Anyone else feel like VRAM is increasing very fast now days?

Chasem121

Just 10 months ago when I bought my 290 I felt like 4GB was a very future-proof amount, but now I find myself thinking of VRAM limitations when considering getting higher resolution monitors, and I start thinking of the 8GB 390(x)'s.

Am I overthinking it or is the VRAM actually increasing quite fast?

Just 10 months ago when I bought my 290 I felt like 4GB was a very future-proof amount, but now I find myself thinking of VRAM limitations when considering getting higher resolution monitors, and I start thinking of the 8GB 390(x)'s.

just download more vram ! (jk)

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just download more jokes!

SAVAGE

No

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

The only reason why VRAM is needed more and more increasing fast is because we are taking a huge leap in resolutions. The big bound for GPU's used to be getting to play 1080p. That turned into the common setup. So 2gb was plenty. 4gb was good enough for 1440p. and now we are looking at 8gb cards for games reaching at 4k.

I really don't see monitors going any higher than 4k in the near future. 4k will be the new standard in a few years. Then your 8-12gb cards will be the standard. I'd say you'd be future proof enough for the time being as far as VRAM goes, but not graphical power.

It always feels that way. I remember when 128MB was high end, I had a 32MB card at the time. Before I knew it, my 512MB card was superseded by 1.5-2GB cards.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

It doesn't help that devs get lazy when better hardware exists, thus pushing up vram usage by games regardless. I don't see any benefit to 4k for my use though so it isn't so bad to me, if the devs like I said weren't so bad at optimization now a days, but it isn't that fast (this is coming from a 970 user)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

This is what I do with RAM, I found this website to be very helpful http://downloadmoreram.com/

NO WAY ! I just downloaded 32gb of RAM !

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

This is what I do with RAM, I found this website to be very helpful http://downloadmoreram.com/

So, what happens if I actually try to download it. Do I just get rick rolled or what? I don't want any viruses to find out. Lol..

So, what happens if I actually try to download it. Do I just get rick rolled or what? I don't want any viruses to find out. Lol..

I tried it, you don't actually download anything, it's just an animation. I promise.

It doubles every couple of years, that is how the computer industry works, its been like this for 40 years. Nothing special breaking the trend happening, in fact it's about 30% slower than it used to be.

What about those who don't care for extra pixels but want quality? My monitor I only 16:10 1050P but its image is excellent.

I will be running a 1536mb GTX 580 in 2 days time.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Considering some games can use up 4GB @ 1080p, 8GB makes sense for 4K.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

To be honest, all my game used to run fine at 1080p medium/high two years ago with only 1GB VRAM (used to get around 45-60fps). But, now few games such as AC Syndicate hardly feel smooth at 720p low (20-30fps). I think developers should be more concerned about optimization rather than adding unnecessary physics/assets and buffed up lazy codes.

You're asking the Dev's to hold back on great production just as the computer companies are doing. 

I actually want the game dev's to push the limits to all computer parts, this way companies like Nvidia and ATI have no choice but to go big or go home.

What about those who don't care for extra pixels but want quality? My monitor I only 16:10 1050P but its image is excellent.

I will be running a 1536mb GTX 580 in 2 days time.

For those who don't care about more pixels can stay on their older equipment. I don't see what the dilemma is here.

I mean if we're talking about efficiency the new line up of cards that are going to be coming out from what I have heard are going to 25% more efficient then the current 900 series, I mean when a graphics card line up has already been released its safe to safe that they're probably are working on a better card line up, I am happy I didn't waste my money from going to a 780 to a 900 series card of some sort.

ATI

There's a name that hasn't been mentioned in a long time. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III