IGN Reviews? Should they be trusted?

Assassin

So, what do you guys think about IGN reviews? For me they seem very erratic in giving out game scores.  

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

nope

you're usually better off checking what the general consensus is and watching some gameplay footage. The only reviews I like are from Zero Punctuation off of youtube, but even those are somewhat cynical.

Error: 410

More importantly never trust their how to build a gaming pc guide 

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

No way, they are either paid of reviews where if you dont give enough money you don't get a good score, or written by complete idiots.

Just do a quick youtube search and you will find lots more crediable people....gamesweasel, TB, angryjoe to name a few.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ

About EA but relevant to IGN.(skip to 1:09)

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

More importantly never trust their how to build a gaming pc guide 

True: This was in their How to build a computer guide. The cons section reads as follow

Cons:

1. Less to no warranty or technical support
  2. Time dedication required for shopping and assembly (unless purchase is from a custom pc building service)
  3. Various specials and deals on peripherals (beware of misleading or useless extra items.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Well here is something about IGN that you gave link for earlier.

IGN wrote a corporate apologists editorial a few days ago pretty much saying that all this "hate" for EA is really unfounded. The article completely overlooks every consumer complaint leveled against the company, and there are 10 simple reasons why people hate EA and it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

Let's get one thing clear, though, no one should be surprised that a site like IGN, who is corporate-first and consumer-last, would do a pro-EA article where they ask EA's Peter Moore why people hate EA, and come up with a bunch of excuses why the "hate" shouldn't exist. I mean, do you really think any figurehead at EA is going to come clean about why they receive the hate? Of course not.

Then again, IGN is the same company where former IGN editor Kristine Steimer reviewed Dragon Age 2, and then shortly thereafter went to work at BioWare. Yeah, there's nothing suspicious about that, right? IGN is also the same place where another employee actually appeared in a game, Jessica Chobot, and then they went and gave that same game a glowing review, which they include in their pro-EA article. Heck, this is the exact same company that coined the phrase "entitled gamers" after defending EA over the Mass Effect 3 ending. Could IGN be anymore pro-EA?

Well, that's a discussion for another day, the phalanx and halo combination of IGN's corporate media pandering and EA's capitalistic industrialism is a match made in industry-monopoly heaven. But the reality is that consumers, enthusiasts and gamers who hate EA do so for all the following reasons compounded together:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Why-People-Hate-EA-Ten-Simple-Reasons-43696.html

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

I just follow meta critic or something that averages the scores of various sites and sources

I heard IGN rating are by how much the companies paid them or something.But IDK if that's true or not. If I'm skeptical about getting a game I usually just watch some game play videos and if it seems fun I would get it.

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

True: This was in their How to build a computer guide. The cons section reads as follow

Cons:

1. Less to no warranty or technical support
  2. Time dedication required for shopping and assembly (unless purchase is from a custom pc building service)
  3. Various specials and deals on peripherals (beware of misleading or useless extra items.

also they went socket 2011 and got a 3820 and then got a 670 to save money, they must have been sponsored by alienware to make decisions like that

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

ZeitgeistGameReview on youtube is also pretty good but no, I never trust IGN for reviews anymore.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

you should never really trust any review, see/read a few and then take the average from that. But just taking one review from someone? Nope

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Why? A 3820 is on par with a 3770k/4770k? Only drawback is the extra cost of the motherboard, but you can still pick up a decent one like an AsRock Extreme 6 for 230 odd dollars. And a 670 was pretty much on par with the 680.

The 3820 is not on par with the 4770k..

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Why? A 3820 is on par with a 3770k/4770k? Only drawback is the extra cost of the motherboard, but you can still pick up a decent one like an AsRock Extreme 6 for 230 odd dollars. And a 670 was pretty much on par with the 680.

EDIT- the 3820 is also conciderably cheaper than a 3770k or 4770k too

an i5 would have been enough for gaming and then they could have gone xfire 7950s or something like that either way the build was painful to watch  

I've not actually seen the video myself so I can't really make an opinion, I was just really wondering about your doubts over the 3820

purely for gaming I would never go with one but I also wouldn't go with any i7 for that as of now 

IGN is a tricky beast. A key thing to remember is that all reviews are opinions of 1 guy or several people. What they say isn't fact and as a reader you shouldn't take everything they say to heart. It doesn't matter if it was IGN or if it was Rev 3 games, it's all just an opinion and asking if their opinion can be "trusted" really can't be answered becuase it is just an opinion not a fact.

Rev3 games and Gametrailers.com for reviews - AND gametrailer's Invisible Walls show every weekend where they usually discuss it more with others

ElderGeek is good (youtube channel), but they're small so sometimes slow on reviewing newer titles

but even then, make your own opinion. If it simply doesn't look or sound fun to you, then just don't bother

every review is an opinion

Oh no. A don't even watch their video based reviews. I mean the COD review, just omg.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

AngryReviews and TotalBiscuit's WTFs are so much better than IGN reviews..

Don't trust ._. at all

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

AngryReviews and TotalBiscuit's WTFs are so much better than IGN reviews..

Totalbiscuits WTFS are not Reviews they are First looks and impressions and should be taken as such. Angry Joe's Angry Reviews are a real review that go over half a hour.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

I like GiantBomb, The Indoor Kids, and The Patch/Achievement Hunter (RoosterTeeth). I like the RT videos and I usually like what they play.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 MB: MSI Z77A-GD55  CPU: i5 3330 OCd to 3.4Ghz CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 2x8GB @ 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming PSU: Seasonic M12II 650W HDD: Two Seagate Barracuda 2TB @ 7200 RPM SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB