Spent all money on parts.

Hi i spent all my money ($520) all on parts and did not think of an operating system. in this situation what should i do. 

Hi i spent all my money ($520) all on parts and did not think of an operating system. in this situation what should i do. 

Use Linux!

You can install a trial of Windows 7 or 8.1 or 10 (I believe) and use it as a trial for 90 days, unsure whether you can still do this. I did it for a while.

Sig under construction.

Yup. You will have to use linux until you can afford an OS. Or you can look for cheap legit windows cd keys.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

Ubuntu man. Its better than what you would be paying for anyway.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

you can always deal with a non genuine copy of 10 until you get a valid license 

you can use windows 10 for free, it will just be an unauthenticated version and basically you will be using a beta version with unreleased patches

so you get windows 10 beta basically :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

corsair-logo.png

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

you can use windows 10 for free, it will just be an unauthenticated version and basically you will be using a beta version with unreleased patches

so you get windows 10 beta basically :P

where can i get this? and how do i install it on to the computer.

How do people even get Linux. I haven't researched it much. 

[spoiler=Current Rig] N/A

I feel your pain man. I spent my entire budget buying parts. Fortunately I just use Ubuntu, but today I realized that the ram I had scrapped off an old computer may not work in the rig I'm building, in which case the parts I bought will be about as useless as the cardboard box they come in, because I cant build a computer without ram. At least your problem is software which has... workarounds if your so inclined as to use the internet.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Steam os? So, linux. But with steam os, you can play a decent amout of games. Dont know, but i was assuming this was a gaming build? If not, just use linux. Ubuntu i like, mint i hear is good, but there are a lot to choose from. Just look into it a little bit, and see what suits you the best.

And yes, you can get an iso from windows, and just not activate it, i dont remember exactly how long,(I think it was like 1-3 months) but you can use it that way.

Or there are less legal ways of using windows.

You'll want to install a trial version of windows.  This way you'll have an OS to boot into while you are dealing with the inevitable install problems that Linux creates for 1st time users.  I love linux, but problems are almost guaranteed your first time out.

You'll want to install a trial version of windows.  This way you'll have an OS to boot into while you are dealing with the inevitable install problems that Linux creates for 1st time users.  I love linux, but problems are almost guaranteed your first time out.

Please elaborate. I didn't experience these "install problems."

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Nope, me neither. I would like to know too, for me installing linux was a breeze. But it depends on the version too.

For instance, i have never seen anyone having problems with ubuntu, and the installation is easier then installing windows. Soooo, yeah. What are these supposed problems?

Nope, me neither. I would like to know too, for me installing linux was a breeze. But it depends on the version too.

For instance, i have never seen anyone having problems with ubuntu, and the installation is easier then installing windows.

I've tried a handful versions now. Never experienced anything in the installation process other than it just booting, installing, and then subsequently working.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

GPU drivers.  "I get a black screen when I boot into Ubuntu".  So many threads on the sites I frequent with this problem.

GPU drivers.  "I get a black screen when I boot into Ubuntu".  So many threads on the sites I frequent with this problem.

Weird... I've never seen such a thread. :huh:

Sir, I find your claim to be most dubious.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Weird... I've never seen such a thread. :huh:

Sir, I find your claim to be most dubious.

The comment section vindicates me

The comment section vindicates me

Touche. Guess I just got lucky.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

It still is pretty rare. And its only ubuntu. There are like a 100 different versions. Problems with ubuntu, doesnt mean problems with linux. Ubuntu is linux, but linux isnt ubuntu. Almost all the people in the comments are on laptops. With dual graphics. That is the problem. In windows there are a hell lot of problems with dual graphics too.

Use Linux!

You can install a trial of Windows 7 or 8.1 or 10 (I believe) and use it as a trial for 90 days, unsure whether you can still do this. I did it for a while.

You still can. Technically it will continue to work without updates past the 90 days as well.