Damaged Motherboard Would you risk it?

Hi, I'm out in the market for a duel socket LGA1366 for my two W5590's but so far the boards seem very rare in nz so i've gone out and looked around currently searching for parts from the USA via Ebay.

They are all very costly at the plus 250NZD for a simple one slot 16x duel socket motherboard but recently i've spotted a seller who wants 50 USD (76NZD) for a motherboard that fits the bill quite well(X8DTH-6F)

However the reason its so cheap is this. Its been damaged in shipping.

Now i'm not stupid and I am aware that could mean the board is as good as a brick at this point however that right there is a 900$ plus board normally.

Even if I was to get it i'd still have to pay 100 bucks or more for shipping and it could get even more damaged but the question is would you risk it?

As long as the soldering is fine it should be fine. My motherboard:

tMvFuPY.jpg

Well I'm unable to confirm if soldering is damaged or not I really wouldn't know how to look.

I wouldn't risk it.

You possibly might be under Ebay's buyer protection, even though I wouldn't risk it.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Well I'm unable to confirm if soldering is damaged or not I really wouldn't know how to look.

If they accept returns and shipping isn't too much you can risk it for a biscuit.

Steve

The capacitors would at least need to be replaced, as the pins have been pulled out, which damages them internally. If you can do this, I would say it is worth a shot, if not, just resell it xD

If they accept returns and shipping isn't too much you can risk it for a biscuit.

They do not accept returns and shipping is really expensive (I could possibly drive the price down to eco shipping or tell him he's selling someone that's broken)

Hi, I'm out in the market for a duel socket LGA1366 for my two W5590's but so far the boards seem very rare in nz so i've gone out and looked around currently searching for parts from the USA via Ebay.

They are all very costly at the plus 250NZD for a simple one slot 16x duel socket motherboard but recently i've spotted a seller who wants 50 USD (76NZD) for a motherboard that fits the bill quite well(X8DTH-6F)

However the reason its so cheap is this. Its been damaged in shipping.

Now i'm not stupid and I am aware that could mean the board is as good as a brick at this point however that right there is a 900$ plus board normally.

Even if I was to get it i'd still have to pay 100 bucks or more for shipping and it could get even more damaged but the question is would you risk it?

Based off the picture I would not risk it. I would definitely say that capacitor is damaged.

If he is not admitting it is damaged (capacitor) I would personally report the sale to ebay.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

The capacitors would at least need to be replaced, as the pins have been pulled out, which damages them internally. If you can do this, I would say it is worth a shot, if not, just resell it xD

It'd be totally worth it with 7 PCI-E 2.0 16x slots. Its one hell of a board. Its just replacing the caps that might be problematic

It'd be totally worth it with 7 PCI-E 2.0 16x slots. Its one hell of a board. Its just replacing the caps that might be problematic

You MIGHT be able to get away with pushing them back on, I would totally go for it. Just power it up with nothing in it, if it does nothing, it is more likely to work than if it decides to burst into flames. What worries me the most is that PCBs these days have several layers INSIDE them (just like the tracks on the top and bottom, but inside fiberglass/copper sandwiches) and if those are damaged, then the board is likely screwed. Worth a shot though, as you can just sell it again if it does not work.

You MIGHT be able to get away with pushing them back on, I would totally go for it. Just power it up with nothing in it, if it does nothing, it is more likely to work than if it decides to burst into flames. What worries me the most is that PCBs these days have several layers INSIDE them (just like the tracks on the top and bottom, but inside fiberglass/copper sandwiches) and if those are damaged, then the board is likely screwed. Worth a shot though, as you can just sell it again if it does not work.

its a board from 2009 might not have that.

I'm going to see if I can't get the seller down on his price. Assuming he really thinks its dead I might be able to score for alot less.

its a board from 2009 might not have that.

I'm going to see if I can't get the seller down on his price. Assuming he really thinks its dead I might be able to score for alot less.

Boards from 15 years ago still used multilayer PCBs. Good luck!

I'd only buy that as a last resort. The caps more than likely need replacing and you'd need to patch the tracks up as well looking at that (have to do something similar with a motherboard that's had some non critical tracks corroded by another motherboard's barrel battery).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL