Scared of flying?

Overkilled

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Im not usually scared of flying Id say im well travelled for my age but ive never been outside of Europe or on a flight more than a few hours. Im going to New york in about 12 days and all the stuff happening in France is making me a bit hesitant of flying on a 7 hour flight to the so called capital of the world 

Don't be so melodramatic, statistically speaking you're safer on a plane than in a car.  Planes have multiple redundant systems, some of which are not fully operating 100% of the time yet they still make it back and forth between airports.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

id rather die from my mistake then someone elses.

you do realize that there are other people driving.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

you do realize that there are other people driving.

unfortunately

I much prefer flying if the drive is 6 hours or more. I just went to a robotics competition that was about 11hrs each way. That sucked, but at least I had plenty of friends to talk to and screw around with during the drive. Flying over the ocean sketched me out a bit when I flew from IL to Puerto Rico two years ago. But if anything went wrong, the chances of having a good water landing are much higher than the chances of having a good land landing. 

Make sure you are up to date on your shots (if you use them) and make sure to wash/sanitize your hands. Odds are someone on that plane is sick and you don't want to catch it and ruin your trip. Stay away from any food that might upset your stomach for the day of and day before the flight. You probably already know this kind of stuff since you are well traveled, but a little refresher never hurts. 

The odds of dying in a plane crash are very high, id rather drive.

Drive from england to new york?

Its not fatal.

Your fucking dead if your not near a airport

fatal means deadly like you will die....

I flew from new york to england, it was fine, they have movies on the planes

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

You're not going to die, there's nothing to be afraid of.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Im not usually scared of flying Id say im well travelled for my age but ive never been outside of Europe or on a flight more than a few hours. Im going to New york in about 12 days and all the stuff happening in France is making me a bit hesitant of flying on a 7 hour flight to the so called capital of the world 

I come from a family full of pilots so I feel I know what I'm talking about.

The pilots don't want to die. Pilots are some of the most intelligent people you can find. They know their limits and what they are capable of. If they're willing to make the flight, it's safe to fly.

Airport security is extremely tight in 'western' countries, I wouldn't worry about having problems in the flight, I'd me more worried about problems getting to the airport.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Drive from england to new york?

It's just a short drive over the pond. 

I come from a family full of pilots so I feel I know what I'm talking about.

The pilots don't want to die. Pilots are some of the most intelligent people you can find. They know their limits and what they are capable of. If they're willing to make the flight, it's safe to do fly.

Airport security is extremely tight in 'western' countries, I wouldn't worry about having problems in the flight, I'd me more worried about problems getting to the airport.

The TSA, while strict, also misses quite a bit (not to mention all the bribery that takes place). Also, you do end up with pilots who are desperate for money (thus will take the chance). Plus, pilots due also make compromises....I'm sure they're not thrilled with most airlines' policy of run to failure. 

Note: I'm not blaming them for missing stuff, it's inevitable due to the shear volume of people they need to deal with.  

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Its not fatal.

Your fucking dead if your not near a airport

how often are you that far away from an airport..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

how often are you that far away from an airport..

When you are flying from England to NY like he said.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

When you are flying from England to NY like he said.

I don't know about NYC but from London to Toronto and Calgary the plane is usually quite close to the coasts of Greenland. It could also be the Mercator map playing tricks on my eyes. Also make sure you have travel insurance or whatever it is you need. You don't want to end up paying $200000 because you tripped.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I don't know about NYC but from London to Toronto and Calgary the plane is usually quite close to the coasts of Greenland. It could also be the Mercator map playing tricks on my eyes. Also make sure you have travel insurance or whatever it is you need. You don't want to end up paying $200000 because you tripped.

The flight path from London to NY is similar, the airlines do generally try to stay relatively close to land when given the option; but even still, close enough to reach it and do an emergency landing in time...well, that depends on what the emergency is (if all the engines fail, however unlikely that may be, you're never going to reach land in time).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The flight path from London to NY is similar, the airlines do generally try to stay relatively close to land when given the option; but even still, close enough to reach it and do an emergency landing in time...well, that depends on what the emergency is (if all the engines fail, however unlikely that may be, you're never going to reach land in time).

the chance of all 4 engines dying at once is extremely low. Commercial planes are designed to be able to run on half the engines I believe.

the chance of all 4 engines dying at once is extremely low. Commercial planes are designed to be able to run on half the engines I believe.

I was just giving an extreme example; and can't the new 747-800 get by on a single engine even? (I thought I read that somewhere) 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I was just giving an extreme example; and can't the new 747-800 get by on a single engine even? (I thought I read that somewhere)

I believe so. I have a picture of a plane I was with tape on the wings give me a minute to find it..

Edit https://goo.gl/photos/YmoQUpevGiCrkRFa8

The odds of dying in a plane crash are very high, id rather drive.

How far away from your aiport do you live? If it's more than a few miles, you're more likely to get into a crash and die on your way to the airport than on your flight.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

I'm in the same boat really, I've never been out of Europe, furthest I've been is Cyprus. Honestly I wouldn't worry about going to New York, you're probably safer to fly now than at any other time, because airport security will be ridiculously high.

Airport security doesn't stop planes in fucking 2015 "disappearing" lol.

I believe so. I have a picture of a plane I was with tape on the wings give me a minute to find it..

Edit https://goo.gl/photos/YmoQUpevGiCrkRFa8

Run to failure, it's a good policy ;) 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Airport security doesn't stop planes in fucking 2015 "disappearing" lol.

Heightened security will more likely catch people with wrongful intentions. Of course, there is the case of the crew potentially being the threat, but that's also unlikely. It's also severely unlikely IS is going to have surface to air missiles over the Atlantic.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Heightened security will more likely catch people with wrongful intentions. Of course, there is the case of the crew potentially being the threat, but that's also unlikely. It's also severely unlikely IS is going to have surface to air missiles over the Atlantic.

Do we even know what happened to that plane that disappeared over the ocean though? I can't remember which one since theres been so many in the past year or 2 lol.

Do we even know what happened to that plane that disappeared over the ocean though? I can't remember which one since theres been so many in the past year or 2 lol.

It was the hash slinging slasher