2k on a 1080p display - Will it damage it?

XDroidie626

Okay so I reinstalled Windows 10 yesterday on my desktop and after installing latest Nvidia drivers I found out that the display settings will allow the screen to run at 2k even though the display is only rated to run at 1080p :S
So is this some sort of upscaling or is my display some sort of wizard?

Will running it like this also damage the display?

Thanks!

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

Try it and see if it works. Your screen might be lying.

If it works, then your display controller is doing some downscaling. You might hurt it. I don't believe there's a way to really tell whether you're damaging it until after it breaks.

If you're using something like DSR on your videocard then there's still only a 1080p signal being sent to the screen.

Sig under construction.

Define 2k. As in what is the actual resolution reported.

Because 1080p is technically 2k.

Sounds like Nvidia super resolution to me, the monitor itself is actually still only running at its native resolution, the GPU just renders a larger area, and then downsamples it.

When in doubt, re-format.

did you enable DSR? if so, it is basically NVIDIA's supersampling technique. so it renders the image at a higher res then downscales to native res. 

AMD has the same thing. think it's called virtual resolution 

it will not damage anything

it will make everything look worse and give you less fps in games though

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Sometimes Windows lets you select resolutions that are (much) higher than the actual resolution of the monitor. This is probably what's happening for you. You can try it, it most likely won't break anything, but it won't work or look terrible.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

I havent enabled anything at all, it says it can run upto 4k although it doesn't render correctly goes all strange.

I have done this all through the Windows display settings ill try get a screenshot up of what its displaying.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

how would it make it look worse? DSR makes it sharper if anything

because 1440p does not fit inside 1080p

the pixels are not aligned, that means that the pixels on your 1080p screen will be an average of all the nearby pixels on the 1440p screen

this makes it looks blurry, not sharper

you cannot see something higher than 1080p on a 1080p screen, its impossible

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

because 1440p does not fit inside 1080p

the pixels are not aligned, that means that the pixels on your 1080p screen will be an average of all the nearby pixels on the 1440p screen

this makes it looks blurry, not sharper

you cannot see something higher than 1080p on a 1080p screen, its impossible

Agreed, I thought Super/Uber Sampling was supposed to be the solution to this? 

it technically is.. supersampling raises the res then downscales it to the default res. essentially it's like if you're running at 2k, but you're not.. the extra pixels from 2k can then be used in the 1080p image to apply better AA 

ubersampling renders the image several times 

Edited by Technicolors

why do people use DSR then?? 

DRS or supersampling is the same thing, but the reason people use it is not to get a "sharper" image but rather to have a smoother image

sharp lines and angles get blurred, similar to what antialiasing does

it makes unnaturally sharp images and shapes look more natural, close to what a higher resolution screen does

the thing is, DSR only works in games, so it doesnt affect the desktop or text or other stuff that you DO want to be sharp

changing your monitors resolution will apply to EVERYTHING, not just games

and trust me, it is a pain reading blurry text on a screen...

Spoiler

DSR and Supersampling are not the same thing, even though the same method is used internally by both, the output back to the game or display driver is different.

4x Supersampling and DSR will only have the same image quality if you are downsampling 3840x2160 from 1920x1080.  To the video card, there is no difference in rendering power being used, but the output is different.

4x Supersampling a 1920x1080 resolution only works in games (if they support driver level antialiasing in the first place), and 4x SSAA takes a 1920x1080 source resolution, the video card processes the resolution data as if its 3840x2160, images and polygons and texture data are processed with much more pixel data, then the output is sent back to the game as a 1920x1080 direct resolution.  This causes the game hud and scaling to be completely unchanged, models are still the exact same size and so forth, but the aliasing quality on textures and all objects is much more accurate, as the video card calculated a much higher pixel count internally to render the image, thus removing many of the inaccurate calculations which cause aliasing and shimmering to appear.  It's still there of course, but it's much harder to notice as the output to 1920x1080 is far more accurate.

DSR'ing a 1920x1080 resolution to 3840x2160 is still 4x supersampling, but the difference is the OUTPUT is seen as a 3840x2160 resolution to the game, or windows itself, with the monitor receiving a 1920x1080 signal.  This causes everything to be resized and scaled as if it were actually 3840x2160, which can give you more real estate and view to work with (unlike 1920x1080 4xSupersampling AA), but can cause objects to be smaller and the hud to be much smaller than you would like, unless your game or application has a setting for scaled hud.

The big difference is that DSR tricks the driver into accepting the higher resolution as it's set as a resolution instead of an internal game rendering option (Anti-aliasing) so games that don't support Anti-aliasing will always support DSR.  that's the main difference.  ideally it's better to use Supersampling instead of DSR, if the game supports it, as you keep a properly scaled hud that way and increase image quality without any distortions.

Also note that there is no exact resolution that 2x Supersampling translates to.