What is Star Citizen?

centurion_08

Hi,

I'm just gonna ask, what is Star Citizen. Just seen some "Alpha 2.0" trailer and then some.

One gameplay shows an fps match and they call it "module" the other one is some sick interstellar travel, next shows docking to a fucking space station.

What the hell is goin on. I've been out of the loop when it comes to "space sims" so if anyone could explain what kinda game is that.

Single player/multi/mmo. Storyline, deathmatch, does it have an economy, roleplay, like anything. Throw me a bone, because this looks amazing.

So many details in the gameplay.

Its a game with prettymuch infinite funding that struggles to put something new out every year.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

It is love.

It is life.

jk I don't know either. And I own one of the starter packs.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Star Citizen is a crowd funded game being created by Chris Roberts. Chris has made previous games such as Wing Commander and Freelancer so he has a good gaming background and a love of space. After several years of mystery Chris has returned with the hope of making the most kick ass space game he can. It is planned to be an open world/universe game where you can do whatever you like! There is also a single-player component called Squadron 42 where you are part of the UEE (United Empire of Earth) military which will introduce you to the game. So far the live release of the alpha contains only a hanger module and a 'simulation pod' where you can battle online against the AI or other players in the ships you own [1]. The test servers are currently in the phase of having a small universe which contains a wide area and several different missions to do as well as play online with currently 16 other players.

The game will develop over time and is constantly changing so buying into the game is not for everyone. Though in the last 3 years over 1,000,000 accounts have been made for the game so there is a wide number of people interested in the game.

[1] - Ships are purchased as funding the game **THEY ARE NOT COMPULSORY ALL SHIPS WILL BE AVAILABLE IN THE FULL GAME FOR IN GAME CURRENCY** You can buy into helping funding the game and get certain ships as a reward though this is completely unnecessary as previously stated as you are able to buy the smallest package (Aurora MS) which includes the whole game upon release

There is plenty of things I haven't mentioned but there are more comprehensive than mine on the Robert Space Industries Forums and about the game pages.

Ryzen 7  2700x | 16GB RAM | GTX 2080ti EVGA | Noctua LTT Edition D15 | Inwin 303 White | Roccat Suora | Logitech G903 Wireless| AKG K92 |

Star Citizen Linus Tech Tips Conglomerate Wolf Pack, Bane Wing Commander | LTTC Discord Chat | About the UOLTT | Referral Code Randomiser

There may or may not be a mop in my profile picture, don't ask about the mop... Just Look Here

Hi,

I'm just gonna ask, what is Star Citizen. Just seen some "Alpha 2.0" trailer and then some.

One gameplay shows an fps match and they call it "module" the other one is some sick interstellar travel, next shows docking to a fucking space station.

What the hell is goin on. I've been out of the loop when it comes to "space sims" so if anyone could explain what kinda game is that.

Single player/multi/mmo. Storyline, deathmatch, does it have an economy, roleplay, like anything. Throw me a bone, because this looks amazing.

So many details in the gameplay.

Open world space sims with a pretty solid FPS and space flight simple, we are on the point of 2.0, which I got an early invite to and I can say it's feeling pretty awesome.

It has Arena Commander (basicly a game in a game) which is a small map where you can dogfight against other players or a now tough ai

Star Marine which has to be released is the FPS section which will be a death match style game like Arena Commander.

2.0 brings the FPS and space dogfighting together and add the ability to fly the "smaller" multicrew ships.

Me and @Adreyu got in a ship and flew to a station, snuck in, picked up a few weapons and flew off and engaged in a dogfight with another multicrew ship.

There are a few quests to do at the moment but it's still alpha but for me it's awesome (and crashes less than Fallout 4 for me)

Its a game with prettymuch infinite funding that struggles to put something new out every year.

Potential vaporware.

Want a good game that is cheap and not bug-ridden?

Buy games after release ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Multiple releases through out the year. LTT related org that was 2nd largest and still *technically* is, weekly meetup with a regular group off the forum. The 2.0 PTU has been getting large daily bug updates and the dates delayed as chosen by the community in a poll when they hit 20 mil.

Hardest working game devs I've ever known

Basically what @rentaspoon said. I would go onto the website www.robertsspaceindustries.com and just do some reading because although it is picking up momentum it is not finished yet and if you want to get in you should be very sure you have all the information

Basically what @rentaspoon said. I would go onto the website www.robertsspaceindustries.com and just do some reading because although it is picking up momentum it is not finished yet and if you want to get in you should be very sure you have all the information

Oh am I not good enough :P

Ryzen 7  2700x | 16GB RAM | GTX 2080ti EVGA | Noctua LTT Edition D15 | Inwin 303 White | Roccat Suora | Logitech G903 Wireless| AKG K92 |

Star Citizen Linus Tech Tips Conglomerate Wolf Pack, Bane Wing Commander | LTTC Discord Chat | About the UOLTT | Referral Code Randomiser

There may or may not be a mop in my profile picture, don't ask about the mop... Just Look Here

Oh am I not good enough :P

I didnt realize you posted lol i only read spoons because he tagged me

Star Citizen is a space sim created by Chris Roberts, the guy who made Wing Commander back in the 'ol days (wich was apparently a huge success). He moved on to Star Citizen (SC) because he has the desire to make the ultumate space sim. Currently run on crowdfunding because it's not out yet, it has raised over 90 million in crowdfunding, the largest campaign ever iirc. Right now the ptu. or public test universe has been out for afew weeks, and have been making good progress twards the official release. Now, I've only been around this community for about three-four (is that right?) months, and have noticed more progress than expected. sure, there have been some hiccoughs on the way, but overall it has been making good headway.

If you need any more info, @Adreyu @rentaspoon @Wauthar and @rucdoc not to mention more, know alot more than me.

Whoops, forgot @Napper198 because I am too tired to think

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

@centurion_08

Spoon, abyss and some of the others (who also actually played the game) already gave some points.

One semi-important point to take out of the Star Citizen issue is that it is a crowdfunding game in development that is controversial as a lot of people wish to see it fail regardless of the actual state of the game just because opinion and hate (warranted or not); most of which never even tried the game in the first place. In all honesty, the game has mechanics and features that already worth the base cost (to at least most of us who play it) and we do indeed hope for what Chris Roberts envisions, which would outclass nearly all AAA titles trying to manage mmo/shooter hybrids. The crucial aspect is what is called the PU or persistent universe. What is currently released, or being tested, is the core game mechanics. The actual mmo aspect with the economy, building, repair/manufacturing, trading, etc is what has yet to be completed. Time frame to completion, and quality of full release is unclear.

Currently you can fly three ship types for free for a bit of time, so I heavily suggest you try it out first and reserve judgement based on your opinions, rather than the mass of man-children complaining about kickstarter this or kickstarter that.

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro