Comcast finds loop hole in "Net Neutrality"?

Jdogbf

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/comcast-may-have-found-a-major-net-neutrality-loophole/

Comcast says this isn’t a violation of network neutrality law because, although you’re viewing Stream TV on your computer via your Comcast broadband connection, the service isn’t technically offered over the Internet, but over Comcast’s cable television network, much like its Xfinity Xbox 360 service, which allowed Xbox users to view video that didn’t count against their data limits and was shuttered last summer.

So because it is not "internet" it will not count against your data cap. Makes sense, but isn't it prioritizing your own data over others?

Earlier this year the FCC passed the Open Internet Order, which bans internet service providers from giving preferential treatment to some internet traffic over other traffic, meaning that Comcast can’t deliberately slow down, say, Netflix streaming video while giving its own services a boost. However, the agency hasn’t outright banned so-called “zero-rating,” which allows customers to download or stream data from certain services without having it count against their data limits. Instead, the agency will review these services on a case-by-case basis. But Comcast is in a unique position: under the terms of its merger with NBC Universal in 2011, Comcast is specifically barred from zero-rating its own services while counting data from competing services against a data cap.

So yeah... right now it is a gray area, but what do you guys think? Should they be allowed to do this or no and this is against "Net Neutrality"?

My PC Spec:

CPU: Intel i7-8700k @ 3.7GHz, Motherboard: , Memory: 16gb , Storage: , Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB, Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM, Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC(x2), Case: Corsair C70 Green, Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G GOLD, Operating System: Windows 8.1, CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100, Optical Drive: LG Internal Super Multi Drive

The problem is there shouldn't be a data cap in the first place.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Yeah that is true. Unfortunately I am one of the people stuck with the data cap from Comcast. We are paying at the moment 60+ in overages... :(

My PC Spec:

CPU: Intel i7-8700k @ 3.7GHz, Motherboard: , Memory: 16gb , Storage: , Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB, Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM, Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC(x2), Case: Corsair C70 Green, Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G GOLD, Operating System: Windows 8.1, CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100, Optical Drive: LG Internal Super Multi Drive

this man speaks the truth

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Yeah that is true. Unfortunately I am one of the people stuck with the data cap from Comcast. We are paying at the moment 60+ in overages... :(

I feel sad for you, once you get a unlimited plan there is no going back really.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I have comcast but have no cap, maybe that's why they wanted me to get a new modem........

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

If they wish to Implement data caps, they should do It with new costumers not customers who already pays for unlimited data...

If it's travelling over a broadband network, it's travelling on the internet and net neutrality should still apply. Just because it isn't' accessed via a web browser, doesn't mean that it's not on the internet. That means it's not on the World Wide Web.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I have comcast but have no cap, maybe that's why they wanted me to get a new modem........

I don't have a cap either and theres times where I use 2tb of data a month, they don't seem to care at all lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I don't have a cap either and theres times where I use 2tb of data a month, they don't seem to care at all lol

Yeah I've done the same if not worse, I like to download and stream all of the things

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Yeah I've done the same if not worse, I like to download and stream all of the things

Same lol

Usually I am watching twitch if I'm on my pc, or netflix.  Then if I'm in bed bored I'm on netflix/twitch on my tablet, or watching movie sites on my PC lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/comcast-may-have-found-a-major-net-neutrality-loophole/

So because it is not "internet" it will not count against your data cap. Makes sense, but isn't it prioritizing your own data over others?

So yeah... right now it is a gray area, but what do you guys think? Should they be allowed to do this or no and this is against "Net Neutrality"?

honestly while its a gray area, it does make sense. the service isnt available via the internet (i mean it probably is) but while your using your comcast connection it would technically be on their intranet.

Cool, and I hope they and other ISP's exploit the crap out of this loop hole since it too needs to be investigated. This: bullshit. What T-Mobile is doing(boop): bullshit. If we want any kind on an internet that is neutral we cant allow crap like this and should continue pushing for a free(free as in no bogus rules) and not limited internet. Its almost 2016 and ISP's are still treating the internet like its a scarce resource in the 90's, times have changed, hardware has improved, don't let these scumbag ISP's fool you.

Unless they explicitly charge for 2 separate networks and can prove both legitimately exist (Not just the exact same hardware and switches running separate virtual machines or other nonsense like that) it's a bullshit argument.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Comcast will lose customers soon once people realize some of this bullshit. :)

I hope.

They will loose me as soon as Google fiber comes in. :D

My PC Spec:

If it's travelling over a broadband network, it's travelling on the internet and net neutrality should still apply. Just because it isn't' accessed via a web browser, doesn't mean that it's not on the internet. That means it's not on the World Wide Web.

They are the same thing to most people :/ It would take a while to explain the difference to my family.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

They are the same thing to most people :/ It would take a while to explain the difference to my family.

Running on different software doesn't change anything. Unless it's a physically different network, it's still travelling via the internet.

Running on different software doesn't change anything. Unless it's a physically different network, it's still travelling via the internet.

I get that. I'm saying that most people think the web and the internet are the same thing.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I get that. I'm saying that most people think the web and the internet are the same thing.

Oh. Okay then.

It's sad when a comedy bit represents reality.

Post it as a link, FunnyOrDie doesn't let their videos play on other sites.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Post it as a link, FunnyOrDie doesn't let their videos play on other sites.

Link

If it's runs on the same net work then giving that service priority will in effect he limiting the other stuff on the same network, so the service can be argued like compact have but the impact is still against net neutrality.

Thanks but I meant edit your original post, nobody can watch the video from there

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW