What does the future hold for LGA Socket 1150?

The title says it all. Does anyone have any idea of what the future may hold with LGA Socket 1150 motherboards?

Will Intel be releasing CPU's that will be backwards compatible with current Haswell CPU sockets?

Thanks!

CPU - I7 4770k @ 4.3GHz GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Extreme RAM - 16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133MHz  Case - Corsair 800D PSU - Corsair AX1,200i CPU Cooler - Custom Liquid CPU Cooler SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Hard Drive - Western Digital Black 1TB.

It is rumored that Intel may completely drop the socketed CPUs after a few generations. From 2016 on, there is a high chance that all new CPUs will come soldered onto the motherboard.

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

It is rumored that Intel may completely drop the socketed CPUs after a few generations. From 2016 on, there is a high chance that all new CPUs will come soldered onto the motherboard.

Thats gonna suck

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

My guess is there will be something like Ivy was to Sandy, no real major improvement and then a new socket

Though you could argue Haswell was more of a "tick" than a tock.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Like I don't even know they will probably make another chipset and then abandon it that's because there is no difference between 1155 and 1150 just the cpus

$$金Trill金$$

i think 1155 is dead now.. itll be 1150 for a while then something else

How would that work for the enthusiast market? I mean, we like to pick our own mobos and CPU's.

How would that work for the enthusiast market? I mean, we like to pick our own mobos and CPU's.

As I said it's not definitive yet but possible and as for the enthusiast market. Intel doesn't care too much since most of their profits now come from ultra books but also tablets, not the few enthusiasts.

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

I think that Intel will continue to differentiate the mainstream platform from the enthusiast for example LGA 1150 and LGA 2011, however nobody knows what the future holds so only time will show. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I think that Intel will continue to differentiate the mainstream platform from the enthusiast for example LGA 1150 and LGA 2011, however nobody knows what the future holds so only time will show. 

Or you just buy the board you like that comes with the CPU you like. If there were a Z87-G46 with a 4670 and one with the 4770 k's... you think it would really limit our choice much more? :|

Or you just buy the board you like that comes with the CPU you like. If there were a Z87-G46 with a 4670 and one with the 4770 k's... you think it would really limit our choice much more? :|

I don't and I'm not planing to use LGA 1150 or whatever the mainstream platform would be called by that time so I couldn't care less. What I want is for Intel to leave an open platform for the enthusiasts who want to be able to pick exactly the cpu which they want.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Maybe Intel will start making desktop CPUs that are embedded into motherboards.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

With more and more functionality being moved onto the CPU anyway, I don't think this will be much of a problem. As a recent video showed, there's practically no difference in terms of performance between the cheapest and most expensive motherboards.