Anyone else disappointed with the fallout 4 performance?

zappian

So today I set both fallout 4 and witcher 3 at the same settings ( High preset ) on my rig.

Both games run at the same framerate . 60 FPS on less populated areas and 40-60 FPS in towns and other more populated areas.

Thing is witcher 3 looks magnitudes better and it still runs at the same framerate as fallout 4. One game is demanding because it looks good while the other game is demanding because of poor optimization . When witcher 3 has frame drops I care less because I am happy for what is being presented on the screen.

When fallout 4 drops frames it is far more annoying.

Fallout 4 is probably the most poorly optimized open world  game this year . MGS V , GTA V , Witcher 3 , Mad Max  have done open worlds on the pc with superb optimization , looking and running perfectly .

Bethesda really needs a new engine.

The problem is fallout likes three things you might not have, SSDs, overpowered CPU (i7 or OCed I5) and fast ram (for whatever reason)

Is this ideal, no, but it is normal for bethesda at launch as they make great games with many bugs

BTW I have all of these things so I'm not dissapointed

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I haven't had any fps drops but It does crash a lot and it also uses a lot of CPU usage as well for a game with pretty basic graphics. Never really liked the fallout games but I loved Skyrim, maybe it's just me but Fallout 4 just seems a bit half arsed to me.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

They refuse to fix their own shit. What's more to say?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I haven't had any fps drops but It does crash a lot and it also uses a lot of CPU usage as well for a game with pretty basic graphics. Never really liked the fallout games but I loved Skyrim, maybe it's just me but Fallout 4 just seems a bit half arsed to me.

Skyrim had the same issues (same engine minus some tweaks) but I do prefer Skyrim to Fallout 4, due to the themes and style of Skyrim, my favorite Fallout game remains Fallout NV due to several features and design choices made.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

The problem is fallout likes three things you might not have, SSDs, overpowered CPU (i7 or OCed I5) and fast ram (for whatever reason)

Is this ideal, no, but it is normal for bethesda at launch as they make great games with many bugs

BTW I have all of these things so I'm not dissapointed

I have an i5 4460 that has never failed me in any game.

When you need a 5.0 GHZ cpu to run the game properly I would say its more a problem of the game than the hardware.

Yes I am. They should drop this God's forgotten engine. I remember someone from bethesda once said that they are using this engine, because other engines wouldn't allow devs to do stuffs they want to do. It wouldn't allow them to make buggy and badly optimized games...

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

I have an i5 4460 that has never failed me in any game.

When you need a 5.0 GHZ cpu to run the game properly I would say its more a problem of the game than the hardware.

As I said it has many bugs, more likely the issue is your ram, as many people had an issue on that end

As I said it has many bugs, more likely the issue is your ram, as many people had an issue on that end

My ram is CL7 1600 MHZ .

it has decent speed and low latency . Like I said never had problems with it in any other game.

My ram is CL7 1600 MHZ .

it has decent speed and low latency . Like I said never had problems with it in any other game.

Oh yes it is the games fault, I'm no denying that, it just likes 2000+ Mhz ram, nothing you can really do about it tbh (except OCing your ram, which may not even help)

I've put quite a lot of playtime in this game and had about 20 crashes. i feel like the mods i have active are causing it but even before i had the mods the game crashed. it doesn't help that there's no error message - it just dumps you to the desktop. 

performance is pretty all over the place too. seems like staying indoors is the only sure-fire way to maintain 60fps. otherwise it drops as low as 25fps. i'm pretty conservative with the settings too 

guess i'll have to dink around and see if i can fix this

Yup poor optimisation. Games should take star wars battlefront as an example of good optimisation.

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

My ram is CL7 1600 MHZ .

You're alive! :D :P

haven't seen you for a while on the forums

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Considering I can play Fallout 4 on my 860M, no, I am not disappointed.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Anyone else disappointed with the fallout 4 performance?

Just, you know, virtually everyone who's played long enough to get to Boston or any other part of the commonwealth with a close collection of large buildings.  I mean, I expected as much, but I was still hoping that it would have been a little more optimized.  Still, I'm having way more fun with the game than I thought I would.  And I'm struggling not to just go all out and explore every nook n cranny before GECK is released and the floodgates open for mature mods.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K · MoBo: Asus Maximus Hero IX · RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB 2400MHz CL10) · GPU: EVGA SC+ GTX 980Ti (6 GB)
Case: Fractal Define R5, Black, Windowed · AMC: Corsair H90 with NF-A14 PWM (Pull)  · PSU Corsair HX 750W · SSD: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO
HDDs: WD Black 2TB and 2x Red 5TB · OS: Windows 10 · KB: Logitech 710+ · Mouse: Logitech G700S 
· Monitor: Acer XB270HU