How often do you guys do a clean install of your OS

Just curious, pretty much just the questions above. If you have anything more complex than the options above please feel free to post the details below.

Not often, never feel the need to.

Also, Windows 8.1.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Every six months is probably pretty accurate. I like to start fresh every once in a while. 

Security wise its safe to do every 3-6 months. Most people Will not do this though as it can be a pain in the ass to have to reset your windows 10 key if you decide to upgrade. Windows 7 is really easy to reinstall.

Most users should do it once every year, for speed and best possible performance

uhm you spelt bellow instead of below ._.

did I? I'll fix it now.

Fixed.

Not often, never feel the need to.

Also, Windows 8.1.

Fair enough.

Every six months is probably pretty accurate. I like to start fresh every once in a while. 

Same here, I usually get me OS clogged up with crap from trying out heaps of programs and usual stuff.

Security wise its safe to do every 3-6 months. Most people Will not do this though as it can be a pain in the ass to have to reset your windows 10 key if you decide to upgrade. Windows 7 is really easy to reinstall.

Most users should do it once every year, for speed and best possible performance

I haven't tried doing a clean install on Windows 10 yet, I was lazy and did an upgrade from 7 to 10, I'm about to try now so we'll see how that goes.

Fair enough.

Same here, I usually get me OS clogged up with crap from trying out heaps of programs and usual stuff.

I haven't tried doing a clean install on Windows 10 yet, I was lazy and did an upgrade from 7 to 10, I'm about to try now so we'll see how that goes.

Good luck :P You may have to call microsoft to release the key if the windows install didnt do it correctly the first time (it should have locked the key to your computer hardware)

Good luck :P You may have to call microsoft to release the key if the windows install didnt do it correctly the first time (it should have locked the key to your computer hardware)

OK, thanks for the heads up.

I reinstall when I break my system, which happened two days ago for me. 

I expect this to happen from time to time, but I can get back up to the previous state within 20 minutes and no data lost.

Just curious, pretty much just the questions above. If you have anything more complex than the options above please feel free to post the details below.

Every 3 months or so I reinstall Windows, get rid of everything and start afresh.

My build : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL

[spoiler spoiler=Crimson Skyline]  My build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL | I5-6600K | Hyper 212 Evo | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming + ROG Front Base | Axevir Core Series Red 2X8 2400 | Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB | Western Digital 1TB Blue | MSI R9 390 | Corsair 760T | Corsair 850 RMI | Dell U2515H IPS | Hyper X II Cloud Red | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech G602 |

[spoiler spoiler=Laptop] I7 3232QM | Nvidia GT635M | 17.6" TN | 1TB HD | 6GB RAM

Used to do it alot when I was on windows 7 but now after updating to windows 10 I probably won't be doing it for a very long time

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and I've heard quite negative things about reactivating the key so I probably won't be doing it if I'm honest.

never really after i did the initial install. it just seems like too much of a hassle to do a complete install again. especially after i installed all my games and programs!

i guess i would only really do a clean install after i get really bad crashes and BSOD's or something.

I use both Mac OS X and Windows,

I usually do a fresh install of the OS's every 3 years or so. Unless the OS Starts acting weirdly. Since Windows 8 was released I have not done a fresh install since the original installation of Windows 8. With Windows 7 I re-installed the OS every 5-6 Months.

With Mac OS X my Mac Pro hasn't had a fresh install since Mac OS X Lion and that was only due to me getting a Samsung 840 Evo SSD.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Windows/Linux dual boot, approximately once a year during the summer holidays - it's always good to have a nice clean install, especially for Windows. Currently sitting with random BSODs from my Windows boot (fixes itself after a reboot), should probably do another clean install again

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

Fresh install when needed... usually when I break the OS too much and things start acting weird...

Linux install in dual boot to take care of things in case everything breaks...

I'll be doing a fresh install after I get that new HDD...

i install windows after i first build my pc. i only ever install it again if i have an issue which would require me to do so

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

Like most people here I only ever reinstall if I've had a major issue or if I want to change drives. I did reinstall to make room for windows 10, but then I changed my mind about upgrading. Going to be reinstalling again soon because I've bought a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO to replace my corsair 60GB SSD as my boot disk.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Never. I've had Windows 8 ever since it came out.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Formatting of the drives and Windows disk

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933