Home network media/backup server: suggestions help & ideas wanted.

So once im finished my new build & use the leftover parts to setup my brothers build i wanted to get a home server going.

This is partially inspired by the Black Dwarf so ill definately be making my own enclosure.

Probally be 2014 before i proceed with anything, im just getting some ideas to ponder on.

I have no defined budget but i want it to do what it needs to do well, efficiently and quietly while spending as little as possibe.

I have no hardware set in stone as i have no experience with low end server type parts.

Things it will do:

-It will hold all our Photos & movies in one central location to be viewed on the TV or streamed to other computers on demand.

-Will run backups for 2 PC's & a laptop.

-It will basically be running 24/7 so for dad to allow it to exist it MUST be low power consumption!

-It will have a raid 5 array with 4x2TB drives to start.

-The most strain on it i can imagine is watching a movie & streaming another 2 at the same time.

-Youtube & general web browsing are most likely with a possible chance of minecraft type games.

-Be silent!!!

-Will install the OS on a 60GB Vertex 3 I'll soon have spare.

Questions:

-Getting a raid card, never had one, what should I look for in one? or will onboard raid be good enough? Will start with 4 drives, later 6 drives, 8 would be the max.

-Are you able to add new drives without re-formatting the whole array later down the track?

-I have a spare 2TB barracuda i'll use but i've not decided what new drives to buy, WD Reds or Greens.

-Would Caching the array be of any real benefit?

-Will Windows 8 be fine or would windows home server be a better option(never experienced it)

-What platform should i use for low power consumption but not be terrible when someone wants to use it?  FM2 APU be a good idea? 1155 i3 3220T? any i3 cpu's coming for 1150? are atom boards just tooo low end?

I plan to mount the HDD in a way so the aluminium case acts as a heat sink to aid in cooling and help keep the fans quiet.

If its got a good APU I think i'll make it Mini itx. If not ill go micro so i can add a basic gpu if we end up needing it.

This is just me venting my idea and getting my feelers out, any input is welcome :)

Aussie FTW!
4770k, H60, GTX 780, G1 Sniper 5, Samsung EVO 250GB, Seagate 2TB, Vengance Pro RAM 2133mhz 8GB, Silverstone Strider 850w
The Monolith Desk - build log incomplete.

First of all, check out http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/46577-building-a-nas-how-do-you-start-guide/

-Getting a raid card, never had one, what should I look for in one? or will onboard raid be good enough? Will start with 4 drives, later 6 drives, 8 would be the max.

I recommend getting a RAID card, maybe a HighPoint Rocket 2720SGL would be a good solution, it can support up to 8 drives.

-Are you able to add new drives without re-formatting the whole array later down the track?

It depends on the RAID card, the HighPoint one does, according to the website.

-I have a spare 2TB barracuda i'll use but i've not decided what new drives to buy, WD Reds or Greens.

Barracuda's are fine, but I would recommend getting all the same drives (same model, same revision) because it can course problems otherwise.

-Would Caching the array be of any real benefit?

On an array for only movies, not really.

-Will Windows 8 be fine or would windows home server be a better option(never experienced it)

I would not recommend running a consumer OS on a NAS. I personally have bad experience with Windows OS's for servers. I recommend getting FreeNAS, but then you won't be able to use it as a desktop.

-What platform should i use for low power consumption but not be terrible when someone wants to use it?  FM2 APU be a good idea? 1155 i3 3220T? any i3 cpu's coming for 1150? are atom boards just tooo low end?

Check out the 'Building a NAS'-guide.

Just to expand a bit on what Ssoele mentioned... if you want to use as a desktop as well you are kind of limited to Windows. Which, then, use Windows 8 and use Storage Spaces. This is software based raid, so you won't need a RAID card, but an HBA only if you want more drives then onboard sata ports. Just be aware of some of the limitations of Storage Spaces, but overall it is an ok solution.

If using Storage Spaces, you can expand the "space" without for formatting. Most decent RAID cards also allow for this. 

For drives in a NAS - go with RED - designed for NAS systems.

As Ssoele mentioned, I much prefer a dedicated NAS solution, I use unRaid myself. Very efficient box, tucked away in the corner. Then build yourself on "ok" family PC for doing everything else...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Wow great write up Ssoele. very helpful.

it's not a familly pc and gaming is more of an optional extra and most likely won't happen.

But I definately want it to access it's own files for playback & have an internet browser for YouTube etc.

Aussie FTW!
4770k, H60, GTX 780, G1 Sniper 5, Samsung EVO 250GB, Seagate 2TB, Vengance Pro RAM 2133mhz 8GB, Silverstone Strider 850w
The Monolith Desk - build log incomplete.

Wow great write up Ssoele. very helpful.

it's not a familly pc and gaming is more of an optional extra and most likely won't happen.

But I definately want it to access it's own files for playback & have an internet browser for YouTube etc.

You could just share your drives through the network and sharing center in Windows.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.