a used camera that's also all right, though I find the zoom lens better for beginners.

• "Best entry level camera" is like asking for "which apple taste better, green or red?"
  • Proper grammar, punctuation, spelling and use of upper and lower case is needed

Do you really think you need a DSLR?  How about an advanced compact like a Canon 120, Sony RX100 or Fuji X30 as options.

I'm starting to wish there was a photography exam people had to take before they can buy a camera. :rolleyes:

Point 3 wasn't really necessary, now was it? This isn't an English exam he's writing.

I think if he plans to do video in the future, the hot shoe is a huge advantage. So that takes the 120 off the table.

If you look at the other options, the D3300 is considerably cheaper.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Tbh I probably would have failed it.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Point 3 wasn't really necessary, now was it? This isn't an English exam he's writing.

I think if he plans to do video in the future, the hot shoe is a huge advantage. So that takes the 120 off the table.

If you look at the other options, the D3300 is considerably cheaper.

Well it's better to point it out so that the OP can take note and improve in the future than letting him/her off.

The OP said he/she wants to use the camera for live streaming as a webcam.  In which case it is better to buy a proper webcam than to use a DSLR.  If the OP wants to record video for the purpose of video recording, then it should be clearly stated.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Well it's better to point it out so that the OP can take note and improve in the future than letting him/her off.

The OP said he/she wants to use the camera for live streaming as a webcam.  In which case it is better to buy a proper webcam than to use a DSLR.  If the OP wants to record video for the purpose of video recording, then it should be clearly stated.

Let's take a look at his OP

It would appear to me that he was pretty clear. Is it not to you?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

snip

Nothing about videos in what he/she wrote. I'm here to help the OP make an informed decision in choosing a suitable camera.

Nothing about videos in what he/she wrote. I'm here to help the OP make an informed decision in choosing a suitable camera.

So what's a webcam? Pretty sure that's video...

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

So what's a webcam? Pretty sure that's video...

WOW, do you even realize how insanely stupid it is to use a DSLR as a webcam?

D3300, T3i. As mentioned are great starter cameras. Honestly - I WOULD recommend getting refurbished units. You can save a load of $$$ while still getting a great camera. Most would also have a 90-day warranty. Right now, Nikon is having a sale on refurbished units. 10% off everything. So, you could get a pretty decent deal on one of these camera kits. 

HOWEVER. As usual I'm going to recommend NOT getting a DSLR - unless you want to really learn to use the camera. If you want to be able to pick up a camera, take very decent photos without too much fuss - get either a good point and shoot, or, at most, a mirror-less system. The size, bulk, complication is arguably not worth it, unless you plan on using the system to its fullest potential.

A DSLR is not a good camera for quick usage, the "auto mode" on a DSLR is arguably not as good as that on most cellphones, point and shoots, or even mirrorless cameras. Where a DSLR camera IS good, is when you already know you want to be spending twice the price of the camera on lenses, or at least plan on learning to use the camera in something other than the automatic modes.

I would look at smaller Point-And-Shoot cameras, or mirror-less cameras. Being smaller, and more "pick up and shoot" type cameras, they will get AMAZING pictures, without the bulk and hassle.

Here are some $500 ish or less cameras:

Point-and-shoot:

Sony RX100

Panasonic Lumix LX7

Mirrorless:

Sony a5000

Sony a6000

i also might to want to live stream in the future can i use this as a web cam too for like a small while is it possible? 

You can, but, its quite troublesome. If i'm not mistaken, you would likely need to spend close to the cost of a webcam for additional hardware to capture the video from the camera. Not to mention, you may also need to purchase a different lens to get a good viewpoint. Most streamers use webcams, very few use DSLR or equivalent. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Not if that's his only use, savvy?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Not if that's his only use, savvy?

As the previous commentator said, the cost of investing in the hardware to turn a DSLR into a webcam can cost more than the price of a very good webcam.

So yeah, it's still an insanely stupid idea.

Additionally, no matter how good the image quality of a DSLR.  It was NOT meant to be used as a webcam.  For the same reasons why the video recording feature on a DSLR has limits that a proper video camera does not have.

is that even possible?? you'd need a capture card?

okay I'm getting an A7SII with some f1.4 glass for those lowlight skype calls with my gf. 

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

is that even possible?? you'd need a capture card?

okay I'm getting an A7SII with some f1.4 glass for those lowlight skype calls with my gf. 

Yep you would need a capture card, and a program, that can take the HDMI out of the camera and stream it.  Skype for example can take a video input from a webcam because the drivers for that webcam are supported and the video is streamed via USB, but plugging your DSLR's HDMI out into what port on the computer?  Computer's don't tend to come with HDMI-in ports or other video-in ports.

Additionally, do you want to use a camera that relies on battery power, live view, power saving time limits, a sensor that will overheat, etc. for webcam usage?  DSLR's are mainly designed to take photos, not stream video for long periods.  Even my professional video camera has this large heat sink behind the sensor to keep it cool when shooting video.

Not to mention DOF and focusing issues with a larger sensor camera.

Yep you would need a capture card, and a program, that can take the HDMI out of the camera and stream it.  Skype for example can take a video input from a webcam because the drivers for that webcam are supported and the video is streamed via USB, but plugging your DSLR's HDMI out into what port on the computer?  Computer's don't tend to come with HDMI-in ports or other video-in ports.

Additionally, do you want to use a camera that relies on battery power, live view, power saving time limits, a sensor that will overheat, etc. for webcam usage?  DSLR's are mainly designed to take photos, not stream video for long periods.  Even my professional video camera has this large heat sink behind the sensor to keep it cool when shooting video.

Not to mention DOF and focusing issues with a larger sensor camera.

I'll get the A7S II, with 14mm f2.8 lens, external power adapter, tripod, and some 4k capture card. 

I'll pre focus on where I'll be sitting

I'll get a corsair H110 GTX and glue it to the party of the body behind where the screen flips up.

all set. 

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

I'll get a corsair H110 GTX and glue it to the party of the body behind where the screen flips up.

Still wouldn't help, there is a gap between the sensor and the back of the camera body.  The back of the CCD/CMOS sensor sits on a circuit board, to cool it with the H110 the sensor has to be sitting on the heat sink.

Still wouldn't help, there is a gap between the sensor and the back of the camera body.  The back of the CCD/CMOS sensor sits on a circuit board, to cool it with the H110 the sensor has to be sitting on the heat sink.

then I will buy a mini fridge for it and drill a hole on the door to fit the lens through.

all set.