Can motherboard be a bottleneck?

Go to solution Solved by Boink,

Motherboards are not a bottleneck to performance, but they can restrict future expansion. Things like SLI/Crossfire, M.2 support, additional RAM slots, overclocking support, and more are things that you should be looking for in a new motherboard.

I'm a below average gamer & not a big fan of overclocking. More often I work in Photoshop. I'm trying to build a new PC.

i5 6500, 16GB ram, Samsung 840 evo SSD, thermaltek 550w
GPU: AMD 380 4GB from gigabyte

Now, if I go for a B150 mobo(Gigabyte G1.Sniper B7) , will that be a bottleneck?
or I have to use z170 based gaming mobo to get the full potential of AMD 380.

[i've figured out- I don’t need those extra connectivity that z170 offers]

I'm a below average gamer & not a big fan of overclocking. More often I work in Photoshop. I'm trying to build a new PC.

Now, if I go for a B150 mobo(Gigabyte G1.Sniper B7) , will that be a bottleneck?

Nope

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

I wouldnt get a b150 but its not really a bottleneck for a non k cpu

Motherboards are not a bottleneck to performance, but they can restrict future expansion. Things like SLI/Crossfire, M.2 support, additional RAM slots, overclocking support, and more are things that you should be looking for in a new motherboard.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

I mean if anything it could, theoretically, be considered a bottle neck if it makes it harder for you to over clock but a sniper board should do you just fine.  Get MSI after burner and you can put a 380 through a lot but not much.  They are known for low OC potential.

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

Just saying, but you should change out the PSU for something from the EVGA GS/G2 series or any from XFX, Seasonic or Superflower.

Why?

Maybe not this mobo, but they can actually be a little bottleneck. For example the msi sli kraken(not sure if that was the name) performance bad in sli. Another example would when I went from z87 to z97 and got a little gpu performance boost. Both system were fresh installed and had the same hardware.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

While motherboards won't produce any noticeable performance differences, motherboards can increase or decrease performance of parts.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The B150 has everything you need and its going to perform the same as a Z170, its probably a harvested Z170 die where some of the parts were disabled due to a fault in the original chip (a common thing with silicon). Its not a problem, if you don't want those USB 3.1 slots and PCI 8x/8x (this one is fixed to 16x/4x) and such there is no point paying for them.

Yes a motherboard can become a bottleneck source.... But that takes such a long time that it isn't worth considering. For example, a board that uses ide connections for drives would bottleneck a system.... But then again those boards went extinct over a decade ago.

So yeah, any new motherboard you get will not bottleneck anything for quite some time.... Unless you put your graphics card in a pcie 2.0 4x slot

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old topic but just because the answer is not true, actually the motherboard is the main driver of your system and it can surely cause a bottleneck if it is not good in providing good comunication between parts or driving it in a bad way especialy when we are talking about the latest CPUs generations of intel, so I hope this will give better understanding for the state.

I don't know about bottleneck, but a better motherboard can definitely push your components further. For example, I went from b450 strix to x470 strix to x470 crosshair. Saw a performance bump each upgrade. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build