30k hours on a ATA Western Digital Caviar

silentmelodies

Look and believe

30944 hours 8000 power ons

mpPfQLB.jpg

Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad T61 Widescreen 15.4" 1680x1050
Intel Core2Duo T8300 2.4GHz | 3GB DDR2 from Hynix | SATA II Patched bios (Middleton) | Samsung EVO 850
Arch Linux | Linux 4.3.X x86_64

Great?

Specs: i7-4790k with Thermaltake Water 3.0, EVGA GTX 970, MSI Z97 Gaming 3, Kingston HyperX 2x8 DDR3 1600Mhz, SSD Boot Drive/1TB HD, CM Storm Stryker, EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Peripherals: SS Rival, HyperX Cloud, G710+

and why exactly did you make this topic...?

is 30k hours special or something?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

and why exactly did you make this topic...?

is 30k hours special or something?

Average HDD is rated at 4-5k

This one has 30

Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad T61 Widescreen 15.4" 1680x1050
Intel Core2Duo T8300 2.4GHz | 3GB DDR2 from Hynix | SATA II Patched bios (Middleton) | Samsung EVO 850
Arch Linux | Linux 4.3.X x86_64

This one has 30

OP I think this would fit better in off topic

Specs: i7-4790k with Thermaltake Water 3.0, EVGA GTX 970, MSI Z97 Gaming 3, Kingston HyperX 2x8 DDR3 1600Mhz, SSD Boot Drive/1TB HD, CM Storm Stryker, EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Peripherals: SS Rival, HyperX Cloud, G710+

This one has 30

um, no?

average HDD is rated at 1-2 MILLION  hours

that is 1 000 000 - 2 000 000

not 4000-5000

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This one has 30

4K hours is 166 days.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

30K is nothing got a triple raid 0 of 3 WD caviar Black on little bro computer , it's runing for 36k hours , works fine.

Btw , get some real case or fan because 51°C on a drive is freaking high...

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

um, no?

average HDD is rated at 1-2 MILLION  hours

that is 1 000 000 - 2 000 000

not 4000-5000

Yup, no. You're thinking of Mean Time Between Failures. Hard disk aren't rated for their MTBF. MTBF is derived from laboratory tests and it's intended to be used for comparison, not as a measure of real-world longevity. Consumer HDD models are rated for around eight hours of daily use for three to five years. There is no hard disk in existence that lasts for hundreds of years in 24/7 operation. 

Yup, no. You're thinking of Mean Time Between Failures. Hard disk aren't rated for their MTBF. MTBF is derived from laboratory tests and it's intended to be used for comparison, not as a measure of real-world longevity. Consumer HDD models are rated for around eight hours of daily use for three to five years. There is no hard disk in existence that lasts for hundreds of years in 24/7 operation. 

do you know what mean time before failure means??

because it literally means "mean time before failure"

i have seen most consumer drives reach about 100-300 thousand hours before getting any relocated sectors and errors from degradation

30k hours is not even close to how long HDDs last, and this is only talking about consumer drives

you need to do some research, and see how long enterprise HDDs last

lol

Spoiler

do you know what mean time before failure means??

because it literally means "mean time before failure"

i have seen most consumer drives reach about 100-300 thousand hours before getting any relocated sectors and errors from degradation

30k hours is not even close to how long HDDs last, and this is only talking about consumer drives

you need to do some research, and see how long enterprise HDDs last

lol

Take a thousand disks, test them for a thousand hours. If none fail, your MTBF is one million hours minimum. Keep at it until you get a failed drive and do the math. And there you have it. They don't test single drives for millions on hours. It's only been half a million hours since HDDs were invented! On that note, 300 thousand hours is 34 years... I have yet so see a drive that old, let alone a consumer-grade one. I find it hard to believe these drives we have now would last that long either but I'm willing to admit I'm wrong. In the year 2050.

Here's more info on how MTBF is determined and it's relation to drive longevity.

I'm not saying HDDs can't be used for years-on-end. I have old drives still in use myself. But the maximum they're rated (designed to be used daily) for is in the order of years, not hundreds or even tens of years.

Take a thousand disks, test them for a thousand hours. If none fail, your MTBF is one million hours minimum. Keep at it until you get a failed drive and do the math. And there you have it. They don't test single drives for millions on hours. It's only been half a million hours since HDDs were invented! On that note, 300 thousand hours is 34 years... I have yet so see a drive that old, let alone a consumer-grade one. I find it hard to believe these drives we have now would last that long either but I'm willing to admit I'm wrong. In the year 2050.

Here's more info on how MTBF is determined and it's relation to drive longevity.

I'm not saying HDDs can't be used for years-on-end. I have old drives still in use myself. But the maximum they're rated (designed to be used daily) for is in the order of years, not hundreds or even tens of years.

lol that's not how it works at all

did you even do some research?

based on your flawed logic, WD could run 1000 hard drives for a few years and claim a billion hours MTBF

that's NOT how MTBF is calculated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_time_between_failures

The first system failed at 100 hours, the second failed at 120 hours and the third failed at 130 hours. The MTBF of the system is the average of the three failure times, which is 116.667 hours. If the systems are non-repairable, then their MTTF would be 116.667 hours.

Spoiler

30k hours is nothing special.. I have many flavors of disks in my NAS's running well over 50,000 hours and still running fine.