Lenovo Windows 8 vote of no confidence by bundling Start menu

Youbetternot

So know Lenovo window 8 products will come with a start menu

Lenovo, the world's largest computer maker, announced today that its Windows 8 PCs will come bundled with the Pokki Start button and menu replacement, along with its desktop mode-oriented app store.The pre-loading will kick off with Lenovo's consumer notebooks and desktops, including IdeaPad and ThinkPad laptops, and IdeaCentre desktops, Lenovo said.

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Good. I hope Modern UI dies in a hole.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Just goes to show this company is listening to their customers and they are showing that Microsoft isn't listening.  Funny for Microsoft not to listen to their customers isn't that right Xbox One Fans :P

Intel 4790k • Asus Z97-A • Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce • G.Skill 1866 4GBx2 • Corsair HX850W PSU • Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler • Intel 530 120GB SSD(OS) • 1TB HDD(Games) • Cooler Master HAF 912 • Logitech G15 Key • Razer Abyssus Mouse • Asus 24in 144hz VG248QE

See, it's the manufacturers that sell the pc's not Microsoft (I am very aware of the MS Surface, but it's a flop). So when the manufacturers take note of a major flaw in an operating system you think Microsoft would catch the drift? Apparently not because 8.1 isn't solving these issues! It's a sad day that a hardware manufacturer like lenovo has to implement software to fix an issue with the operating system that their vast majority of products are based off of. It would be different if Windows was open source like android. Look at Touchwiz and HTC Sense, they implement software changes to better compliment the hardware and improve the user experience in some way. Microsoft is killing themselves with Balmer at the wheel, and it's a matter of time until they adapt or die off. I believe they have some fundamental decisions that they have to make in the near future that will make or break them. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Just goes to show this company is listening to their customers and they are showing that Microsoft isn't listening.  Funny for Microsoft not to listen to their customers isn't that right Xbox One Fans :P

If anything Xbox One proves they can listen to their fans when forced to. Only difference is there's no Sony in the OS world.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

If anything Xbox One proves they can listen to their fans when forced to. Only difference is there's no Sony in the OS world.

If anything Microsoft has probably millions for market research and shouldn't have to proven wrong by their fans is what i'm saying.  I really thought they wouldn't make this many mistakes in 1 year to be honest for what they are i like Microsoft and feel really let down like many others.

Intel 4790k • Asus Z97-A • Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce • G.Skill 1866 4GBx2 • Corsair HX850W PSU • Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler • Intel 530 120GB SSD(OS) • 1TB HDD(Games) • Cooler Master HAF 912 • Logitech G15 Key • Razer Abyssus Mouse • Asus 24in 144hz VG248QE

that's why lenovo is so popular these days. They get shit done. :D

If anything Microsoft has probably millions for market research and shouldn't have to proven wrong by their fans is what i'm saying.  I really thought they wouldn't make this many mistakes in 1 year to be honest for what they are i like Microsoft and feel really let down like many others.

I think big companies are more disconnected than they like to admit. Like with The Old Republic not thinking people would blow through their content in a matter of months; how could they not know there are people who play games 24/7? Point is, none of them have a clue until money talks, and now it's getting off topic so I'll stop replying.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

so when is windows 9 coming out? LOL JK microsoft needs to fix all this. There should be a dedicated "Tablet Mode" or "touchscreen Mode" switch that turns on the Modern UI, otherwise everything needs to be oriented around the desktop. Fix windows 7(not that there is anything wrong with it imo) not totally rebuild the OS.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

This is a great move by Lenovo. I hope it turns out well for them and encourages others to do the same, with or without Microsoft. Or, Microsoft being as they are, will choose to change the licensing terms for their partners to make this sort of thing non-kosher.

I'm still amazed by how many people adamantly prefer multiple clicks with short mouse movements and a lot of scrolling over keyboard shortcuts, lots of options displayed simultaneously, and advanced search functionality.

And this is what happens when people cant accept change & youtubers & bloggers start creating "how to fix windows 8" or "how to uncrap windows 8"

I'm still amazed by how many people adamantly prefer multiple clicks with short mouse movements and a lot of scrolling over keyboard shortcuts, lots of options displayed simultaneously, and advanced search functionality.

KB shortcuts are fine and I use them quite often, however the 'Modern' UI of windows 8 is very jarring at times.Even when on the desktop, some apps still launch in Modern IU. It's a stupid way of doing things that kills multitasking. It's GREAT for tablets and alright for touchscreen laptops, but they should have thought out the desktop implementations and non touch enabled devices. The majority of x86 devices are non touch enabled so why punish them with a confusing and frustrating user interface?

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

And this is what happens when people cant accept change & youtubers & bloggers start creating "how to fix windows 8" or "how to uncrap windows 8"

Change is one thing, FUNDAMENTALLY breaking something is entirely different. Then they said they would fix it, and it isn't going to be so people have the right to bitch.

Hail Sithis!

Yeah, a lot of Windows users aren't power users. At least, not powerful enough to learn and readily use keyboard shortcuts and search functionality. I see these kind of people way too often and I don't think they're the minority.

That is NOT why Lenovo is included a Start Menu. It has nothing to do with confidence.

The Lenovo Start Menu nags you to buy special apps for it.

The idea is that you buy apps from Lenovo own app store, so that you get "locked" with Lenovo. Much like one owning a smart phone, and you spend 200$ on apps, it's a bit hard to say: "Let me switch to another OS based phone, where I'll need to re-buy my software".

The hole concept is quick cash in. Nothing more.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/08/start-menu-on-lenovo-windows-8-pcs-will-nag-you-to-install-apps/

Doesn't affect me. My next Lenovo laptop is going to get the OS replaced with Linux anyway.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

please provide source next time

EDIT

i just looked at Poki start menu

looks worse than modern UI

why not just bundle start 8 or the exact clone start 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

why not just bundle start 8 or the exact clone start 

'cause, like I said, there is no App Store Lenovo can make money on.

The company is bundling SweetLabs Pokki custom UI suite, which adds a Start menu to the Windows 8 taskbar, and lets you boot the operating system straight to desktop, pole-vaulting the Start screen.

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/189483/lenovo-first-major-pc-oem-to-bundle-third-party-windows-8-start-menu.html

Lenovo, you're doing it right :D Hopefully other OEM's follow this example if they are to salvage the terrible Win8 adoption rate.

Thank you for contributing to the news section but next time please use the search function first :P

Original post:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48976-lenovo-windows-8-vote-of-no-confidence-by-bundling-start-menu/?hl=lenovo

CONTEXT OF POST ABOVE:

there was a re post that has been merged with the original post.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<