Noctua's NH-D15 Versus Five High End Closed Loop Liquid Coolers

4960X

In this review, we will pit the NH-D15 against five high end liquid coolers to see who has the best cooling, lowest noise and greatest value. The NH-D15 is going head-to-head against the Corsair H100i GTX, NZXT Kraken X61, Cooler Master Nepton 240M, DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm Captain 240 and Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme S. These are some of the popular high end closed loop coolers on the market right now so it will be a great way to test them against the NH-D15.

nh-d15-front.jpg

http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/1

kraken x61 looks like a beast. I'm getting it for my bday.

This seems kind of late, I remember looking at these types of comparisons month ago.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

x61 and h110igtx are really good AiOs

just different aesthetics each

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

x61 and h110igtx are really good AiOs

just different aesthetics each

yup, the x61 is a complete monster. I want to get one but they are expensive where I live.

yup, the x61 is a complete monster. I want to get one but they are expensive where I live.

o hey i just noticed youre the guy who linus said your username would go out of date :P lol

hows it feel to be a generation (almost 2) old?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

o hey i just noticed youre the guy who linus said your username would go out of date :P lol

hows it feel to be a generation (almost 2) old?

lmao my 4960x is still holding up great. I plan on keeping it for another 2-3 years. :)

Not really surprising that a 280mm rad outperform a 240mm setup.

I would go with the Noctua either way. Because I enjoy not having a loud system.

but the noise level at load is such a super damn freaking huge difference lol. im rocking custom cooling with 360 rad so probably beat that noise level at load but costing 3 times as much and 10 times more maintenance tho. 

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

Would be nice if Noctua got into liquid cooling. They got a lots of clout in the industry. I think they would make a fantastic product.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

but the noise level at load is such a super damn freaking huge difference lol. im rocking custom cooling with 360 rad so probably beat that noise level at load but costing 3 times as much and 10 times more maintenance tho. 

that's probably because the fans of the nh-d15 run at 1500rpm wheares the other coolers fans go all the way up to 2300rpm.

that's probably because the fans of the nh-d15 run at 1500rpm wheares the other coolers fans go all the way up to 2300rpm.

but the load temperature is real close too tho. i can give up that slightly higher temperature(4 to 6 degrees higher if i remember correctly) for the way lower noise more than 20db which is very significantly audible tho. 

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

Running these coolers with stock fans is fair and all, but I want to know what happens when I throw on some Noctua Fans on those Liquid coolers, and how much of a difference it will really make. That would make for an interesting Article IMO.

I'm not an audiophile, I'm just really picky about my music... and my headphones... and my speakers... and my microphone. Other than that, I'm totally not an audiophile.

Would be nice if Noctua got into liquid cooling. They got a lots of clout in the industry. I think they would make a fantastic product.

I find it pretty unlikely they would do anything other than license someone else's cooler and slap their fans on it which doesnt do anything to actually improve the market at all.

What we really need is more than 2-3 makers of AIO systems that everyone else rebrands. Its the same shit for like most computer parts. There are only a few companies who actually make memory or psus and things of the like. Not enough competition to actually improve the market.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

I was going to buy NH-D15 for Christmas/Black Friday but ran out of stock at the site I wanted to buy at.

Running these coolers with stock fans is fair and all, but I want to know what happens when I throw on some Noctua Fans on those Liquid coolers, and how much of a difference it will really make. That would make for an interesting Article IMO.

Corsair fans aren't THAT much behind, and the SPL's that come with the GTX are pretty good.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

soo, like, what Linus did more than a year ago lol? (Skip to 4:49 for the graphs)

I find it pretty unlikely they would do anything other than license someone else's cooler and slap their fans on it which doesnt do anything to actually improve the market at all.

What we really need is more than 2-3 makers of AIO systems that everyone else rebrands. Its the same shit for like most computer parts. There are only a few companies who actually make memory or psus and things of the like. Not enough competition to actually improve the market.

That's very true about needing more competitors. I didn't realize Noctua didn't design their own coolers in house. Thank you for that. Their fans are awesome though hence why my system is all Noctua fans. :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

soo, like, what Linus did more than a year ago lol? (Skip to 4:49 for the graphs)

I saw that video, it's what convinced me to buy the H110. I was thinking about the noise levels part of the article when I wrote my post. I should have been more specific!  :P

I'm not an audiophile, I'm just really picky about my music... and my headphones... and my speakers... and my microphone. Other than that, I'm totally not an audiophile.

That's very true about needing more competitors. I didn't realize Noctua didn't design their own coolers in house. Thank you for that. Their fans are awesome though hence why my system is all Noctua fans. :)

Their tower coolers are actually their own designs (So far as im aware). Its just designing a new system for AIO coolers costs millions of dollars and more man hours than most companies want to spend. That's why most companies license out one of the existing designs. Seeing as it took them years and years to give us black fans (and even then not totally) when everyone begged for them and they could see they would sell a lot, it doesn't seem super likely that they will be willing to drop huge amounts of cash for something that no one is asking for more of.

I think the current market for AIOs is way too saturated until someone comes up with something that is actually new and adds something needed to the market.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Their tower coolers are actually their own designs (So far as im aware). Its just designing a new system for AIO coolers costs millions of dollars and more man hours than most companies want to spend. That's why most companies license out one of the existing designs. Seeing as it took them years and years to give us black fans (and even then not totally) when everyone begged for them and they could see they would sell a lot, it doesn't seem super likely that they will be willing to drop huge amounts of cash for something that no one is asking for more of.

I think the current market for AIOs is way too saturated until someone comes up with something that is actually new and adds something needed to the market.

Imagine Noctua releasing a, relatively speaking, small phase change cooler with a reasonable price. Noctua can make it as brown as they want and I'd still buy the heck out of it O_O

very interesting, so see such AIO coolers see their asses being kicked by a simple air-cooling unit.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

very interesting, so see such AIO coolers see their asses being kicked by a simple air-cooling unit.

And people will pay more money, have more noise, get less cooling around the VRM and other nearby components and a million fold increase in failure/damage risk for.... what? To be able to fit taller heatsinks for their RAM? 

Never understood AiO appeal

And people will pay more money, have more noise, get less cooling around the VRM and other nearby components and a million fold increase in failure/damage risk for.... what? To be able to fit taller heatsinks for their RAM? 

Never understood AiO appeal

I can understand the appeal of it looking more elegant and less huge in a case with a window or when you are limited on cooler height it might be appealing, but when it comes to a situation where the case is closed and everything fits, it is hard to find a appealing factor in my eyes.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I was going to buy NH-D15 for Christmas/Black Friday but ran out of stock at the site I wanted to buy at.

Tried Newegg over at eBay? Also, why not get the NH-D15S since it addressed some of the d15's clearance issues.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

I dropped my pc and bent my NHD-14 now it hits 80+ c at 4.6@ 1.26v :'(

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R