The dumbest thing you've told someone not to do, but they did it anyway

mider

Your dad clearly has anger issues...

Probably from that online poker O_o

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

So what... You know what I mean...

nah not rlly.

I7-6700k @ 4.8Ghz, EVGA Z170 Classified, Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8 32 GB, EVGA FTW+ ACX 2.0 GeForce GTX 980ti 6 GB x3, 2Tb WD Black x3, 1Tb Samsung 850 Evo, 400Gb Intel NVME PCIE SSD, Corsair RMx 850w 80+ Gold, Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Brown RGB, SteelSeries Sensei Raw

nah not rlly.

He's asking how the h*ll you know there isn't some spyware or something in the background if you don't have a proper antivirus/antimalware program. Malware bytes people....

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

He's asking how the h*ll you know there isn't some spyware or something in the background if you don't have a proper antivirus/antimalware program. Malware bytes people....

I was just not going to answer that... I would atleast run Windows defender and Malwarebytes as you said.

Upgrade a cheap pre built best buy system to be gaming capable.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

The Dell

> Dad asks me to find good laptop

> Dad only buys Dells

> I find great MSI for the price

> Dad wants Dell

> Find excellently reviewed Asus

> Dad wants Dell

> Find meh overpriced Dell

> Dad buys Dell

True story.

The Storm

> With Mom traveling through Midwest

> Knows strong thunderstorm is ahead

> I recommend we stop at an exit and get food while it passes harmlessly in front of us

> Mom wants to beat it to an exit in front of it's path

> We argue

> We go for her exit

> We get stuck in a thunderstorm with a Tornado warning

gg

The Makeout

> Friend-Girl asks relationship advice

> I tell her she needs to leave her BF

> She comes in next day late due to makeout session with BF

One week later...

> BF cheated on her and she's depressed.

Scumbag Brain

> Sits next to nice girl

> We work well together

> Not attracted to her beyond friendship for weeks

Last day

> Don't ask her out because not attracted

> Later that day develop major crush

> Only knows first name and bits of personal life and it feels creepy 'finding' people online like a P.I.

> F*ck me.

On the positive side I now know I'd make a half decent P.I..

its always the damn scumbag brain, CURSE YOU SCUMBAG BRAIN!!!!!!!

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

its always the damn scumbag brain, CURSE YOU SCUMBAG BRAIN!!!!!!!

I have a feeling no-one really listens to you :P

I have a feeling no-one really listens to you :P

yeah, sometimes  :P

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I told a co-worker to not save any important documents on their desktop, but to create shortcuts from their mydoc folder and use them instead.  That way if they have a hdd failure there documents are backed up on the server.  She said "No, that's too much work and I haven't had anything like that happen before."  Two weeks later her machine gets an unrecoverable blue screen of death and ALL of her documents were gone.  She then gets on the phone and berates us for ten minutes at how we are horrible at our jobs and can't believe anyone would hire us blah blah.  

CPU: i7 - 5930k  GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti  MOBO: MSI XPower AC X99 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB  Boot Drive: M.2 SM951 512GB Storage: 850 Pro 1TB SSD PSU: EVGA 1000W Case: TT Core X9 CPU Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate Case Fans: 2x Cooler Master 200mm Fan, 5x Cougar Vortex 120mm, 4x Be quiet! Pure Wings 140mm Peripherals: Corsair K70 and G5 Mouse

I feel stupid but here goes:

Friend: Hey, I found an i7 4770K on OfferUp for $100. Want to buy it?

Me: No. Sounds like a scam.

Friend: OK *goes and buys 4770K*

The 4770K was legit, by the way. The guy didn't know what it was. He offered higher, but the guy refused. I feel so stupid. Friend's computer is so much better than mine now. ;-;

SAME FRIEND:

Friend: Hey, I might replace my Note 3 with an iPhone 6+.

Me: (Long story short) *convince friend no, don't do that*

Friend: I agree, I don't want one

Friend: Goes and buys iPhone 6+

Friend 2 weeks later: I wish I hadn't bought this phone

Oh, and this (different friend from the first and second):

Friend: Hey I'm gonna buy a computer for $700

Me: Hey, I can help you pick out parts!

Friend: No, I'll just buy one

Me: (long story short) no pls dont

Friend: Okay, I agree, you can help me build it

*Days pass*

Friend: hey, I bought a computer

Me: Did you use the parts list I gave you?

Friend: No, I ordered a prebuilt

Me: What kind? Specs?

Friend: I dunno, it was $700. I thought it looked good

I wanna kms. Friend doesn't even remember if it has a discreet GPU.

EDIT: Cleaned up post.

steal his processor

My mate is currently building a house. He has requested to the builder that the house be wired with Cat 6A.

He gets a call today from the cable contractor;

Contractor: "I'm sorry but this cable doesn't exist. Cat 6 is the best option currently. Otherwise Cat 5e"

Mate: "Yes it does. Here is some links and more information on Cat 6A"

Contractor: I cannot source the cabling.. It does not exist. The best option is Cat 6 and even that is wayyy overkill for your home.

Mate: I am not paying for Cat 6 when I KNOW Cat 6A is exists. I would like to plan for the future, given the minimal extra cost even if i have to source the cable myself.

Contractor: It's not worth it anyway because hard drives in modern computers can only transfer data at 56Mbps and cannot even fully saturate a Cat 6 Gigabit connection. We will install Cat 6 cabling for you.

Mate: /facepalm. Your services are no longer required. I will call someone who knows what the actual f*ck they are talking about.

Mate: Calls me and we both have a good laugh.

[spoiler=REDWING]  REDWING   | Custom Hard Line Water Cooling Loop   |   Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz   |   Asus Maximus VII Ranger   |   Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2400 2x8GB   |   2 x Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming (SLI)   |   Corsair AX860i   |   Samsung 850 Pro 512GB   |   Corsair Obsidian 750D   |   Corsair K95 RGB & M65 RGB   |   Samsung SyncMaster S27B370

Project Redwing Build Log

[spoiler=ZedNAS] 'ZedNAS' Home NAS Build   |   Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3   |   ASRock Rack E3C224D4I   |   Kingston KVR16E11/8I 2x8GB   |   Corsair HX750   |   6 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM HDD   |   Fractal Design Node 304 mITX Black   |   FreeNAS w/ PleX   |   ZFS Raid-Z2 (16TB Effective)   |

Your dad clearly has anger issues...

Well, there are worse ways he could be venting it... Unless he is also venting it in those ways, in which I feel kinda bad for him and his mum...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Backstory: I work at a BMW dealership.

Friend asks me what I think of a 525it. 

I say it's garbage--don't do it unless you want a project.

He brings it in for a pre-purchase inspection.

Find NUMEROUS things wrong with car, and there's ZERO service history.

Car is worth 3500, with everything fixed, because 200,000+ miles.

Seller is asking 6500.

Friend buys car anyway. For $6000, still far more than it's worth.

Then winter comes along, heater fan dies. Power windows stop working. Constant battery drain--battery dead after 3 days of sitting. 2 of the 4 aftermarket wheels (that we said were bent in the PPI) are leaking.

Says it's all my fault.

Friend then buys a 2005 Mini Cooper for his wife. 

Clutch hydraulics fail on that. After fixing hydraulics, find out it needs a clutch anyway.

Backstory: I work at a BMW dealership.

Friend asks me what I think of a 525it.

I say it's garbage--don't do it unless you want a project.

He brings it in for a pre-purchase inspection.

Find NUMEROUS things wrong with car, and there's ZERO service history.

Car is worth 3500, with everything fixed, because 200,000+ miles.

Seller is asking 6500.

Friend buys car anyway. For $6000, still far more than it's worth.

Then winter comes along, heater fan dies. Power windows stop working. Constant battery drain--battery dead after 3 days of sitting. 2 of the 4 aftermarket wheels (that we said were bent in the PPI) are leaking.

Says it's all my fault.

Friend then buys a 2005 Mini Cooper for his wife.

Clutch hydraulics fail on that. After fixing hydraulics, find out it needs a clutch anyway.

Lol never had anyone accusing they generally listen to me :P

Lol never had anyone accusing they generally listen to me :P

yeah luckilly I've never had to deal with someone so stupid that they will ask for your advise and then ignore it, and then blame you when what you said would happen happens

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I told my friend to get the R7 265 over the 750 ti because it was only $80 where the 750 ti was $120, and he bought a GT 620 because he said it was better due to the benchmarks he saw....

Because of the very nature of the title, I'm moving this to Off Topic as the posts here don't necessarily need to deal with technology, do they?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

My boss asked me and my co-worker for suggestions about how to make things smoother around the office, with regards to the computers.

I suggested adding an SSD to each of the machines.

He dismissed my advice with a wave of his hand, pointing to his 25 years of experience and a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, and said that upgrading the system memory would do more of what he wanted them to do.

The machines run Excel.

and Word.

And Acrobat.

and maybe visio.

And he wanted them to have 16GB of RAM.

I was absolutely furious. Nothing pisses me off more than people using their age and years of experience to belittle others and dismiss their input.

He has since broken down and bought an SSD, which should arrive any day now, presumably after reading up on them and actually finding out what they are (he didn't even know of their existence until I told him about them). I'm usually not one for cruel vengeance, but... the taste of "I Told You So" in the air will be tangible and delicious.

Should have told him to download more RAM. With his years of experience he should know that's possible now.

Should have told him to download more RAM. With his years of experience he should know that's possible now.

I am sorely tempted.

This forum needs a mischievous/evil grin emote.

Because of the very nature of the title, I'm moving this to Off Topic as the posts here don't necessarily need to deal with technology, do they?

Yeah.  sorry.  I always forget that general discussion is computer discussion

CPU: AMD FX-6300 @3.8 GHz     |     Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212     |     RAM: G.Skill NS Series 4x4GB      |       Motherboard: GIGABYTE 990FXA     |     Case: Antec One     |     Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270x HAWK    |    PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2    |     HDD: 1 WD Black (Programs Files), 1 WD Caviar Blue (Boot)     |     KB & M: Cooler Master Storm Devastator Blue     |     Speakers: Logitech Z506     |     UPS:  CyberPower 1500w     |

Every time you use comic sans, one programmer dies.

My friend was building a rig with advice from me and he wanted it to be really quiet. He proceeded to use the stock cooler saying that it won't be that bad...

It sounded like a jet engine. 

Listen to the guys at memoryexpress

(comes back with RM, v300 and v71)

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.