120GB SSD or 1TB HD?

tomi1

My old 160gb hard drive that I used for 8 years just died and I don't know what to buy now. I've never used an SSD before and I've heard so many good things about them that make me wanna try one really bad. The problem is, I can't get an SSD AND a Hard drive, I can only get one of the two.

I haven't had that much of a problem with my 160GB HD all these years because I don't store that many files, I mainly have Windows, basic apps like Office, media players, etc. and Steam with my 2 main games CS:GO and H1Z1 wich are both really lightweight. Sometimes I'll install a game or two but I just finish it and uninstall it.

Certainly 1TB will be a lot for me, I don't think I'll even use 500GB to be honest, but I won't have to buy another hard drive for like 5 years minimum.

Do you think the speed of the SSD is worth the lower capacity? I appreciate your opinions Thanks

My old 160gb hard drive that I used for 8 years just died and I don't know what to buy now. I've never used an SSD before and I've heard so many good things about them that make me wanna try one really bad. The problem is, I can't get an SSD AND a Hard drive, I can only get one of the two.

I haven't had that much of a problem with my 160GB HD all these years because I don't store that many files, I mainly have Windows, basic apps like Office, media players, etc. and Steam with my 2 main games CS:GO and H1Z1 wich are both really lightweight. Sometimes I'll install a game or two but I just finish it and uninstall it.

Certainly 1TB will be a lot for me, I don't think I'll even use 500GB to be honest, but I won't have to buy another hard drive for like 5 years minimum.

Do you think the speed of the SSD is worth the lower capacity? I appreciate your opinions Thanks

If you don't use that much storage space then go for the SSD. But there are SSD's for a really cheap price now. Like the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD for $78 USD.

You can always get a hybrid drive. Partially SSD and partially HDD. (The SSD speeds aren't as fast as a solo SSD, but still a lot faster than an HDD. And you'll have more storage overall too.)

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Your pc would benefit a lot from an SSD, if you dont need too much space you should consider spending a little bit more money and maybe get a 250gb ssd.

If you don't use that much storage space then go for the SSD. But there are SSD's for a really cheap price now. Like the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD for $78 USD.

I don't live in the US and the economical situation is really bad here, so yeah :(

I don't live in the US and the economical situation is really bad here, so yeah :(

Where you live?

Where you live?

Argentina.

--

Thanks for the answers guys. I'm almost decided for the SSD. Another question: how bad are the Kingston SSDNow V300 series? The difference in price is really big, for example, for the price of a 120GB Samsung 850 I could get a 240GB Kingston.

Argentina.

--

Thanks for the answers guys. I'm almost decided for the SSD. Another question: how bad are the Kingston SSDNow V300 series? The difference in price is really big, for example, for the price of a 120GB Samsung 850 I could get a 240GB Kingston.

i just bought this for my mums laptop 240sdd and it's not that expensive 

http://www.adata.com/en/ssd/feature/333

Argentina.

--

I really wouldn't recommend that SSD, it's slightly faster than a HDD but not SSD speed.

Would recommen smething like the 850 EVO series from Samsung, 730 series from Intel and SanDisk makes some cheap SSD's too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I really wouldn't recommend that SSD, it's slightly faster than a HDD but not SSD speed.

Would recommen smething like the 850 EVO series from Samsung, 730 series from Intel and SanDisk makes some cheap SSD's too.

Mushkin, Crucial, SanDisk, Samsung, Intel and OCZ make good SSD's.

What do you guys think about this one?   http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Internal-240GB-2-5-Inch-SDSSDA-240G-G25/dp/B00S9Q9VS4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448879888&sr=8-1

By the way, I can not buy anything on amazon, i'm just showing what I could buy here.

Sandisk makes great SSD's, check on Crucial too, they have cheap and good ssd's, the best choice is samsung 850 evo of course, but if you don't have the budget definitely Crucial.