The dumbest thing you've told someone not to do, but they did it anyway

mider

As the title says.

Friend: I want a gaming PC

Me: I can help you build one

Friend: Do you know how to build a laptop?

Me: Get an MSI or ASUS

Friend: k

*Buys HP Pavilion dv4*

Edit:

MODS:  this isn't about non-tech savvy people.  My friend from my first post is actually very tech savvy.  Just about you not telling people to do stupid things that they did anyway!

CPU: AMD FX-6300 @3.8 GHz     |     Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212     |     RAM: G.Skill NS Series 4x4GB      |       Motherboard: GIGABYTE 990FXA     |     Case: Antec One     |     Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270x HAWK    |    PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2    |     HDD: 1 WD Black (Programs Files), 1 WD Caviar Blue (Boot)     |     KB & M: Cooler Master Storm Devastator Blue     |     Speakers: Logitech Z506     |     UPS:  CyberPower 1500w     |

Every time you use comic sans, one programmer dies.

Nice.

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

Buying prebuilts from best buy.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

I feel stupid but here goes:

Friend: Hey, I found an i7 4770K on OfferUp for $100. Want to buy it?

Me: No. Sounds like a scam.

Friend: OK *goes and buys 4770K*

The 4770K was legit, by the way. The guy didn't know what it was. He offered higher, but the guy refused. I feel so stupid. Friend's computer is so much better than mine now. ;-;

SAME FRIEND:

Friend: Hey, I might replace my Note 3 with an iPhone 6+.

Me: (Long story short) *convince friend no, don't do that*

Friend: I agree, I don't want one

Friend: Goes and buys iPhone 6+

Friend 2 weeks later: I wish I hadn't bought this phone

Oh, and this (different friend from the first and second):

Friend: Hey I'm gonna buy a computer for $700

Me: Hey, I can help you pick out parts!

Friend: No, I'll just buy one

Me: (long story short) no pls dont

Friend: Okay, I agree, you can help me build it

*Days pass*

Friend: hey, I bought a computer

Me: Did you use the parts list I gave you?

Friend: No, I ordered a prebuilt

Me: What kind? Specs?

Friend: I dunno, it was $700. I thought it looked good

I wanna kms. Friend doesn't even remember if it has a discreet GPU.

EDIT: Cleaned up post.

I used to be quite active here.

Now wait a day and hear them complain it's way slower and shitter than console. Or alternatively they'll gloat about how they're getting 10000fps on Ultra at 4K

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Me and my co-worker are wiring up a house with Coaxial cable.

Co-worker: *pulls out 18 inches of cable*

Me: We don't need that much.
CW: *looks up at me*
Me: I only need 12 inches for the run to the kids room.
CW: *looks down at cable, back at me, back at cable* *cuts cable at 18 inches*.

This is when he was the new guy and I was the more experienced one in this case. 

My "give-a-f***" meter was depleted as of that moment.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I told my friend that buying a 20 USD iphone from ebay wasnt smart... He bougth it and it took him a week to figure out that it was fake... (It had android on it but the reskin was verry convincing and the exterior was EXACTLY replicating å real iphone 5)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

I told my friend that buying a 20 USD iphone from ebay wasnt smart... He bougth it and it took him a week to figure out that it was fake... (It had android on it but the reskin was verry convincing and the exterior was EXACTLY replicating å real iphone 5)

Link? Hell, for $20 I'll buy one

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

Don't plug in your CD drive while the computer is running.

Don't store that HDD in your drawer with your clothes.

Don't stick a fucking sticky note in the CD drive.

Don't get that GPU, you can get one better for the money. (My brother got a 760 2GB over a 280X..)

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Happend 2 weeks ago.

I was sitting in a car and my car was behind it (parked parallel).

I said "don't forget my car is behind yours"

He ran into it... GG...

Anyway, a more tech-related one.

Couple of years ago, a friend of me was looking for a new notebook.

Told him not to get one unless i was with him to help him.

He went without me and got a crappy HP. Year later he regretted his decision to forget me. Stuck with it for another year and then changed to a desktop.

And he did ask me for advice that time, and he got some, and i didn't disappoint him :)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

*brother wants new computer*

Me: "What's your budget?"

Him: "$400"

Me: "I can build you an entry level gaming PC so you can ditch that PS3."

Him: K

3 months later he tells me "I just got a new laptop for $375!"

Me: "wat. I could have built you a faster desktop for the same price, you don't even take your current laptop anywhere."

Him: No reply

*sees random laptop box on the floor a week later and looks at the specs*

It has a Celeron N3050, and 4 GB of RAM...the laptop retails for $300. He's only used it on his bed and hasn't unplugged it since the day he got it...

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

Link? Hell, for $20 I'll buy one

this was when the iphone 5 came out, im pretty sure the Seller has been taken down by now. (Would have provided the link in my post if i had the link)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

My girlfriend has been a die-hard Apple fan for some time now... she has owned nothing but an iPhone/iPad/iPod/MacBook, etc.

She gets into a relationship with me and she is now the proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy S6 and LOVES it.

I told her not to do something, and she listened. Sorry, that detracts from the intention of the thread but I thought it was too awesome not to post.

How long until this gets merged into one of the other 3 threads about dealing with not- tech-savvy people, eh mods?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

How long until this gets merged into one of the other 3 threads about dealing with not- tech-savvy people, eh mods?

When it gets over 9000 views

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

But this isn't about non-tech savvy people.  My friend from my first post is actually very tech savvy

CPU: AMD FX-6300 @3.8 GHz     |     Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212     |     RAM: G.Skill NS Series 4x4GB      |       Motherboard: GIGABYTE 990FXA     |     Case: Antec One     |     Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270x HAWK    |    PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2    |     HDD: 1 WD Black (Programs Files), 1 WD Caviar Blue (Boot)     |     KB & M: Cooler Master Storm Devastator Blue     |     Speakers: Logitech Z506     |     UPS:  CyberPower 1500w     |

Every time you use comic sans, one programmer dies.

My Dad bought the most expensive dell xps desktop he could possibly get so he can play online poker and watch YouTube videos. It cost him over $2,000 and most of the time he doesn't even use it. I told him it was a bad idea and that I could build him a desktop of his liking for far cheaper and perform much better. He won't even let me touch his desktop and says I don't know enough about computer's to fix the problems he's been having lately. So, my Mom takes a look at his computer and then has me fix it. Turns out he opens almost all the email spam he gets and opens popups. I kicks his computer and slams the keyboard every time it does something wrong or is slow. That poor machine might last another month at tops.

My Dad bought the most expensive dell xps desktop he could possibly get so he can play online poker and watch YouTube videos. It cost him over $2,000 and most of the time he doesn't even use it. I told him it was a bad idea and that I could build him a desktop of his liking for far cheaper and perform much better. He won't even let me touch his desktop and says I don't know enough about computer's to fix the problems he's been having lately. So, my Mom takes a look at his computer and then has me fix it. Turns out he opens almost all the email spam he gets and opens popups. I kicks his computer and slams the keyboard every time it does something wrong or is slow. That poor machine might last another month at tops.

Your dad clearly has anger issues...

Me: Don't install a Windows Server. I have something that will work better for you.

Company: Alright. We give two weeks to migrate.

Me: Okay

COMES IN THE NEXT DAY

Company: We regret to inform you, we no longer require your services. We are letting you go due to a difference in opinion. Also, is Windows Server 2008 any good?

Company: We regret to inform you, we no longer require your services. We are letting you go due to a difference in opinion. Also, is Windows Server 2008 any good?

Let me get this straight... as they are walking you out the door for having a differing opinion, they ask your opinion on the thing they are getting rid of you for?  :blink:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Let me get this straight... as they are walking you out the door for having a differing opinion, they ask your opinion on the thing they are getting rid of you for?  :blink:

Yup.

574959_532977393394151_62018296_n.jpeg

I was thinking it was asinine six ways to Sunday when they asked me.

Also I told them that openBSD is very stable, and is used to make some high end servers.