After Endless Demonization Of Encryption, Police Find Paris Attackers Coordinated Via Unencrypted SMS

Kiska

I think this is tech news worthy seeing as it pertains to encryption and how currently governments are fighting to ban or back door it.

In the wake of the tragic events in Paris last week encryption has continued to be a useful bogeyman for those with a voracious appetite for surveillance expansion. Like clockwork, numerous reports were quickly circulated suggesting that the terrorists used incredibly sophisticated encryption techniques, despite no evidence by investigators that this was the case. These reports varied in the amount of hallucination involved, the New York Times even having to pull one such report offline. Other claims the attackers had used encrypted Playstation 4 communications also wound up being bunk.

Yet pushed by their sources in the government, the media quickly became a sound wall of noise suggesting that encryption was hampering the government's ability to stop these kinds of attacks. NBC was particularly breathless this week over the idea that ISIS was now running a 24 hour help desk aimed at helping its less technically proficient members understand encryption (even cults help each other use technology, who knew?). All of the reports had one central, underlying drum beat implication: Edward Snowden and encryption have made us less safe, and if you disagree the blood is on your hands.

Yet amazingly enough, as actual investigative details emerge, it appears that most of the communications between the attackers was conducted via unencrypted vanilla SMS.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20151118/08474732854/after-endless-demonization-encryption-police-find-paris-attackers-coordinated-via-unencrypted-sms.shtml

what about the report saying they use PS4 to plan attacks?

so that report is kinda debunk

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

proves how useless the NSA is

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

There already has been issued an apology about misinformation. Sony also replied about the safety/security iof its own customers, whatnot.

source

source

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

That was unconfirmed... I think.

Source

Afaik that was taken from an interview the Belgium pm gave several days before the attack.

You will need to edit your post to be in line with our requirements for Tech News. Until then, it remains in General Discussion.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-read-before-posting-in-this-section/

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

trying to outlaw encryption will prevent literally no crime. It literally makes it easier for criminals to steal information by not having to deal with security. 

France knows this from experience in the 90s and with Windows NT.

If you go into a Windows NT machine with encryption enabled and you set the language and region to France, it just quietly turns off all encryption. and I mean ALL OF THE ENCRYPTION. No password hashing, nothing. and that was a disaster, it was a total trainwreck, and France legalized encryption soon thereafter.

So these governments are pushing to be in a situation that France decided not to be in. And uhhh, lemme tell you, it's gonna be really bad.

And we already know that that sort of anti-encryption legislation is a load of bullshit, and this report confirms that. Also shows that the government isn't as attentive to SMS communications as we thought.

You will need to edit your post to be in line with our requirements for Tech News. Until then, it remains in General Discussion.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-read-before-posting-in-this-section/

It is in line

This just proves that the whole data collection scheme is useless.  We're dealing with suspects that are already known to the intelligence community, have been investigated and apparently it STILL is too difficult to read their friggin unencrypted text messages. 

The haystack has gotten so big that they don't even know if there's a needle in there anymore, and I'm betting that their "solution" will be to make it even bigger.

Watch this never hit mainstream media. Especially in the UK.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

This only proves one thing: surveillance isn't the answer. Cutting of income and recruitment lines is.