The dumbest thing you've told someone not to do, but they did it anyway

mider

I was thinking it was asinine six ways to Sunday when they asked me.

Also I told them that openBSD is very stable, and is used to make some high end servers.

Well, there's you problem right there.  Obviously suggesting that something other than what they were unsure about installing to begin with is just so offensive they couldn't stand to be in the same room :P

Yeah, I'd say that's asinine 8 days a week :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yeah, I'd say that's asinine 8 days a week :)

CPU: AMD FX-6300 @3.8 GHz     |     Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212     |     RAM: G.Skill NS Series 4x4GB      |       Motherboard: GIGABYTE 990FXA     |     Case: Antec One     |     Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270x HAWK    |    PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2    |     HDD: 1 WD Black (Programs Files), 1 WD Caviar Blue (Boot)     |     KB & M: Cooler Master Storm Devastator Blue     |     Speakers: Logitech Z506     |     UPS:  CyberPower 1500w     |

Every time you use comic sans, one programmer dies.

I once tried to talk someone out of buying a gaming headset, guy basically ignored all my points and still thinks he made the right choice with seriously no argument. Another guy made the argument that the gaming headset he wanted was good quality, because he went through 3 of them (and they all broke).

I don't bother giving advise to people who are looking at products with a tunnel vision anymore, learned it the hard way.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

I once tried to talk someone out of buying a gaming headset, guy basically ignored all my points and still thinks he made the right choice with seriously no argument. Another guy made the argument that the gaming headset he wanted was good quality, because he went through 3 of them (and they all broke).

I don't bother giving advise to people who are looking at products with a tunnel vision anymore, learned it the hard way.

What were the headsets that you tried to talk your friend out of and the other one that kept breaking...... How can one think its good if new ones keep breaking >.<

What were the headsets that you tried to talk your friend out of and the other one that kept breaking...... How can one think its good if new ones keep breaking >.<

I believe it was some Tritton headset. No idea where people get the logic that a product breaking isn't a sign of bad quality, trust me when I say that I'm just as confused.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Told my dad to not buy the early Samsung phones (galaxy nexus/s4) and he did it anyway. Now $1000 later he's on an LG G4.

My mum paid MONEY for ​​Norton AND an obscure registry cleaner even after I told her she was wasting her money. Long story the registry program damaged her registry and she had to have the laptop repaired for £50. I seem unable to get across to people that I'm trying to help and not trying to murder their computer.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

"I really don't think mixing ammonia and bleach is such a good idea Bob."

We are going to his funeral next week. 

My mum paid MONEY for ​​Norton AND an obscure registry cleaner even after I told her she was wasting her money. Long story the registry program damaged her registry and she had to have the laptop repaired for £50. I seem unable to get across to people that I'm trying to help and not trying to murder their computer.

What's wrong with Norton?

I have an old Sharp laptop from 2002 that runs Windows XP. It ran dog-slow for most of its life. All that went away when I took Norton off. That's all it took. Everything about the computer changed. I could actually run Paint Tool SAI on the damn thing!

Norton is a shit virus of a program that yaps at you when it wants more money.

I have an old Sharp laptop from 2002 that runs Windows XP. It ran dog-slow for most of its life. All that went away when I took Norton off. That's all it took. Everything about the computer changed. I could actually run Paint Tool SAI on the damn thing!

Norton is a shit virus of a program that yaps at you when it wants more money.

Are you kidding me? 2002?! I think we all agree that Norton was shit before 2010/11 but we are now 2015...

My boss asked me and my co-worker for suggestions about how to make things smoother around the office, with regards to the computers.

I suggested adding an SSD to each of the machines.

He dismissed my advice with a wave of his hand, pointing to his 25 years of experience and a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, and said that upgrading the system memory would do more of what he wanted them to do.

The machines run Excel.

and Word.

And Acrobat.

and maybe visio.

And he wanted them to have 16GB of RAM.

I was absolutely furious. Nothing pisses me off more than people using their age and years of experience to belittle others and dismiss their input.

He has since broken down and bought an SSD, which should arrive any day now, presumably after reading up on them and actually finding out what they are (he didn't even know of their existence until I told him about them). I'm usually not one for cruel vengeance, but... the taste of "I Told You So" in the air will be tangible and delicious.

My friend asked me if it was a good idea to cosign on his girlfriends car. She had the credit to get the car at a higher interest rate but adding him would lower it. I told him don't do it. He didn't cosign. Instead he bought the car himself and upgraded to the limited model since the payments would of been the same if she financed it herself. 8 months later they broke up and she keyed the car. He is now stuck with a car he cant sell and can barely afford payments on.

I told my mom to buy a Windows Phone.

She didn't do it.

(All she does is WhatsApp, Hotmail and Facebook)

Well, at least I didn't have to migrate the contacts...

I told my coworker that she doesn't need to double-click on everything she needs to select.

I tell her this not to be annoying, but to save her right index finger - that cheap bundled Dell mouse takes strenuous effort to press.

She said. "yeh..." and kept on doing it.

Software bloat, Windows Defender is all you need, Anti-Virus's don't really do much, it's the Firewall that keeps your computer safe from attacks most of the time. 

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

The Dell

> Dad asks me to find good laptop

> Dad only buys Dells

> I find great MSI for the price

> Dad wants Dell

> Find excellently reviewed Asus

> Dad wants Dell

> Find meh overpriced Dell

> Dad buys Dell

True story.

The Storm

> With Mom traveling through Midwest

> Knows strong thunderstorm is ahead

> I recommend we stop at an exit and get food while it passes harmlessly in front of us

> Mom wants to beat it to an exit in front of it's path

> We argue

> We go for her exit

> We get stuck in a thunderstorm with a Tornado warning

gg

The Makeout

> Friend-Girl asks relationship advice

> I tell her she needs to leave her BF

> She comes in next day late due to makeout session with BF

One week later...

> BF cheated on her and she's depressed.

Scumbag Brain

> Sits next to nice girl

> We work well together

> Not attracted to her beyond friendship for weeks

Last day

> Don't ask her out because not attracted

> Later that day develop major crush

> Only knows first name and bits of personal life and it feels creepy 'finding' people online like a P.I.

> F*ck me.

On the positive side I now know I'd make a half decent P.I..

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Me:Dont move the wifi extender your pc is almost directly next to the router

friend:oh ok fair enough

1 day later

friend:i moved it,my internet stayed the same but everyone else was going slower so i moved it back

me and @TomvanWijnen always argue if it's better to buy new or used, i say new, but he says used :D

Used ftw. More and better stuff, for less money :D

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

There is a LOT of elitism in this thread. :D

The most idiotic person I've dealt with was when I didn't need/want a gaming laptop and spent about 6 weeks ignoring their cries for what they would buy with the money, when I wanted a laptop for streaming purposes and just web stuff. Imagine the horror when I bought an old one off ebay and spent more on the case to carry it in.

I told my coworker that she doesn't need to double-click on everything she needs to select.

I tell her this not to be annoying, but to save her right index finger - that cheap bundled Dell mouse takes strenuous effort to press.

She said. "yeh..." and kept on doing it.

I am sorry but at least your boot times will decrease ten fold.

I7-6700k @ 4.8Ghz, EVGA Z170 Classified, Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8 32 GB, EVGA FTW+ ACX 2.0 GeForce GTX 980ti 6 GB x3, 2Tb WD Black x3, 1Tb Samsung 850 Evo, 400Gb Intel NVME PCIE SSD, Corsair RMx 850w 80+ Gold, Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Brown RGB, SteelSeries Sensei Raw

Software bloat, Windows Defender is all you need, Anti-Virus's don't really do much, it's the Firewall that keeps your computer safe from attacks most of the time.

I have 0 antivirus software, windows firewall is keeping me clean, I have gotten 0 viruses since, I am torrenting like a bitch.

I7-6700k @ 4.8Ghz, EVGA Z170 Classified, Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8 32 GB, EVGA FTW+ ACX 2.0 GeForce GTX 980ti 6 GB x3, 2Tb WD Black x3, 1Tb Samsung 850 Evo, 400Gb Intel NVME PCIE SSD, Corsair RMx 850w 80+ Gold, Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Brown RGB, SteelSeries Sensei Raw

I have 0 antivirus software, windows firewall is keeping me clean, I have gotten 0 viruses since, I am torrenting like a bitch.

A firewall does nothing against a virus...

How do you even know you don't have a virus if you use nothing? Maybe it's a keylogger stealing your bank information...

A firewall does nothing against a virus...

How do you even know you don't have a virus if you use nothing? Maybe it's a keylogger stealing your bank information...

I don't bank online ...